IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else DRY while the rest get wet?

gsytch

I've been a bit underwhelmed with the rainy season this year so far. It has really been feast or famine, and it seems there have been less severe thunderstorms for my area than average.

-Michael

Yesterday was one of those famine days :angry:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I saw a cluster around Orlando yesterday.....it must have missed y'all there. Here - just hot muggy and DRY. Even after 10" of rain in a week, a full week of hot, sunny weather just dries out everything but the trees/large shrubs. Oh well, one can hope! Yes, very few bad storms or lightning. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Parts of my yard are still mud, received around .5" yesterday morning in a pop up shower.

As with every summer, I'm in the 90th rain percentile. That means there must be at least a 90% chance of rain for it to come down here.

Hey Scott, is that profile photo taken from Bayshore Blvd?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The last two days I got sprinkled on...as I watered and watered and watered, the same as I do in the dry season. This summer is getting old.

-Michael

This dry spell is supposed to continue until the first of August. :(

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Dry here again. Only had around 100mm of rain so far for July one of our wettest months. We should get 170mm this month but it won't happen. Meanwhile SE QLD and Brisbane which should be getting nothing more than dew this time of year gets rain. Still if it was wet with this record cold weather I would have a really horrible looking garden. As it is only a few things are not happy. Spring and summer are tipped to be wetter than usual. I don't mind that provided it warms up. At the least the daylight will be there for longer. You can always count on that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

HUGE storms moved through Sunday night dumping over 2 1/2" of rain in a few hours. Needless to say, thankful rain as the forecast this week is dry and hot. This is a really weird summer. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Here in NE St. Pete, the little rain we've gotten can't compete with the almost daily 95 degree temps. When we do get that big gully washer, it's all run off because the ground is so dry. My attempts to water seem futile too, especially having to do it by hand with out a sprinkler system. I'm really bummed. All my palms still look trashed from winter and the rest of the tropicals are just struggling & burning up with this spotty rain. Frustrating to say the least. :(

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Well, I'm over this summer, if we aren't going to get any appreciable rain anyways, bring on "autumn". The palms would still do well with highs of 82F-86F and lows in the 60s.

-Michael

Except for a 5 day dry period last week, the rain has been overwhelming here. When it does rain, it is in buckets. I have measured over 14" this month and it is thundering, again. Last night's lightning show was great, too. It has been hard to get yard work done because everything is wet every morning from the rains, and in the evening the sky is dark and threatening, usually ready to rock. It usually does. My water bill welcomes the break! It is hard to believe that others are not getting the big rains I am, but then in June I missed most of it. I hope it spreads itself out. :drool:

Well, I got my dry spell. Not a drop since Sun evening. Just sunny, extremely muggy, and dry. This has easily been the sunniest summer in recent memory. Very few days with many clouds. Woke up to 81F with a dewpoint of 80F and a strong west wind (Gulf temp 88F. While some drying is needed, I actually had to water some plants in the landscape despite 14" of rain in July. But, I did get good rains so I am lucky. :drool:

Hot? Yes! Right now my therm is reading 95F at 130pm. Barely a cloud. Dewpoint is 80F, again. West wind 10mph off GOM at now 89F...heat index - priceless! And the heat advisory is only for Hillsborough and Pinellas, not my county lol. Greg

Can a Florida savvy person confirm, is this the driest summer on record?

It's Saturday and I decided to go to work. Being out in the full sun yard before 5 PM is just, not comfortable.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

It has rained a LOT at my house in July. I';ve recorded over 14", 6" in two days earlier in the month. BUt, what it has been is SUNNY. I've lived here 22 summers, and this is definitely the sunniest. Day after day. Even on days when it poured buckets, the sun came out a lot. Usually we get cloudier, hazy weather. Even is storms do not hit you the blowoff keeps you cloudier. Not this year. Very isolated and I was lucky several times. June not so much so I baked then! Hope it changes. I've looked at records across the US and the weather is extreme. Las Vegas set its all time hottest month while San Diego had its 6th coolest July on record. Phoenix just got 1.5" of rain and a dewpoint of 72F, Central Park 2nd hottest July, Wash DC top 5, ACity NJ 2nd warmest July and 5 days of 100F+ with several close. That's climate - the average of the extremes....remember winter in FL? It seemed like it would never end? Now summer won't lol........... :drool:

Since I water my palms every morning, they have really taken off in the heat. I can measure the growth on some of them in inches per day. The coconuts seem to be my fastest growing palm at this time of year

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

It's just continues to be miserably hot here in St. Pete with not enough rain to sustain these temps. Currently another heat index of 105+ :rage:

I can't get crap done in the yard and am barely able to water enough to sustain everything. Strange year indeed. :blink:

I gave up on the chance of rain yesterday as the storms were moving east/SE away from the GOM. But - got home at 9pm and low and behold a line came thru thereafter. Banged and rocked for over an hour with 2" + rain keeping up the feast or famine routine of summer. I saw St Pete got rocked, too. Yesterday everything was looking heat exhausted. Today - fresh and plump! Nice :mrlooney:

Congrats on the rain! Rocked for St. Pete is over-stated. We got .19" :angry: Better than nothing I suppose

You are in a real dry spot! The radar was lit up into St Pete, too. Over 2" here and possibly more as I could not believe how much accumulated in open containers. Here's hoping you get your share!~

We only got significant rain Sunday, I saw evidence of pouring rain. Monday came and dried things up to a crisp. I had to turn ON my irrigation a mere ONE day after massive rain. Today is not looking any better. Then will come Colin to suck up what little moisture we could wish for :angry:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Belly aching helps sometimes :mrlooney: ...same effect as washing your car apparently. 1.12" so far in the last hour. I could do with out all the lightening. Just saw a firetruck rush down the street. 38th ave a half block away is flooded, cars going no more than 20mph. Still hoping for the slow and steady rainfall which has eluded us all summer.

I'm gonna make a stab and say everyone in Central FL has received good rains in the past 6 days...........but me. It has rained every day here, but each time the heavy stuff misses. Total since Monday is .65 last Sunday was 2.+" even this morning's tstorm didnt drench us. Not that the rain is needed BUT as summer wanes it is always good to get what you can in before the rainy season stops in late Sept. Darn Hot and Muggy - as usual! :drool:

0.2mm of rain so far for August. Only 129.8mm to go to reach the average. Some rain coming through tomorrow night and storms on Thursday with a possibly slow moving front.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The past 10 days has seen rain every day, yet only 1.1" total so the yard needs some help. We just kept missing anything heavy. It would rain for a few minutes, then move on - NOT the way to get things watered. I'll have the hose out today as it is hot and dry without any rain expected. ANYONE else get rain lately? The last heavy rain we had was 2 sundays ago...come back please! G~ :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

Today's storms dumped more than 3.5" of rain at my house. Boy is it about time we got some REAL rain, I hope it keeps up through September.

-Michael

Yes - after missing all the heavy rains for weeks, 4" fell since Sat AM...and I fertilized late last week :-))! Perfect. Now, palms let's grow already..

We've had good rain the last couple of days. It dries up quickly and then we go days without. With our fast draining soil and 90+ heat, I've yet to roll the hose up for this summer. It's just been so spotty. We've gotten great rains in the last couple of days & is raining as I type but I really miss our daily afternoon thunderstorms you could set your watch to. On a positive note, hurricane season has been a bust so far so I'll deal with it.

We have had nearly a FOOT OF RAIN since Saturday. I have a large coffee container I left in the yard on Sunday that has filled over - you know, the $7.99 xtra large can? It also rained Saturday - a lot - so do the math. That is a LOT of rain...and no sunshine either......FEAST OR FAMINE FOR SURE! :drool:

The rain gauge has been emptied twice since Saturday AM...that's 6" each time. Now, it wasnt spilling over but close, and it is half full from Thur/Fri. Do the math! What an erratic summer rainy season. I have measured over 18" of rain just this August. It makes the Amazon seem almost desert-like lol........... :drool: