IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

NEVER debate the concept of daylight savings with Queenslanders or West Australians...... they get this glazed look in their eyes, and it's a signal to back away slowly..... :lol:

Weather here in Jakarta: Overcast, Min 25, Max 31. I like it...I like it a lot.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Hey... I grow up in the tropics, I think it is just wrong if the sun is down at 8.30!!! It is just not natural. The sun should be down about 6.30-7.00 just as they should. Then we have tea, put the kids to bed & put ourselves to bed.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

NEVER debate the concept of daylight savings with Queenslanders or West Australians...... they get this glazed look in their eyes, and it's a signal to back away slowly..... :lol:

Regards

Michael

LOL. I know you love it Michael.

A bet it's good to be all warm and tropical up there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hey... I grow up in the tropics, I think it is just wrong if the sun is down at 8.30!!! It is just not natural. The sun should be down about 6.30-7.00 just as they should. Then we have tea, put the kids to bed & put ourselves to bed.

Agree.

When I went to England a couple of years back we were watching the sun go down on a beach near Newcastle near the summer solstice close to 11pm and it took forever. In fact it didn't go down quickly like it does here. Here, you have to watch it because 1 minute later and it's gone. Instead, it slowly made it's way sideways to the horizon and then took ages to disappear. At midnight it was still bright and at 2am there still was a glow. The sun kind of travelled around the horizon because we were so far north, only 500 miles from Norway actually. Also it was freezing cold in the middle of summer. Quite an experience for us two Aussies.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Daylight saving is wonderful. Instead of sleeping through the hours of the day when its cool enough to do things, you are up and at it. Instead of cooking and eating dinner you can be outside in the garden. I think it should be 2 instead of 1 hour ahead. I lived with it for a long time and its so practical. Yes I have heard all the arguments about it fading the curtains and kids dying on the way home from school because its too hot when they finish for the day. Even the one about waiting until all the old people die before they change it over. Daylight saving...bring it on. People travelling here wouldnt have to set back their watches one hour and 30 years either.....just the 30 years !!

Peachy

It's no good in really hot climates. SE QLD geographically is about 20min ahead of EST anyway (the sun comes up earlier than it should if you know what I mean). So when you get daylight saving you only jump 40min ahead of your geographic time. So for example the sun is highest in the sky roughly at 11.40am in Brisbane, but with daylight saving it would shift to 12.40pm. Here in Perth the sun is highest at 12.20pm, so with daylight saving the sun is highest at 1.20pm. It may not sound that much but it does mess with your head after a while. I probably would tolerate it more now, as I don't start work as early any more. Because I do outdoor work, I can't start until the sun is well up anyway. (On that note- tradies usually start as the sun comes up. You get two types of commuters, tradies and office sales staff who often start around 9am. Usually early traffic is just tradies and by the time office staff are off to work, the tradies have started. Here you get massive traffic bank ups around March just before daylight saving finishes. Everyone is on the road together. Then we go back to standard time and the roads free up. For the 3 years we had it trialled here, it happened every year.) I must admit I did like the fact that you could come home and stay in the garden until 8.30pm after work. It was a bit of a trap. I was having dinner at 10pm and going to bed a midnight all the time. By the time mid autumn came I was a zombie.

Lastnight we had a min of 13C and the RH didn't drop below 97% all night, we even got a mm of rain. Going for 21C today. Really good Chambeyronia lepidota growing weather. Woohoo. If only winter was like this all the way through.

Best regards

Tyrone

Unless you are like me - a tradie who starts with the office workers. :D

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Years back I spent some time in northern Europe. The first summer I couldn't get over the fact of it being bright daylight up to 11:00 pm. Then, being a morning person, I was devastated by waking up each day at first light - 3:00 am! It wrecked me. More evenly spaced sun up and sun down works better for me.

Looks like we're being plunged into winter again. Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 17.2C (63.0F). (Middle Point got down to 12.8C (55.0F).) Humidity rose to 92% but it was a fair bit lower than that most of the night. Maximum got to 32.7C (90.9F), humidity bottomed at 30%.

The prevailing wind is now east to east south east, but nights are calm. As the winds swing more to the south east we'll get colder and drier air coming through. Calm at night won't make things better.

Tyrone, how come you get all that air coming through from Sumatra? Who do you know that I don't? A similar thing is happening east of New Caledonia. But all we manage is cold dry air.

Yeah, we're getting dewpoints from 12-14C. Pretty weird. The air will dry out next week and it will get cold at night again.

Best regards

Tyrone

We're getting air from Queensland at the moment. It was 14c here this morning when I woke up. Not bad for my part of the world.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

31deg today and only 28% humidity!!! Nice for people but the garden is so washed out!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Pleasant winter weather here so far. Today was great, 23C, no breeze or cloud...great weather for the garden. The forecast looks good too...

Forecast for Monday

Fine. Light to moderate SW winds, turning E/SE during the afternoon and

freshening a little.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 10 Max 22

Bayside: Min 9 Max 22

UV Alert: 11:40 am to 12:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Tuesday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 13 Max 21

Wednesday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 14 Max 21

Thursday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 14 Max 22

Friday Mostly fine. Min 13 Max 22

Saturday Mostly fine. Min 11 Max 22

Sunday Mostly fine. Min 12 Max 22

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We're getting air from Queensland at the moment. It was 14c here this morning when I woke up. Not bad for my part of the world.

hot air from Qld to NZ ? it's usually the other way round... :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Regards

Michael

:floor:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 20.5C (F) this morning. Humidity peaked at 81% but again most of the night was significantly below this. Maximum today was 31.3C (F) with humidity bottoming at 26%. The prevailing wind now is south south east to south east, and has been gusty during the day. Tomorrow and the day after are the shortest days of the year.

Tried to do some watering today but I gave up after an hour it was just too cold to stay outdoors. Supposedly it was 21 but felt much colder. Decided to stay indoors and play the piano....oh Chopin Chopin, why did you leave us so young. Some of the palms are looking a bit stressed, mainly those tropical species in pots. Most of the inground stuff is hanging in there with just a few spots and blemishes. Tonight is freezing and its forecast to fall to 3 overnight. Just over 8 right now but feels more like 2. Time to invest in some bedsocks I think.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Nice peachy... I haven't played Chopin for years... I am very very very bad at it now...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Had another 21C day today. Still and blue skies. People are still walking around in shorts and t-shirts. 21C tomorrow then 20c on Tuesday. Winter solstice tomorrow, then at least the sun will be coming south again, even if the weather doesn't warm up again instantaneously.

Best regards

Tyrone

Our wintery blast may not end up too bad. The high pressure bringing up all that cold air is moving a bit faster that I anticipated. Wind looks like swinging back more to the east. Completely calm nights could still bring a chill though, it's still only June.

Overnight it got down to 16.9C (62.4F), thanks to the wind. But humidity was only up to 74%, also thanks to the wind. Maximum today got up to 31.7C (89.1F) with humidity down to 36%.

Playing Chopin Peachy? No wonder your palms are doing well.

Our wintery blast may not end up too bad. The high pressure bringing up all that cold air is moving a bit faster that I anticipated. Wind looks like swinging back more to the east. Completely calm nights could still bring a chill though, it's still only June.

Overnight it got down to 16.9C (62.4F), thanks to the wind. But humidity was only up to 74%, also thanks to the wind. Maximum today got up to 31.7C (89.1F) with humidity down to 36%.

Playing Chopin Peachy? No wonder your palms are doing well.

Wintery blast ? :lol: I'm curious Zig, have you always lived in NT ? Unless of course you live near the centre which does get bloody cold.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Well our winter so far has been a bit of a placid beast, but in the next few days it's going to show some sharp teeth.

Forecast for Tuesday

Partly cloudy with a shower or two developing towards evening. Light N'ly winds

shifting moderate to fresh NW during the afternoon.

Precis: Late shower or two.

City: Max 21

Mandurah: Max 20

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Forecast for Wednesday

Showers. Light to moderate N/NW winds shifting fresh to strong S/SW during the

morning.

Precis: Showers.

City: Min 11 Max 17

Mandurah: Min 13 Max 16

Thursday A shower before sunrise. Min 4 Max 15

Friday Cold morning. Sunny day. Min 2 Max 16

Saturday Cold morning. Mostly sunny. Min 2 Max 17

Sunday A shower or two developing. Min 5 Max 17

Monday Sunny. Min 6 Max 17

Best regards

Tyrone

Min 2??? Ouch.... I hope it doesn't persist...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still windy, south east to east south east. This morning's low was 20.6C (F). The humidity only got up to 75%. Maximum temperature was 32.4C (F), with a low humidity of 25%. There was a little hazy cloud around, a change from the very bright blues we've had for quite a while. Predicted UV index was 8. That'll be on its way up soon now that we've crossed the line of the shortest day.

Wal. it's all relative, the extremes of wherever you live are ...... well ..... extreme. I'm originally a "Victorian Refugee" but managed to make it into the NT a long time ago. Took a while, but eventually I thawed out.

Tyrone, can see a huge mass of cold air moving your way. Hope it slips off to the south of you.

Tyrone, can see a huge mass of cold air moving your way. Hope it slips off to the south of you.

It will get us. It's around 18C at 9pm now. It's that warm up before the cold front phenomenon. We had the heater on inside but it got boiling in here so we had to turn it off. Once the front crosses us the winds will swing SW and the cold pool will get us. Then the high pressure will sit over us and the wind will drop out and the cold pool will get colder than before at night. 2C is kind of standard this time of year. From now until the end of July is traditionally the coldest for us. We'll have 5 weeks of the worst, then we'll gradually warm up until Feb 2011. I don't expect my garden to drop below 4 or 5C though. In the cool radiational events, canopy and dense planting works wonders.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's 9 here tonight but quite humid so I dont need the heating on. My trackies and uggies are quite adequate for a change. I may have to start bailing soon. We had a whole 1mm of rain. All the palms are still growing, they haven't realised it's winter. Tyrone, you are getting my winter night temps. It's okay though, you may keep them. I will hold on to my daytime temperatures though. Anything below 22 and I cant function....brain freeze I think.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I think that's the difference between SE QLD and my area. We may get similar absolute lows, but the average lows and average max's are lower in my neck of the woods, purely because of latitude. I never get frost here though, which is one big blessing. So I can grow most things that can't take frost but can take some extended cool weather. So that rules out Pigafetta's, Verschafeltia's, Deckenia, and almost all Hydriastele (maybe all) and Cyrtostachys, as well as a mob of others. High altitude tropicals is what I'm going for now. :D

Also, on a brighter note, we've passed the winter solstice and today was a longer day than yesterday. What did everyone do with their extra 1/2 second of daylight? Used it wisely I hope. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

A min of 14C lastnight and 20mm of rain. Now the sun is coming out. The coconut would have grown with this weather. BUT, the wind will swing south and get cold, then the cloud will clear, the wind will drop, night will fall, and everything will grind to a halt I reckon.

Best regards

Tyrone

We are getting a load of southerly crap at present. Snow down south. But the shortest day has passed and it's all down hill from here! :D

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Very cold today. Southerly winds. We hit 17C at 10am then it fell like a stone to 13C for most of the day. Yuck, really crud weather at the moment. 3C tonight then a cold 15C tomorrow. It really doesn't get much worse than that here. Still, we didn't have howling winds that broke things, and we didn't get any hail, so all is well actually.

Best regards

Tyrone

The wind's swinging mainly east south east to east, but there's still some of the south easterly around. So, the minimum was 20.1C (68.2F) this morning and humidity peaking at 67% overnight. Today's maximum was 33.4C (92.1F) with a low humidity of 37%.

That australian wintertemperatures are unbelievblem that's spring weather for me normally. This week the early summer weather is going further nicely.

About 28C today after a 13C minium and still 25C at the moment. The forecast for the next few days 25-28C for the days and 12-15C for the nights. Possible a nice 30C, on sunday and monday... we will see :)

The only thing is that it's getting really dry here now, way below our average rainfall so far this year. Only got 15 mm so far this month en there is nothing coming anymore. That would be the fourth month in a row drier then average and the fifth month of this year.

Southwest

I woke up this morning to a min of 2.4C or a shade over 36F with 98% humidity. That's the coldest in about 2 years. The coconut didn't read below 6C (43F) though. Blue skies from horizon to horizon this morning. Not a cloud to be seen and the sun is warming the ground nicely, although the air is taking a while to catch up. All the palms have water dripping off the leaves from condensation. Tomorrow morning and the next morning are going to be a bit of a worry as the high passes directly overhead. We may see a few temps in the 1C bracket in my area. This is where microclimates are just so important. I find the colder it gets the more difference they seem to make.

I'm just playing some Bob Marley to make me feel warmer and more summery. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Aaaaaggghhhhhh!!!!!!!! :o:unsure::(

Forecast for Friday

A cold morning followed by a cool and sunny day. Light E/NE winds.

Precis: Sunny. Cold morning.

City: Min 1 Max 16

Mandurah: Min 5 Max 15

Saturday Sunny. Cold morning. Min 2 Max 17

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 3 Max 17

Monday Mostly sunny. Min 4 Max 17

Tuesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 18

Wednesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 18

Cold and overcast again today and a chilly 20 with a cold wind. I finished watering all my poor thirsty potted palms today and my poor hands turned blue from cold. Still while the skies stay cloudy the nights dont get down as low as they normally do. 7 more weeks till the danger of frost is over and I can relax again. This is not my favourite time of year I never know if I should water thirsty things and watch them turn black if it frosts and leave them dry, safe from frosts but on the verge of collapsing from dehydration. Filled Tojo's Revenge with mulch this morning. Double the price it was 2 weeks ago !! On the way home going by one of the posh horse studs, I grabbed a few bags of horsies poo for $1 per bag. My palms may be cold but at least they eat well.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Don't complain about 20C Peachy. It peaked at 15.1C today at 2.20pm even though it was blue skies and still. When they forecast 1C as a min, then you sort of worry. When they forecast 3C and you get 1 or 2C I can handle that. But when they actually forecast 1C, it is likely to go below that. The weird thing is the airport is meant to be 3C even though it's inland. So I think the thought is the Perth area will be dead still, but the airport will have a slight breeze but a bone chilling breeze. I'm so glad I've got a microclimate that works. I estimate the official reading would have to be minus 3 before I'd see ice in the garden. That's well below the 110 year record here.

Best regards

Tyrone

Now Peachy, don't you regret having left Gove? No blue hands there.

Would have been a pleasant winter's day, if it hadn't been for the wind and fairly low humidity. When I got home today some of my potted plants that had been set on less frequent irrigation were showing real signs of stress with some leaf loss. Some readjustments to the irrigation system are in order.

The minimum at my place this morning was 22.8C (73.0F) with maximum humidity up to 68%. (Noonamah AWS recorded minimum of 19.5C, 67.1F, but a high humidity of 79%)

Maximum got up to 33.8C (92.8F) and low humidity was 43%.

Temperatures for staring mid winter in the face are okay, but not so dry would be better. Unfortunately, July can still get quite cold as well as dry.

No rain forecast for 10 days which is unheard of for this time of year. The cold is concerning. It's 8.23pm and it's 7C outside, 5.9C at the airport. That's really cold way too early for here. We'll see what happened in the morning. :(

Yikes Tyrone, that is cold! Looks like the Airport has dropped 0.7C in the last 25 minutes to 5.2C ...if that rate of temp drop keeps up it will be very cold there tonight! Of course, I'm sure it will level out a bit, but brrrr!!!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Keep warm Tyrone... and hope for the best...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yikes Tyrone, that is cold! Looks like the Airport has dropped 0.7C in the last 25 minutes to 5.2C ...if that rate of temp drop keeps up it will be very cold there tonight! Of course, I'm sure it will level out a bit, but brrrr!!!

Daryl

Tell me about it. I'm not used to these dry, cold winters. I'm not looking too closely at how fast these temps are dropping. I just hope the wind picks up. No cloud is around to save us either.

Best regards

Tyrone

Keep warm Tyrone... and hope for the best...

24C inside Ari. I like it tropical. Plus it helps my aquarium of courage stay warm at night when the heat lamps go off. Thankyou Alintagas.

Best regards

Tyrone