IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Enjoy the warmth in Washington. Hopefully you don't get any extreme counteracting weather to bring the averages back into line though.

It rained all night and most of yesterday afternoon. We had a min of 9.1C which is such a relief and not far off 40mm of rain. Much more is forecast from this system and we're going for a cool max of 15C :( and more rain and thunderstorms and small hail if we're unlucky. BUT, the cold min spell has ended and if this system can pump up moisture levels enough may have ended for a while.

Ari, I think I could get used to the heat and humidity in Darwin. It's constant. Not like here where it's one big roller coaster ride through the seasons. Where you really notice it is in mid spring when you can go from one week of coolish weather around 20C then up to the mid thirties for a spell then down to the mid twenties for a bit. Just the contrast makes you feel everything.

I got that Macrozamia planted yesterday in the rain. It would have loved the drink.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1278628429842_thumb.jpg

post-63-12786284449669_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow, what I could do with a Hiab!

Overnight minimum was 20.0C (F) (borderline!), high humidity 97%.

Forecast for Friday

Mostly sunny. Moderate east to southeast winds before an afternoon seabreeze.

Precis: Sunny.

Darwin: Max 32

Rural: Max 33

UV Alert 9:50 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Saturday Sunny. Min 22 Max 32

Sunday Sunny Min 22 Max 32

Monday Sunny. Min 21 Max 32

For the first time in weeks I didnt need the heating on last night. Not sure what the minimum was. Still very cloudy and though its just over 20, the wind makes it feel colder today. None of the promised rain yet apart from a few drops on the car this morning. Tyrone what is the contraption on the back of the truck ? It looks handy and I probably need one. I would love to take that truck palm shopping, it would hold many more than poor Tojo's Revenge can. Can you bareroot one of those cycads and post it to me ?

Peachy.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Enjoy the warmth in Washington. Hopefully you don't get any extreme counteracting weather to bring the averages back into line though.

Thanks! I think this extraordinarily HOT summer were having is the counter action to the brutal winter we had! We had 75" (inches) of snow this winter here, making it the snowiest on record. While it never got brutally COLD, it did at times get to high temps in the teens / low twenties (F) and went down to single digits at night some, but it was not really a brutal winter in terms of cold, just the amount of SNOW. At one point we had over 4 FEET of snow on the ground. YUK! Our average annual snowfall is about 15", but its VERY common for us to see only a couple of inches in a single winter, so even that 15" does not happen all that often in one season.

Ill take the baking summer heat and steamy humidity any day over living in a freezer any day! :winkie:

Oh, and we set another record HIGH, low overnight temp of 84F last night. Tonight its finally backing off some. Its actually supposed to dip down into the upper 70's for lows. Its currently 81F, at 1AM.

For the first time in weeks I didnt need the heating on last night. Not sure what the minimum was. Still very cloudy and though its just over 20, the wind makes it feel colder today. None of the promised rain yet apart from a few drops on the car this morning. Tyrone what is the contraption on the back of the truck ? It looks handy and I probably need one. I would love to take that truck palm shopping, it would hold many more than poor Tojo's Revenge can. Can you bareroot one of those cycads and post it to me ?

Peachy.

That's a HIAB. Basically a fold away hydraulic lifting machine that are very handy for these large plants. That one stretches out about 6m and can probably a lift a tonne. That's not my truck either, it's from the place I bought the cycad from. They take away these cycads and grass trees from new developments and then people like me plant them out again. That specimen is estimated to be about 150-200 yrs old.

I just got back from a nursery north of Perth and bought a few hundred native plants (mostly Kangaroo Paws, Lomandras, Calistemons, Melaleuca's) for that same garden the Macrozamia went in to. It pelted all the way there and all the way back with small hail. We tried waiting for the rain to stop to unload, but it had set in, so we unloaded in the rain. It's 9C at the moment and freezing. We maxed at 13.3C and I think that's as far as it will go today. If it snowed today I could then say this winter has had everything. The Swan River further inland from Perth water has burst it's banks, partly due to the tidal surge and due to the runoff. All the wetllands are totally inundated, which is good for the local ecology. We need this rain badly. We've had around 50mm in 24hrs.

Right now I'm inside with a warm cup of coffee listening to the rain outside with the heater on and warming up some Mrs Macs pies for lunch in the oven.

