IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

34, Zig? Really?? I was out repotting yesterday and didn't check my weather gauge at all. You should see what my weather station said now... tendency to rain... lol.

Today is definitely more humid than yesterday, as I actually managed to sweat while weeding the shadehouse... It is amazing that things have grown in there and I can actually see it after clearing the weeds all around it :D . I wish I could do it more often...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Today only got to 32.8C (91.0F), low humidity was 40%. Let's see if the wind drops again tonight what we get by morning.

Ari, you obviously need more practice at weeding. Come to my place and you can get enough weeding practice there to become a world renown expert. laugh.gif

Some moderate to heavy rain is expected over inland NSW as tropical moisture from the Kimberley intercepts a cold front on its way from the bight. Blizzards are expected in the higher parts of the Snowies.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Some moderate to heavy rain is expected over inland NSW as tropical moisture from the Kimberley intercepts a cold front on its way from the bight. Blizzards are expected in the higher parts of the Snowies.

Could be some big weather in that sort of situation.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Snow and freezing temperatures are forecast for southern Brazil with the cold front arriving today.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Snow and freezing temperatures are forecast for southern Brazil with the cold front arriving today.

dk

How far north do they predict that will reach?

I'm over winter now. Had enough. :(

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Overnight minimum temperature 18.3C (64.9F), humidity peaked at 99%. Looks like we might be in for a bit of respite from lowering temperatures. Although we're still about 2 days from the calendar mid point of winter. Still, we'll see if there's a creep up before the next high pressure directs a blast of cold air at us.

A sign of change is our UV index prediction which had bottomed out at 8 is now predicted to get to 9 today. A sign that a bit more power is coming back into the sun.

Looks like it's going to be a good weekend for skiing in the Snowies, if the wind dies down. It's the only reason I'd put up with cold - skiing.

DK, what latitude and altitude are you talking about for that "Snow and freezing temperatures"?

Zig,

The very southern tip of Brazil in Rio Grande do Sul state, and possibly in areas of Santa Catarina and Parana states in the mountains. The latitude is roughly 30 degrees south. The map shows the forecast lows for today. Brazil is real split this time of year between southern winter and equatorial summer. This is going into the hottest time of year here.

weatherJul13010.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Zig, Brazil is bigger than Australia, but more of it is habitable. (sort of) In many ways its like here. While you are suntanning at Fanny Bay, others are skiing at Thredbo or Falls Creek. Or those like me approximately halfway, are sitting in misery waiting for this rotten winter to finish. DK lives in the Darwin end of Brazil. BTW, it was 23 today after a nippy night of 6, with fog.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Going for 20C on Thursday. That's the only thing I can look forward too in winter. A 20C or more day. Going back to cold mins on the weekend and next week. One of my bottle palms must have got some condensation close to freezing on it, as it's two oldest most exposed fronds have brown patches all over them like it's been rasped by a heap of thrip. My Heliconia psittacorums have yellowed as well as my Heliconia golden torches. I'm sure they're not called golden torch for their gold leaf colour. Interestingly for all this record cold, my Heliconia rostrata's are still deep green just ripped from the high winds. My coconut has not moved in two days. It's not yellowing though which is good.

Zig I noticed the UV index starting to swing back down. Yippee. Brisbane has moved to a UV index of 4. We're still on 2. Basically the weather can only get better from this point in time.

Best regards

Tyrone

After 4 nights close to the 20C and 4 days above the 30C, don't reached the 30C here yesterday with 28.9C as maximum temperature. Also last night was quite cooler then the nights before with 15.4C as minimum temperature. 22.1C at the moment should be a cooler day today.

Yesterday we where in an active area again with the first thunderstorms started in the early morning, afternoon sunny and dry and in the beginning of the evening a small but have thunderstorms line again. I got only 7 mm yesterday but this time the east and northeast got the strongest weather with the most rain, between the 20-60 mm again on large scale over there. The wind was also strong again over there with result that people where wounded, trees blowing down, lots of damage over there.

The rain was needed about 250 mm, so the rainfall was quite good for the gardens and nature. However the last few years the rain is always falling with heavy weather, tomorrow it looks like we going to the 30C again with again in the late afternoon warnings for heavy weather (Windspeeds till 100 km per hour, thunderstorms, hail, massive rainfall).

Here are some pictures again from yesterday from the dutch weather forum, the damage is from the east and northeast.

10720101220230.jpg

14720101224410.jpg

1472010124471.jpg

1572010126511.jpg

Southwest

Tyrone, bottle palms are very common around here and many of them get ratty and tatty looking in a really cold spell. A bad frost will singe them a bit but they come back pretty quickly. My biggest one at the moment is looking rather secondhand, as its not getting enough sun, but not much I can do about it. With the rotten cold spell you have had there lately, no wonder yours isnt looking too crash hot. Don't worry about it though, it will come back as soon as the weather improves.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Down to 2.7 this morning. A new low. Some parts of NZ have had -8. Brrrr.

Some exellent storm pics above.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Robbin,

That was some nasty storm damage. They had some down south in Brazil yesterday as the cold front started to push through.

Peachy,

You are very right about the differences in climate. Although there never accumlates enough snow in Brazil to ski on. The cold regions are popular as people love to put on sweaters and coats and drink hot liquids while enjoying the cold. That is not really my favorite past time though. In the areas of the south where the temperatures frequently get in the single digit temperatures it can get real uncomfortable as most houses do not have any heating. And, since the normal construction is with brick walls and cermaic floors the cold gets held inside the house.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Not much to report from durbs. Standard winter temps. Could do with some rain though.

Pity the Boks froze (in more ways than one) in Eden Park. Today was a nice sunny 28c, tomorrow a cloudy 239.

Cheers all. Hope it warms up deep down under for the next game in NZ!

28c, that's amazing for winter given your latitude. Do you normally have these temps at this time of year?

Tyrone and Peachy, isn't Durban about the same latitude? Look at the difference in temps. A microclimate?

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Man that's some bad weather Robbin.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, bottle palms are very common around here and many of them get ratty and tatty looking in a really cold spell. A bad frost will singe them a bit but they come back pretty quickly. My biggest one at the moment is looking rather secondhand, as its not getting enough sun, but not much I can do about it. With the rotten cold spell you have had there lately, no wonder yours isnt looking too crash hot. Don't worry about it though, it will come back as soon as the weather improves.

Peachy

They are not too uncommon here, but not as common as in QLD or NSW. I have two other bottles right next to this one and they are perfect. There's one down the road right on the kerb with no canopy at all and it looks perfect too. I think plant genetics play a huge part with cold hardiness with this species. The one right next to it when it was a bubba got completely defoliated many years ago when hail blew under my patio and covered the thing when it was still in a pot. Within 30 minutes it was black. The coconut right next to it barely marked. The coconut died, the bottle rebounded from death and now is my strongest bottle and doesn't spot up in winter at all. Funny things those bottles.

Best regards

Tyrone

Not much to report from durbs. Standard winter temps. Could do with some rain though.

Pity the Boks froze (in more ways than one) in Eden Park. Today was a nice sunny 28c, tomorrow a cloudy 239.

28c, that's amazing for winter given your latitude. Do you normally have these temps at this time of year?

Tyrone and Peachy, isn't Durban about the same latitude? Look at the difference in temps. A microclimate?

Mike, Durban is 28S with a beautiful warm Mozambique current running down the coast. Peachy is inland of Brisbane at about 27.5S, and I'm totally disadvantaged at 32S in Perth. :( On the west coast of Oz, Durban is similar in latitude to Kalbarri, a small fishing town with coconuts in the main street.

Best regards

Tyrone

Move up, Tyrone.....

I still like those bottle palms, even though they are what you called 'common'. If only, they grow a bit faster...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, they grow pretty well once established.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Move up, Tyrone.....

I still like those bottle palms, even though they are what you called 'common'. If only, they grow a bit faster...

Ari, if I ever moved from this house, it would be to FNQ or Darwin, and believe me, after just being outside for a few minutes in temps around 6C and my hands feel frozen, the pull of the tropics has never been stronger. Perth would be great if we just had Brisbane's winter. It's just a tad too wet and a couple of degrees too cold for just a few weeks too long. It's frustrating.

Also, who would want a tropical landscaper in the tropics. It's like selling ice to Eskimos. Don't people just want to grow roses in Darwin. Always wanting what they can't have. :D

On the bright side it's going to be sunny and 18C today. Not too bad. At least cocie can warm up a bit. Maybe thaw out a bit and grow a couple of mm. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Current Conditions

Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

6° 3:08 AM CLEAR

RealFeel® 4°

Winds N 10 kph

Relative Humidity 80%

Dew Point 3°

Barometric Pressure 102.1

Pressure Tendency Rising

Visibility 16

Sunrise 7/14/2010 8:19:29 AM

Sunset 7/14/2010 6:42:02 PM

The current conditions in Porto Alegre, the southern most city in Brazil.

And some pictures from the streets there yesterday. It sure does not look too tropical. And, I am glad I am here not there.

Jul13coldRS.jpg

FrioPOA13Jul-1.jpg

FrioPOA13Jul2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

OOOH aaah....looks like here. 22 today but the wind nearly blew people over. 4 predicted for tonight. Cold nights, strong winds, fine days....is spring on the way ?? It's usually the time of year I lose a lot of plants due to the cold dessicating wind, before things really warm up and go back to normal. After more than a week of dark overcast skies, the rainfall here was only a couple of millimetres. Until late summer this year, the drought had us in its grip for 6 years. Hopefully this summer will be wetter and better and perhaps some of my palms that should be 5 times the size they are might finally have a growth spurt. At least the watering bans are lifted now so I can put the sprinklers on without risking a fine or a visit (okay yet another visit) from the water police.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Current Conditions

Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

6° 3:08 AM CLEAR

RealFeel® 4°

Winds N 10 kph

Relative Humidity 80%

Dew Point 3°

Barometric Pressure 102.1

Pressure Tendency Rising

Visibility 16

Sunrise 7/14/2010 8:19:29 AM

Sunset 7/14/2010 6:42:02 PM

The current conditions in Porto Alegre, the southern most city in Brazil.

And some pictures from the streets there yesterday. It sure does not look too tropical. And, I am glad I am here not there.

Jul13coldRS.jpg

FrioPOA13Jul-1.jpg

FrioPOA13Jul2.jpg

Looks like Perth. Well not really. Some are still walking around in shorts. Crazy weirdos. :D

Cocie grew 2mm overnight so I'm stoked that he's not derailed yet. :D

Peachy it's very calm here now. I'm glad it's not cold and blowy anymore.

Best regards

Tyrone

Bad weather indeed, and those pictures from Brazil does defitnely not look tropical weather :mrlooney:

This afternoon again bad weather. Reached to 27.5C yesterday and not cooler then 18.4C last night. Today possible 30C again to 33C in the east, however all is depending when the bad weather arrived.

Here we go again, a level 3 area above us head, the second time in only 3 days.

Storm Forecast

Valid: Wed 14 Jul 2010 06:00 to Thu 15 Jul 2010 06:00 UTC

Issued: Tue 13 Jul 2010 22:54

Forecaster: PUCIK

A level 3 was issued for Benelux, small area of Northern France and extreme Northwestern Germany mainly for severe wind gusts, tornadoes, excessive precipitation and large hail.

17201014330.png

The first things are visiable in France already for us, so gonna enjoy the weather first have some garden work to do! :) But wind is getting stronger already, our national weather service give even a bit higher wind gust till 120 km per hour this afternoon. If that's going to happen then it would be over for a lot of trees again with loaded with leafes...

Southwest

Mike, Durban is 28S with a beautiful warm Mozambique current running down the coast. Peachy is inland of Brisbane at about 27.5S, and I'm totally disadvantaged at 32S in Perth. :( On the west coast of Oz, Durban is similar in latitude to Kalbarri, a small fishing town with coconuts in the main street.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still, that's pretty impressive. Even the warmest parts of Brisbane wouldn't have those temps at this time of year?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Ari, if I ever moved from this house, it would be to FNQ or Darwin, and believe me, after just being outside for a few minutes in temps around 6C and my hands feel frozen, the pull of the tropics has never been stronger. Perth would be great if we just had Brisbane's winter. It's just a tad too wet and a couple of degrees too cold for just a few weeks too long. It's frustrating.

Also, who would want a tropical landscaper in the tropics. It's like selling ice to Eskimos. Don't people just want to grow roses in Darwin. Always wanting what they can't have. :D

On the bright side it's going to be sunny and 18C today. Not too bad. At least cocie can warm up a bit. Maybe thaw out a bit and grow a couple of mm. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

You would be surprised, Tyrone... .we don't have that many 'good' landscaper here in Darwin. And there is money there, definitely. There are a seller from Kuranda, QLD at the orchid show every year who sells nepenthes, orchids & broms... they come every year, because they always make good sale. When things are quiet in Cairns, the nursery are still doing well here. When something different is up for sale, Darwin people would buy... unfortunately not many nursery are selling different things.

Darwin is still an untouched territory... unlike Cairns, we don't have tons of landscape architects waiting to design your garden...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Best regards

Tyrone

You would be surprised, Tyrone... .we don't have that many 'good' landscaper here in Darwin. And there is money there, definitely. There are a seller from Kuranda, QLD at the orchid show every year who sells nepenthes, orchids & broms... they come every year, because they always make good sale. When things are quiet in Cairns, the nursery are still doing well here. When something different is up for sale, Darwin people would buy... unfortunately not many nursery are selling different things.

Darwin is still an untouched territory... unlike Cairns, we don't have tons of landscape architects waiting to design your garden...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Something to think about. I think if I moved up there, one of the first things I'd do is buy 5000 Cyrtostachys seeds and go nuts growing them. Every truly tropical garden needs at least 15 clumps of them. :D My wife is a legal secretary in a family law firm. Is there much call for that up there?

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi,

Finally it was nothing here, don't even hear a thunder only some rain, the most active part chosen to go for the southeast and east. The first pictures are coming in on the dutch weather forum from the southeast with lots of damage and also the first reports are 2 deads. On a camping near Doetichem caravans are blowing away into the water with people inside. The city Nijmegen don't have power anymore because there are some powerlines blowing down. Just over the border in Germany there are also some reports from possible a small tornado/turning wind gust that have done much damage and possible deads.

Before the thunderstorm complex was coming in temperature reached to 29.1C in the garden. After the rain it was back to 20C and it's still a bit below the 20C at the moment. Looks like the next few days the weather will calm down with maximum temperatures between the 23-25C and possible warmer again after a few cooler days.

Some pictures that are coming in from other people from the east on the dutch weather forum.

207201014598.jpg

6216030430977.jpg

21720101445230.jpg

21720101445233.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

Hmmm first picture is coming in from the caravans, they don't know if it will stay with 2 deads.

2172010143922.jpg

And it looks like it's not over yet a new front with active thunderstorm are born in northern france at the moment and it looks like it's going to form a line. The most active part for the east again at the moment but that can change in only a few minutes...

Southwest

Some wild weather getting flung around up there...

Down here it is freezing cold and dead still for the last 5 days. 4 frosts this week with frost on the ground as I type (8am) Its almost up to 1°C.

The double digit lows have not arrived, but it should warm up to 8's and 9's for the next week before the next frost hits.

Bloody cold highs in NZ at the moment too. Beautiful days, but freezing if you are not in the sun. Auckland got to 13°C yesterday, and today the country's high is 15°C. At night I crank the fire up to 32°C and imagine its October in Brisbane.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Best regards

Tyrone

Still, that's pretty impressive. Even the warmest parts of Brisbane wouldn't have those temps at this time of year?

Hi guys

Ty-I believe Durbs is at 29.53 south, potato/potatoe

Mike we normally see those sort of temps 2-3 days before a front comes through. The warmest just before the front arrives. I believe it is due to cut-off low pressure cells that move up the coast.

This causes the wind to blow NE swinging to NW and forces warm dry air to the coast from the interior (locally call Berg (mountain) winds.

We have that pattern at the moment: on saturday it got to 27, sunday the front arrived and it was a windy 23c. Monday and yesterday it was pretty chilly. Today was 27 and tomorrow 28 with a front coming by evening. Friday is going to be a bit nippy but the weekend is looking good.

Hope that explains in for you.

See weathersa.co.za and you will see what I mean.

Can't wait for spring.....

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Wild weather indeed.. Here is a timelapse from the City Nijmegen, looks very good! :) And trees snapped off like it was nothing...

2272010142871.gif

2272010142872.gif

There is also a little whirlwind, mini tornado, just like you want to call seen in the north during the pass from the thunderstorms over there. Don't know if it really thought the ground and if there is damage to so far.

6516030426711.jpg

Youtube vid about it...

Southwest

Hmmm first picture is coming in from the caravans, they don't know if it will stay with 2 deads.

2172010143922.jpg

And it looks like it's not over yet a new front with active thunderstorm are born in northern france at the moment and it looks like it's going to form a line. The most active part for the east again at the moment but that can change in only a few minutes...

That's horrible Robbin.

Best regards

Tyrone

Dennis, my mistake. I had you placed further north than that. Then you are very warm for that latitude, at least compared to Australia. On the west coast you are at the same latitude as a town called Dongara just south of Geraldton about 3 and a bit hrs north of me by road. One coconut there growing in a garden just across from the beach, but Dongara would be colder than Durban. It would average around 20C max in winter, but in winter it's mostly sunny up there with about 1/3 the rainfall of my place.

Are you south or north of the Jubaeopsis population in the wild?

Best regards

Tyrone

We're at the middle of July now, the mid point of winter, although the days have been getting longer for the past 3 weeks.

Temperatures took a big dip the other day, yesterday's minimum dropped to 17.2C (63.0F) and it was followed by a real windy day. Maximum reached 34.4C (93.9F). Last night was, however, a bit more gentle with us and it only dropped to 20.7C (69.3F). But humidity peaked at only 72%, yesterday's lowest was 35%. The frightening thing is that yesterday's low was only slightly below average. With a couple of weeks of July to go anything could happen. And we're not necessarily out of the woods during the first half of August.

Robbin, that's some really destructive weather happening there now. We're lucky here, for us now it's a long calm period.

Tyrone, funny you should mention Cyrtostachis renda, yesterday I bought 2 pots of them. Couldn't help myself. The plants are 1.12 metres high (not counting height of pots) and only cost $20. Moving up here you'll still find plenty to complain about with weather/climate etc. Humans are hard to please. You wouldn't want to keep one as a pet. laugh.gif

Dug up the climate averages for Durban and Brisbane because it difficult to get an accurate picture by comparing isolated day to day figures. There's not much difference really. The Brisbane data is to one decimal place but couldn't find Durban data the same. So the Durban figures could be up to 0.5 either side of the number shown.

post-4226-12791487831397_thumb.jpg

I am usually the same maximums as central brisbane or a couple of degrees higher. Going for 23 today, so its still about average for mid winter. The giant birds of paradise are all covered in flowers and the beehive gingers all have blooms about to open. Those storms in the netherlands look more like our tropical summer storms than something in europe. I hope the dykes dont get damaged. One could probably compare the temperatures in Louis Trichardt to my temperatures in brisbane's western suburbs.

Peachy

27.35 south.