IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Peachy, my thoughts are with you. At least our ground is bone dry. Also it must be very teasing to try all of that easily accessible tropical stuff that the coastal gardens can get away with, only to have it fail during record cold.

The cold here is now record breaking. The previous record run of nights below 5C was back in 1997 when we had around 7 nights in a row below 5C. I remember that year because it was the first time in my life that I'd ever seen ice on my car. We'll have had 13 nights by the time the rain comes on Thursday.

To give you an idea how cold it's been, Geraldton on the coast at 28.8S fell to -0.4C today. That area is strongly dry sub-tropical, and coconuts fruit there. This has been a very cold winter so far.

Best regards

Tyrone

There is an upside to all the lows we've been having, Tyrone - warmer nights. :D

Yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tonight will be the 13th night in a row when the temp has dropped below 5C. A totally smashed record now. We dropped to about 0.4C this morning. Many places went below. Quite monotonous really. BUT, we are about to turn the corner. Unfortunately the 80mm originally forecast for Thursday night is now 20mm, but I'll take that. The 80mm will likely fall further south around Margaret River. Once the rain starts even the max's go up. Yippeee.

Forecast for Monday evening

Partly cloudy. Light winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

Forecast for Tuesday

A cold morning with frost in susceptible areas. A partly cloudy day. Light NE

winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Min 2 Max 18

Mandurah: Min 6 Max 17

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Wednesday Sunny. Min 4 Max 19

Thursday Showers developing, windy. Min 7 Max 18

Friday Showers, windy. Min 8 Max 16

Saturday Few showers. Min 7 Max 18

Sunday Few showers. Min 8 Max 18

Monday Few showers. Min 7 Max 17

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hobart Airport - the closest BOM site to me - recorded 3.8mm of rainfall for June - usually one of our wetter months.

Bone dry, and showing no signs of changing. Things are grim when you have to water your Washies in winter....

Send her down Hughie!

Jonathan

Similar scenario to here, but that's worse than us. Hopefully it will change soon when the highs disappear and land on NZ. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Have had over 20 mm rain the last few days. :rage: cold and wet :angry:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Quite mild (for here) last night, went down to 7 and supposed to be 6 tonight but I have only just needed to put the heater on a few minutes ago and its pushing midnight. The next few days are supposed to be cloudy and maybe with some rain. While rain would be nice its such a risk if the temps suddenly go back down again. Tyrone, my coconut is still going strong, as is my Pellie and the Licuala grandis. Humidity is still sitting on 92%, never really know if that is a good or a bad thing. Say what you like about rommies, they make a great canopy and dont take very long doing it. I am sure my losses would have been much higher without them.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Quite mild (for here) last night, went down to 7 and supposed to be 6 tonight but I have only just needed to put the heater on a few minutes ago and its pushing midnight. The next few days are supposed to be cloudy and maybe with some rain. While rain would be nice its such a risk if the temps suddenly go back down again. Tyrone, my coconut is still going strong, as is my Pellie and the Licuala grandis. Humidity is still sitting on 92%, never really know if that is a good or a bad thing. Say what you like about rommies, they make a great canopy and dont take very long doing it. I am sure my losses would have been much higher without them.

Peachy

Agree about the Syagrus. Mine are a great canopy. When they were small I used to get some spotting on things. Now I get nothing. Total protection. I've actually got too much canopy now. Perfect for Chamaedoreas, but I need to get a 30ft pole and saw and start taking off the dead lower branches to open the canopy up a bit.

Night time humidity approaches 100% here lately. We have had a balmy 2.5C this morning, but it's going to go up to much better levels soon. I just took a look at weatherzone and they've put the forecast rainfall back up. From Thursday to Monday we could get anything from 80-160mm of rain. The only problem is on Sat I'm planting a huge native garden up complete with a 200 yr old Macrozamia reidlii. Great for the plants, but I'm sure to look like a drowned rat at the end.