It's a bit like fishing. Some people say fishing is so relaxing. But in reality you're stuck out in the freezing cold rain, with freezing numb hands, baiting a hook with some smelly bit of fish, and you end catching nothing. The relaxing bit is going home and having a cup of tea near the fire. It's one of those days today.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

See Tyrone, it didnt matter what it was, I knew I needed one. Had some palms delivered the other weekend and they are still sitting where they were put down as I cant even drag them. Lomandras, callistemons,kangaroo paws and melacleuca....well no wonder mother nature sent down hail and cold rain. She was trying to kill you for planting such ugly horrors.....specially that ghastly lomandra ugh ugh and ugh again. As it was so overcast and supposed to stay that way, I watered like a maniac all afternoon, came in for a rest and suddenly there are blue skies !! Oh no ! Not supposed to get really cold tonight so I have to hope for the best but keep the sleeping pills handy in case of frost induced insomnia.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well Tyrone, you got your wish... the cold has arrived in NZ. I've just been covering up the palms for a certain frost.

Predicted 2°C (about -1°C in the open at my place) and the next day is predicted at 1°C, then another 2°C. And I thought I was going to get away without a harsh frost this year.

Temp has dropped from 10.5° at 16:30, to 8.7° at 17:30, to 6.9° at 18:30... AAARGHHH!!! :(

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Apparently it will be 2 degree in Auckland tonight??? I hope it doesn't stay 2 for long...

Tyrone,

You are fishing at the wrong spot!! Scott went on a charter last weekend. Apparently it is not a good time for barra yet but he came home with 2 decent size barras & no numb hand & no rain & not boring either. He actually caught about 7 fish, but only 3 were legal size, but since you are only allowed 2 per person, he had to let the third one go...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well Tyrone, you got your wish... the cold has arrived in NZ. I've just been covering up the palms for a certain frost.

Predicted 2°C (about -1°C in the open at my place) and the next day is predicted at 1°C, then another 2°C. And I thought I was going to get away without a harsh frost this year.

Temp has dropped from 10.5° at 16:30, to 8.7° at 17:30, to 6.9° at 18:30... AAARGHHH!!! :(

Yep, intense high pressure has arrived in NZ. Alexandra has -7 on the way tonight. Down to 0 in Nelson which means a 3 or 4 for me. But the flipside is a nice sunny day tomorrow. :)

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Zig the few times I have been up north I have nearly died. I am fine until it hits 30, then I need airconditioning or I fall apart. On the other hand, I had to move to Qld to find out what real cold was. My first winter on the Darling Downs nearly killed me. I had chapped lips, chillblains and a red nose for the entire winter. It may have been colder when I lived in NYC, but I was never outside for more than a few seconds as I ran from shop to shop, so I didnt really notice. Robbin I bet if you lived in the Northern Territory you would soon be very tired of the heat and humidity too.

Peachy

Peachy,

I come from a cold climate where the temperatures can hit minus 40 C in the winter. And, this at times with a wind blowing at 50 kms or so per hour. I really never get tired of our climate here. By the time the rainy season ends I get a bit tired of so much rain. And, by the time the dry season ends I get tired of so much sun shine. The humidity range here is from 50 to 100 percent all year. And, there is not much wind. Just a breeze. There is no trade wind effect here like a place such as Hawaii. It is nice just not to have to worry about temperatures, it is always the same. Life has enough other complications to worry about.

dk

In some ways, I don't mind the changes in season because many plants that are easy grows in the tropics are a real challange here and it makes gardening that bit more interesting. I'm always thinking of ways to get tropical plants through winter. It's rather satisfying when I do.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

18.6C minimum last night, and about 33C/91.4F at the moment with a full afternoon to go. Should my record from 37.2 July 2006 will stay? Not very humid, close to the 30% at the moment. Till next monday we will stay in the low 30C for sure and warm nights. Then some ensembles say a biit cooling to 25C but there also a lot of warm possibilities left. If this going trough like summer has started then could this summer be very good for us standards maybe. It's quite unstable this weekend and the possibilities are there for some heavy thunderstorms this weekend.

@ Tropicalbreeze and Peachy. Well don't know how I will feel myself with every day 30C indeed with high humidity. Normally when we have 30C days the humidity is also high and I like it. Longer periods with 30C do we have here most of the time when there is a bit of drought and then the humidity has also been very low. In the summer 2005, I have doing work in southeast of France as a gardener, making new ones but also cleaning gardens with temperatures every day between the 35-40C. After 2 months still happy and don't liked it going back to home again, but also there the humidty is very low during summer. Maybe I have to go 2 months to a climate like Seebreeze to feel what it is long period of days with 30C and high humidity and make my conclusions then :)

I do find Australia very interesting with those many different climates, the one has nearly freezing temperatures and the other one is sweating out of his house... :blink:

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Well I didn't really wish that on you. That sort of weather I wouldn't wish on anyone. But if the high pressures cleared away from Australia there's only one place they'll go. Over to NZ. The lows are all over the west coast now, but they'll be followed by another high, which actually could be worse than the high before the rain. Before was cold and dry, cold and wet is much worse.

I hope you fair OK over there in NZ.

Best regards

Tyrone

See Tyrone, it didnt matter what it was, I knew I needed one. Had some palms delivered the other weekend and they are still sitting where they were put down as I cant even drag them. Lomandras, callistemons,kangaroo paws and melacleuca....well no wonder mother nature sent down hail and cold rain. She was trying to kill you for planting such ugly horrors.....specially that ghastly lomandra ugh ugh and ugh again. As it was so overcast and supposed to stay that way, I watered like a maniac all afternoon, came in for a rest and suddenly there are blue skies !! Oh no ! Not supposed to get really cold tonight so I have to hope for the best but keep the sleeping pills handy in case of frost induced insomnia.

Peachy

Gotta do what the client wants Peachy. That's one way to stay in business. I've got another big palmy job coming up soon. Should be interesting and may be able to fit in another 200 yr old cycad too.

Todays max of 13.3C was our coldest July day in 7 years. It felt it too. The bad weather has moved east and we may see a bit of sunshine tomorrow between showers in the westerly flow.

Best regards

Tyrone

Bloody freezing here this morning. Digital themometer on the deck has blanked out due to the cold, it should come back when it warms up later. I reckon maybe -2°C. First real frost of the year here, and quite a bad one. I have noticed however that more plants have been protected from overhead cover as the older palms start to form a canopy in places. Its 9am and everything still covered in ice and frost. One themometer in the shade is reading 1.4°C.

It will be a nice day Mike, but it is warmer when it is overcast, and there is no frost then either. Give me clouds in winter anyday. Todays high is only 12! Thats pretty damn low for Auckland.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Correction: The high has been revised down to 11°C... Yippie

Low for tomorrow and following day have also dropped a degree to 0°C and 1°C. Looks like it may be a bad one for the palms after all.

I'm so sorry mate. I shouldn't have joked about that high. When it actually becomes a reality there's nothing to laugh about. That sounds like the same lousy high that we got for so long. Only we had a bit more latitude to save us during the day. 11C as a max. Yuck. Let's hope you get a low to clear it away and it doesn't hang around like a bad smell like it did here. 2 weeks we had that thing hanging around for. Worst winter on record so far over here.

I hope you fair well and you warm up soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hhmm, your high is lower than my low... this is not good.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don't want to think about freezing at the moment, brrr.

Reached 35.3C/95.6F yesterday and not cooler then 19.8C/67.6F last night. A small part in the southeast reached to 36C or higher but the most of the country where between the 33 and 35C.

tx20100709.small.png

It's 25C at the moment and partly cloudy, possibilities are there to get some heavy thunderstorms this afternoon and tomorrow.

Southwest

Correction: The high has been revised down to 11°C... Yippie

Low for tomorrow and following day have also dropped a degree to 0°C and 1°C. Looks like it may be a bad one for the palms after all.

I'm so sorry mate. I shouldn't have joked about that high. When it actually becomes a reality there's nothing to laugh about. That sounds like the same lousy high that we got for so long. Only we had a bit more latitude to save us during the day. 11C as a max. Yuck. Let's hope you get a low to clear it away and it doesn't hang around like a bad smell like it did here. 2 weeks we had that thing hanging around for. Worst winter on record so far over here.

I hope you fair well and you warm up soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Give me the sun anyday. Would rather have the colder nights and mornings if it means the

sun is going to shine all day. :D

Was 3.6 here this morning - coldest yet.

Edited by Mike in Nelson

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Reached 35.3C/95.6F yesterday and not cooler then 19.8C/67.6F last night. A small part in the southeast reached to 36C or higher but the most of the country where between the 33 and 35C.

tx20100709.small.png

It's 25C at the moment and partly cloudy, possibilities are there to get some heavy thunderstorms this afternoon and tomorrow.

NICE

Todays highs over my part of the world in the southern hemisphere winter. It looks the dry season has finally kicked in here.

SaturdayJul10.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

NICE

Indeed very nice :) 32C here at the moment but seawind is coming in, the southeast is going for a second 35C day in a row ;)

post-171-12787635150033_thumb.png

Southwest

Not much to report from durbs. Standard winter temps. Could do with some rain though.

Pity the Boks froze (in more ways than one) in Eden Park. Today was a nice sunny 28c, tomorrow a cloudy 239.

Cheers all. Hope it warms up deep down under for the next game in NZ!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Not much to report from durbs. Standard winter temps. Could do with some rain though.

Pity the Boks froze (in more ways than one) in Eden Park. Today was a nice sunny 28c, tomorrow a cloudy 239.

Um that's 23c and not 239. Hehehe

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

-1.8°C yesterday.

-1.7°C today, but much more frost. Still white parts of the lawn at 10:30

Looks like a low of 4°C tonight, so should avoid a dreaded three in a row.

Another few days of low temps by the looks, then we jump back up to double digit lows.

Still 14 fewer frosts than last year. :)

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

Um that's 23c and not 239. Hehehe

Global warming hey? :D

-1.8°C yesterday.

-1.7°C today, but much more frost. Still white parts of the lawn at 10:30

Looks like a low of 4°C tonight, so should avoid a dreaded three in a row.

Another few days of low temps by the looks, then we jump back up to double digit lows.

Still 14 fewer frosts than last year. :)

Yuck. I hope you warm up tonight.

I've had over 10mm overnight with more coming and a min of 10C!!! Haven't seen a double digit min all July and since the end of June. One of my bottle palms is starting to yellow. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Brrrr,thats cold! We have been lucky with the weather here so far this winter. Today I walked out of the supermarket into a warm humid atmosphere...it felt great, as it has been a long time since we had warm humid weather. Definitely didn't feel like the dead middle of winter. Hopefully winter will be all over before we know it!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Still single digit nights here but well above freezing mercifully. 21 again today, typical July weather, apart from the cloud cover. No rain of course. Noticed all the Calyptrocalyx seedlings that have sulked since last October have suddenly had a real growth spurt. Cold nights seem to agree with them.

Peachy

27.35 south.

21C days are few and far between in July for us. Although we had one the other day. It got to 19C today with periods of heavy rain followed by sun. Some foul but necessary weather is going to crash into us tonight. My Chambeyronia lepidota's seem to be responding well to the cool damp weather. It's 7 weeks and 2 days until spring. In a few weeks winter will lose it's edge and we'll slowly pull out of winter, much like an old 1.6L Toyota Hiace pulling a caravan up the Gillies Highway in North QLD. Slow and steady. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Reached to 33.4C yesterday with a humidity again close to the 30%. Last evening a big organised thundercomplex including a supercell crossed the netherlands and leave in a large area between the 20 and 60 mm of rain. Almost 50.000 lightning strikes and in the middle and the north of the country winds gust till 100 km per hour! Quite dangerous weather during only a few hours with some places big sized hail. The top of the ground is wet again, so that's the positive side on this because everything was yellow and brown and the first trees where also getting drought damage already. I got finally 24 mm of rain, thanks active thunderstorm :)

Last night didn't fall below the 19.5C and it's 29.6C at the moment and a bit cloudy now, coming from 30.9C. Also this evening there can be some strong thunderstorms again, and tomorrow going to be a bit cooler with still possibilities to get some strong thunderstorms. Tuesday going better again and if we have to believe the cards we gonna get another 30C on wednesday ;)

Pictures not mine, but from other fanatic people from the dutch weather forum.

6720101155210.jpg

1720101145522.jpg

1072010112776.jpg

1172010112764.jpg

Hopefully the possible thunderstorm will wait after the final Holland against Spain!

Robbin

Southwest

Thunderbolts and Lightning

Very very frightening

:winkie:

27.35 south.

Reached to 33.4C yesterday with a humidity again close to the 30%. Last evening a big organised thundercomplex including a supercell crossed the netherlands and leave in a large area between the 20 and 60 mm of rain. Almost 50.000 lightning strikes and in the middle and the north of the country winds gust till 100 km per hour! Quite dangerous weather during only a few hours with some places big sized hail. The top of the ground is wet again, so that's the positive side on this because everything was yellow and brown and the first trees where also getting drought damage already. I got finally 24 mm of rain, thanks active thunderstorm :)

Last night didn't fall below the 19.5C and it's 29.6C at the moment and a bit cloudy now, coming from 30.9C. Also this evening there can be some strong thunderstorms again, and tomorrow going to be a bit cooler with still possibilities to get some strong thunderstorms. Tuesday going better again and if we have to believe the cards we gonna get another 30C on wednesday ;)

Pictures not mine, but from other fanatic people from the dutch weather forum.

6720101155210.jpg

1720101145522.jpg

1072010112776.jpg

1172010112764.jpg

Hopefully the possible thunderstorm will wait after the final Holland against Spain!

Robbin

Wild weather Robbin.

Thunderstorms and gusts to 125kph here.

Forecast for Sunday evening

Showers increasing with the risk of a thunderstorm. Strong and squally W/NW

winds, possibly damaging at times this evening and tonight.

Precis: Showers, squally, thunderstorm.

Forecast for Monday

Showers and the risk of a thunderstorm and small hail. Strong and squally W'ly

winds tending SW and beginning to moderate later. Possible damaging squalls

early morning.

Precis: Showers, squally, thunderstorm.

City: Min 8 Max 15

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 15

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Tuesday Few shower easing. Min 8 Max 17

Wednesday Chance of a shower. Min 6 Max 18

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 19

Friday Showers developing later. Min 5 Max 19

Saturday Morning shower. Min 4 Max 18

Sunday Sunny. Min 3 Max 19

Best regards

Tyrone

Batten down the hatches Tyrone. You are getting a taste of some of my summer weather for sure. Hope there's not much damage. The usual storm debris is enough to clean up. The rain is always welcome but sometimes the price is very high.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I was downtown around noon and had my camera along. It was a calm Sunday mid day with a nice weather. It is sort of clouding up now and may have a little rain this afternoon. I took a few pictures of the new park which is part of a massive urban renewal project in Manaus converting the slums along the streambeds through town into parks and avenues. This is an on going program and is reshaping the city. The people who lived in the areas are either paid for their property at above market values or given an apartment. I later went on to the market to buy some peppers and took a few pictures of the riverfront.

dk

post-188-12788692831983_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788693016157_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788693210368_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788693479534_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788693723161_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788693909761_thumb.jpg

post-188-12788694114297_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Had a min of 11.2C and around 25mm of rain in the last 24hrs. I don't think we got any hail, and the SW was expecting the worst but it was a pretty standard rainy winters night here, with strong winds that are followed by calm times as the storm cells pass through. There's blue sky out there now. I have some snapped Syagrus fronds in a few places but apart from that nothing major, although I haven't gone down the back and had a look at my big gum tree. That thing just chucks things down.

Don, that's a very nice part of the city. But why don't they plant the stream up and make it meander a bit more like it would naturally. They do that over here, and I think to myself, why not make it a bit more natural by making it look less man made. It would look nice with some E oleracea and Mauritia planted with their feet in the water. That's my thoughts anyway. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

It looks like winter is setting in now. The minimums have been on a steady but definite decline. The winds are low now and overnight non-existant whilst the moisture content in the air is very low. Then during the day maximums are edging up, typical dry air syndrome.

Overnight minimum was 17.3C (63.1F) with humidity peaking at 97% (the result of the temperature dropping so low).

Yesterday's maximum was 34.3C (93.7F) with low humidity of 29%.

Tyrone, news reports of lot of damage from those storms in Perth, power outages. They also said more was coming.

Robbin, my condolences. sad.gif

Edited by tropicbreeze

Zig, you're now experiencing my summer. Hence we have reticulation here.

I will look and see what damage is on the news. I'm not surprised. "Tornado alley" will likely have some damage. It's windy at the moment, but I tend to miss the worst of these events. I also very rarely get power outages here. I think I'm on the airport grid. Will take a look at the warnings. I have to go out soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

It would be nice to do that I agree. In these areas it is still affected by the seasonal flood of the Negro River and the water rises and falls at least 5 meters or so from low to high water. So, I think part of the reason is this. I imagine that before the city grew in the area it was mostly Mauritias which grow all over town in vacant low lying areas. At least it is a big improvement from what what was there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Tyrone,

It would be nice to do that I agree. In these areas it is still affected by the seasonal flood of the Negro River and the water rises and falls at least 5 meters or so from low to high water. So, I think part of the reason is this. I imagine that before the city grew in the area it was mostly Mauritias which grow all over town in vacant low lying areas. At least it is a big improvement from what what was there.

dk

Yes, that would be the reason I think. It's easier for civil engineers to calculate drainage rates etc if it's done the way that it is. It wasn't a real criticism. The area is really neat.

It's a bleak day today. The wind picks up, blows everything crazy, then you get a bit of a lull, the wind goes quiet for a minute, the sun comes out, then the wind picks up, the sky darkens, the heavens open, then the cycle repeats. These sort of days get me annoyed. The traffic is so slow, it takes forever to get anywhere or anything done, and you really can't be bothered doing anything anyway. It's a tad over 14C today. One of our colder days.

Best regards

Tyrone