Best regards

Tyrone

Still a bit of cloud around this morning but it's very thin and letting the sun through. The satellite image shows a lot of the large cloud mass over the continent having moved further east. The high pressures are coming through weaker now.

Overnight minimum temperature 22.5C (72.7F), high humidity of 93%. Most of the night the humidity stayed over 90% , and when it did drop below it was only to 89%.

BOM Forecast for Tuesday:

Cloudy with a few showers about. Moderate easterly winds before an afternoon seabreeze.

Precis: A few showers.

Darwin: Max 30 [86F]

Rural: Max 31 [87.8F]

UV Alert 9:50 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Tyrone, the latest low off Sumatra is dropping southwards a lot more as it backs off towards the west. You never know, it might come through in between the highs rather than below them. Especially as the highs are weakening now.

Cold? Dont make me laugh.....or cry!

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Cold? Dont make me laugh.....or cry!

It has been threating to rain, but the only cold is with AC on at night.

Manaus, Brazil

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Details for Tuesday, July 06, 2010

High Temperature

34°C

RealFeel®

43°C

Winds

NNE 3

Maximum UV

Thunderstorm Probability

60%

Amount of Precipitation

Low Temperature

24°C

RealFeel®

28°C

Winds

NNE 3

Thunderstorm Probability

35%

Sun & Moon

Sunrise: 7/6/2010 6:06:23 AM

Sunset: 7/6/2010 6:03:19 PM

Moonrise: 7/6/2010 1:01:20 AM

Moonset: 7/6/2010 1:16:17 PM

Hours of Daylight: 11

Hours of Darkness: 13

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Heavy cloud cover all day, had to put the lights on in the house at 4.30pm. Noticed all the cars crossing the bridge had lights on too. The next week's forecast is for minimums of 7 & 8c and with the garden being so thirsty, today I hand watered everything in the backyard that looked dry. 4 hours of holding a hose on a very cold day. UGH. A lot of palms are looking tatty and spotty and I don't know if it is from dryness or cold or a combination of both. Hyophorbe indica isnt looking too happy nor the Clinostigma samoense. Roll on a long wet summer....please.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The Cold temps for the day across my part of the globe. From the looks of it I guess I am in the warmest spot.

ColdtempsJuly6.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

5mm today.... Woohoo and it is still drizzling now.... It is JULY!!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Really hot and muggy here in the Philippines. Am in Manila for a couple of days for work.

Temp was officially 32C, but it felt a lot hotter than that. A lot of people walking around with umbrellas up...but not a cloud in the sky....were just being used for shade.

Flying into Manila last night, nature put on a dazzling show of lightning bursts in the nearby clouds....fantastic....(exactly like you'd get in Darwin in February Ari.)

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Heavy cloud cover all day, had to put the lights on in the house at 4.30pm. Noticed all the cars crossing the bridge had lights on too. The next week's forecast is for minimums of 7 & 8c and with the garden being so thirsty, today I hand watered everything in the backyard that looked dry. 4 hours of holding a hose on a very cold day. UGH. A lot of palms are looking tatty and spotty and I don't know if it is from dryness or cold or a combination of both. Hyophorbe indica isnt looking too happy nor the Clinostigma samoense. Roll on a long wet summer....please.

Peachy

Peachy, do you have recent photo of your Hyophorbe indica? Would be interested to have a look.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

It's only it's first winter in the ground Mike, just over a metre tall. Don't have any photos of it and can't face the camera operation/downloading/uploading ordeal. Quite a few black spots and dead leaflets plus its one of the few palms here that isnt sending up a winter spear.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The weather has been good here for the last few days, mild nights, warm days, a little rain and increased humidity...pretty good for July so far. The forecast looks good too...I'd be happy if it stays like this for the rest of winter...but who am I kidding!

Daryl

Forecast for Wednesday

Cloudy but mostly fine. A little rain at times, more likely at night. Mostly

light to moderate W to SW winds.

Precis: Cloudy, mostly fine.

City: Min 12 Max 19

Bayside: Min 11 Max 19

UV Alert: 10:40 am to 1:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Thursday A few showers. Min 12 Max 20

Friday A shower or two. Min 12 Max 21

Saturday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 22

Sunday Mostly fine. Min 12 Max 22

Monday Mostly fine. Min 11 Max 22

Tuesday Mostly fine Min 11 Max 23

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, your weather is looking alright. Only around 7 weeks until Spring.

Rain in Darwin in July, 6.3C max in Alice Springs and 50mm of rain. Weird.

Zig, that Sumatran low may likely feed into the mid level disturbance which is meant to come down the west coast and then combine with the cold front which will get us on Thursday night. If so, the rain could be impressive. It hasn't been hot during the day here, but it's been sunny. I actually got mildly sun burnt today. Never had that happen before.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's amazing the temperature spread this morning. I would have said it was a warmer morning than we have been getting lately, but Perth dropped to 1C, Perth Airport was 5.5C min, Jandakot airport is frozen solid again at -1.4C and Swanbourne right on the beach is 5.3C, cooler than the airport. It's almost like the different locations picked there minimum temps out of a hat.

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

Hope you cop some badly needed rain over the next few days ! Looks like tomorrow might be some decent falls.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Alice Springs (NT) and Echuca (Vic) both had their coldest days ever yesterday.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

It's only it's first winter in the ground Mike, just over a metre tall. Don't have any photos of it and can't face the camera operation/downloading/uploading ordeal. Quite a few black spots and dead leaflets plus its one of the few palms here that isnt sending up a winter spear.

Peachy

So what are the black spots anyway? I have them on my Golden Cane - something to with winter weather I suspect.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Alice Springs (NT) and Echuca (Vic) both had their coldest days ever yesterday.

Yes, I noticed the unsually low temps for the Alice forecast.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

A freezing day here....maxed at 11c. Almost a record daytime low for here. I only went outside for a couple of minutes...not my type of conditions I am afraid. Mike, I noticed my dictyosperma has black spots too. Only ever happens in winter, so it must be cold damage. Golden canes are tough as old boots here and even a black frost will only singe the outer fronds. Supposed to be 20 tomorrow so that will make my all vulcano seedlings happier.

Peachy

27.35 south.

The bizarre weather continued yesterday but today seemed to be getting back to normal. Yesterday I got 5.8 millimetres of rain. Humidity followed the rain. Afternoon it went up to 94% but when the rain stopped and the wind began it dropped and was generally below 75% through the night.

The wind was strong all night, maximum gust at my place 25.7 KPH. This morning felt really cold, had to put a jumper on. At 8:30 am it was still only 22.0C (71.6F) and didn't get over 25C (77.0F) until 10:00 am.

The winds have been north east to east north east, but I think that'll soon change with the way the high pressures seem to be ramping up. But the rain, as little as it was, was quite welcome.

Overnight minimum temperature was 20.5C (68.9F).

Today's maximum temperature was 31.8C (89.2F).

The cold weather down south seems to have been associated with that cloud mass that moved south east across the continent. Although it brought us a sprinkle of rain our temperatures remained good for winter. Anyway, every day is one day closer to wet season/summer.

A freezing day here....maxed at 11c. Almost a record daytime low for here. I only went outside for a couple of minutes...not my type of conditions I am afraid. Mike, I noticed my dictyosperma has black spots too. Only ever happens in winter, so it must be cold damage. Golden canes are tough as old boots here and even a black frost will only singe the outer fronds. Supposed to be 20 tomorrow so that will make my all vulcano seedlings happier.

Peachy

That's ridiculously cold Peachy. We nearly made it to 21C today.

Michael, yes we're expecting some good rain soon. Anywhere between 85-170mm of rain is forecast from Thur to Mon. Thank goodness. 14 nights in a row below 5C is way too many.

Best regards

Tyrone

I left my white piggie out last night as it was so mild through the evening and still 16C at midnight. Then the wind started blowing from who knows where...one of the windiest nights in a long time here. I was worried it might do some damage. Anyway it never got below 14C, which was good, but then the cold set in this morning and we had a miserable, cloudy, rainy day. Only maxed out at 18C here. Need some sunshine please! It's been a very cloudy winter so far this year, very different to our usual winter conditions.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

After 2 cooler days we are going back to a new heat push. From tomorrow till next Tuesday temperatures between the 29-32C/84.2-89.6C forecasted and nights between the 15-17C/59-62.6F. Proberly it will be a bit higher because the drought and the models don't count that when they are forming the temperatures. No really rain forecasted, could be a hot final coming sunday! :D

Need about 250 mm of rain at the moment to work my drought away.

Southwest

I left my white piggie out last night as it was so mild through the evening and still 16C at midnight. Then the wind started blowing from who knows where...one of the windiest nights in a long time here. I was worried it might do some damage. Anyway it never got below 14C, which was good, but then the cold set in this morning and we had a miserable, cloudy, rainy day. Only maxed out at 18C here. Need some sunshine please! It's been a very cloudy winter so far this year, very different to our usual winter conditions.

Daryl

Daryl, as far as cloudiness is concerned, the east and west coasts have swapped this winter, although I think from today onwards it will swap back to normal. There are some serious storms coming on the radar about to hit in 2 or 3 hrs. I'm going to go and dig a hole for the 300L Macrozamia reidlii I've got coming this arvo before the rain hits.

Best regards

Tyrone

After 2 cooler days we are going back to a new heat push. From tomorrow till next Tuesday temperatures between the 29-32C/84.2-89.6C forecasted and nights between the 15-17C/59-62.6F. Proberly it will be a bit higher because the drought and the models don't count that when they are forming the temperatures. No really rain forecasted, could be a hot final coming sunday! :D

Robbin,

It is interesting watching the world news showing the hot weather in Europe and elsewhere in the northern hemisphere summer. What people suffer from and complain about as hot is nothing other than the normal daytime temperatures around here. Yesterday while driving through the city I noticed one of the many street side time and temperature signs reading 42 C at 330 pm. Now it might have not been 42 C and sign could have been off. But, in that location of the city it is normally hotter than at the airport where the official tempertures are report, and it was a real hot one yesterday. But, no one ever really complains about the heat here, they just go about their business normally. I think for sure there is a bit of mental reaction to temperatures as well as physical. Now if the weather ever gets below 20 C people say they are freezing to death.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Another cool cloudy day here. The poor palms dont like it at all but I am sleeping well knowing that when its like this there is no chance of a frost. Down to 8 last night...almost tropical for this time of year, with 0.5 mm of rain !! Big deal. Had to go out earlier and overheard everyone complaining about the cold, but in jeans, gucci windcheater and ugg boots I was feeling fine. It was a fraction over 19. At least I didnt need the heating on in the daytime. There's been a bit of a stiff breeze gusting now and then but nothing too drastic. Tyrone, I really that storm forecast for Perth isnt as bad as they predict. They can make a hell of a mess. Best of british old boy.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Robbin,

It is interesting watching the world news showing the hot weather in Europe and elsewhere in the northern hemisphere summer. What people suffer from and complain about as hot is nothing other than the normal daytime temperatures around here. Yesterday while driving through the city I noticed one of the many street side time and temperature signs reading 42 C at 330 pm. Now it might have not been 42 C and sign could have been off. But, in that location of the city it is normally hotter than at the airport where the official tempertures are report, and it was a real hot one yesterday. But, no one ever really complains about the heat here, they just go about their business normally. I think for sure there is a bit of mental reaction to temperatures as well as physical. Now if the weather ever gets below 20 C people say they are freezing to death.

dk

There definitely is a certain amount of adjustment to local climate. Since I moved north, a night time temp of say 8c now feels chilly to me but would not have back in my home town where the climate is cooler. Don't know how I would cope with sub zero temps now!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

As the cold, wet weather pushed east into Queensland, there were some more amazing maximums: Longreach 11c and Charleville 9c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Another cool cloudy day here. The poor palms dont like it at all but I am sleeping well knowing that when its like this there is no chance of a frost. Down to 8 last night...almost tropical for this time of year, with 0.5 mm of rain !! Big deal. Had to go out earlier and overheard everyone complaining about the cold, but in jeans, gucci windcheater and ugg boots I was feeling fine. It was a fraction over 19. At least I didnt need the heating on in the daytime. There's been a bit of a stiff breeze gusting now and then but nothing too drastic. Tyrone, I really that storm forecast for Perth isnt as bad as they predict. They can make a hell of a mess. Best of british old boy.

Peachy

Thanks Peachy. It came down really heavy on a few occasions today. Really good rain. It should get rough tonight and tomorrow. So far it's pretty calm here. Southern areas are expecting small hail. At least we've got some rain and an end to those incredibly cold freezing temps.

Best regards

Tyrone

Robbin,

dk

Well that's quite normal right because you live in way more warmer climate then I do. Here loads of people are complaing indeed when it's 30C for days after eachother because they don't used to it. Specially the older generation is complaining when it's nice and warm for a longer time. The younger generation like me, ask 9 of the 10 people and they all want 12 months summer. Our normal average for july is 22C maximum temperature so when you live weeks after eachother above this they can say it's quite warm, also normally when it's 30C or higher of here the humidity is also very high from 90% or more and the most people don't like that, specially the older generation again. This time it's a bit different, because it's not raining for a long time now also humidity is going lower like yesterday it was almost 20% and then you don't hear many people complaining. In southern europe summer temperatures between the 30-40C is normal, also there when it's 20C or cooler they find it cold. Another issue, we don't have the nature over here they could resist a long dry period with high temperatures, trees and plants are suffering from the warm weather and at some places the first things turning yellow or brown already from the drought. Also a thing what looks like it's changing we don't have many days anymore that it's raining whole the day during summer. Specially the last few years, longer drier periods are more common and they rain is faliing during heavy thunderstorms. Most of the time way to much in a short time what give streetfloodings as result.

Another thing is why people are very fast compaing that it's to warm is there live speed or how do you describe it in englisch. When it's 35C people are still working just so fast when it's 15C, they don't slow down. In southern europe everything going a bit slower when it's on the warmest time of the day. Also that is proberly because it's hot there every day and normally not over here. Otherwise the last 10 years it looks like it's getting warmer and specially the extremer records are broken. In 2003 we had a very hot summer with also temperatures like 35C or higher. I can remember loads of messages on the internet that something like that only happens once in the 20 years. After 7 years we saw temperatures from 36-38C on 2006, 2009 and also already in 2010.

It's all depending on where you live I think and what your normal average are, but for me please give me 30C weather for 12 months please? :)

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Overnight minimum temperature 22.3C (72.1F), peak humidity 94%.

Maximum temperature today was 32.2C (90.0F) with humidity bottoming out at 48%.

Normally July is our coldest month but luckily so far we're travelling a bit above average. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can access averages for Noonamah, but generally temperatures are between Darwin and Middle Point. So I've used the mid point between both as the figure for Noonamah.

July Av. min. 17.9C (64.2F), so far this July 2010, 21.2C (70.2F)

July Av. max. 31.8C (89.2F), so far this July 2010, 32.2C (90.0F)

Tyrone, I saw the massive cold pool of air moving up from the south, and there was a low forming off the Pilbara coast. Was hoping the Pilbara low might make the move south but unfortunately it's stayed virtually stationary. I noticed Mandurah got strong winds today, and Rottnest Island.

Zig, Rottnest Island always get the worst weather being offshore. Mandurah is right on the coast and smack bang in "tornado alley" which stretches from Rockingham to just south of Mandurah. There may be a few tonight as the worst storms make landfall. I'm glad I live in the relatively peaceful inland areas. That cold pool of air is actually warmer than what we've been having the last fortnight. Nights from 6-11C are forecast for the next few days, which is quite toasty actually.

Best regards

Tyrone

Robbin, you should come here then. Average daily maximum temperature for the year is about 33C. We get an average of 350 days per year of 30C or more. It's easy to get used to, any day with a maximum below 30C feels cold, or there's a cyclone close by and you've got a lot of other things on your mind.

Zig the few times I have been up north I have nearly died. I am fine until it hits 30, then I need airconditioning or I fall apart. On the other hand, I had to move to Qld to find out what real cold was. My first winter on the Darling Downs nearly killed me. I had chapped lips, chillblains and a red nose for the entire winter. It may have been colder when I lived in NYC, but I was never outside for more than a few seconds as I ran from shop to shop, so I didnt really notice. Robbin I bet if you lived in the Northern Territory you would soon be very tired of the heat and humidity too.

Peachy

27.35 south.

No... I don't really. Heat doesn't bother me. Yes, I complain during the build up, but then the wet season hits, and everything is great!!! The rain brings smile to my face :). Everything is so green and grows so fast. That and the best thunderstorms in the country... Nothing like it...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Zig the few times I have been up north I have nearly died. I am fine until it hits 30, then I need airconditioning or I fall apart. On the other hand, I had to move to Qld to find out what real cold was. My first winter on the Darling Downs nearly killed me. I had chapped lips, chillblains and a red nose for the entire winter. It may have been colder when I lived in NYC, but I was never outside for more than a few seconds as I ran from shop to shop, so I didnt really notice. Robbin I bet if you lived in the Northern Territory you would soon be very tired of the heat and humidity too.

Peachy

Peachy,

I come from a cold climate where the temperatures can hit minus 40 C in the winter. And, this at times with a wind blowing at 50 kms or so per hour. I really never get tired of our climate here. By the time the rainy season ends I get a bit tired of so much rain. And, by the time the dry season ends I get tired of so much sun shine. The humidity range here is from 50 to 100 percent all year. And, there is not much wind. Just a breeze. There is no trade wind effect here like a place such as Hawaii. It is nice just not to have to worry about temperatures, it is always the same. Life has enough other complications to worry about.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

HOT HOT HOT here in the Washington D.C. area! 3 straight days of 101F or better, and 2 straight days of record temps at Washington National Airport (DCA). Mon: 101, Tues: 102, Wed: 102. Both IAD (dulles) and BWI (baltimore) also were 101 or higher for 3 straight days, with BWI coming in with the highest record of 105F on Tues. The temp at DCA (Washingotn National) is a bit misleading since it sticks out into the Potomac River, and is thus cooled by several degress. Most areas 1/4 mile or more away from water measured temps in the 104-106 range. I recorded 103, 104, and 105 respectively, in the shade. We also set at least ONE record overnight high - low temp (high minimum) of 80F last night. Again, most areas 1/4th mile away from water stayed in the mid to upper 80s all night. Dewpoints have been running in the high 60s to low to mid 70s as well pushing the heat index well above 110F. (thats what it feels like to skin) We will finally cool off a bit today and tomorrow with highs around 95F and over the weekend we may even drop below 90 for daytime highs, but were going right back to the low / mid 90s for all of next week, then possibly another heat wave that could be even HOTTER and LONGER than this last one.

The month of June had 11 consecutive days of 90 or higher temps, and 20 days of the entire month were 90F or better. Unusually HOT for June. We are also now 6" down on rainfall, and it is starting to show. Grasses are dormant and brown, some trees are showing drought stress, and even many crops are showing significant drought stress, unless they are irrigated. Based on what I saw driving through the massive, flat, unending cornfields of the Eastern shore of MD and Southern DE it looks like a significant percentage of at least the corn crops there will be damaged or destroyed unless we get significant rain soon.

I hope that this upper level low pressure system off the coast of the Carolinas that is retrograding, (moving west/nw back towards the coast) does turn tropical before it moves inland and gives us large amounts of rain. Don't want a full on hurricane, but I guess well take what we can get. A depression or minimal tropical storm would be the perfect drought buster! Right now, the only thing it is doing is giving us some hot and gusty easterly winds. At least those winds will cool us down a little bit the next couple days.