IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else DRY while the rest get wet?

gsytch

Living in Tampa Bay, we always go through ups and downs when it comes to rains. This winter, I received a bounty, and considering the cold, not when I wanted it. Now that summer has set in, I am missing almost all of the rains. In fact, I will be going out to water after 7pm as things are wilting rather badly. Last Saturday we got 2" in less than hour. Since then, nothing but a few showers and HOT HOT SUNNY. 80F this morning's low, 91F high. When I need it most - I miss it! It thundered every day since Monday, storms were pouring on inland areas and to the east. Now they say "drying up" this week! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH Anyone else go through this? It is so frustrating. Just a 10 minute downpour would do so much good! Greg :rage:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Goes without saying no rain in So Cal. Just like the song says....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes. SW of Oz, rainiest month is June, so far with no rain, and the east coast which should be drying out gets floods and tornadoes and constant rain. I wouldn't be too concerned with no rain in winter if it wasn't for that fact that we get 80% of our annual rainfall in winter and dry summers.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dry here, only 7" all year. GREAT less water for the weeds. :mrlooney:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

We got skipped by the rain in April/May, many times. Arriving home, me and my car were soaking wet while the streets and lawn were bone dry. That's how my $286 water bill came to be! :angry:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Last monday a rogue shower poured 1/2" over my house in 10 minutes! I was thrilled. Unfortunately, it came with a rare cold front. Cold front in June means lows near 70f, afternoons in the 90's, and dewpoints in the middle 60's - OR HOT BLAZING SUN! So, what rain fell went bye-bye....as I am back to watering. Thankful for the spitting, hopeful for the rainy season and a break on my water bill. Luckily, I live in a city that owns water rights so my highest bill is usually $50 and that occurs only in May/June. I have shadehouses with tropicals, but still have a reasonable water bill! Blue skies, not a cloud seen for the second day, 92.8F at 4pm, dewpoint 67F equals REALLY HOT AND DRY~ Greg :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Middle 90's -100F is as hot as Central Florida gets! It is here. Where is the rainy season? It looked promising the end of May/early June as I HEARD thunder and the radar was lighting up, but that has turned off! Last nights storm missed us...small as it was. G~

Just had our first rain in 6 months of very hot weather (hottest,driest in a decade),

Continuous downpours every day in the form of big thunderstorms. I lost many palms here in the nursery

and in the ground, inc 3 nice trunking Hyophorbe indica. In pots D.Pinatifrons 300> D.Rivilaris 200.

Now the rain has arived super humid (sauna) everything growing like rockets, yellow sunburnt palms going

green. weeds growing fast too. We have finished El Nino going to normal weather pattern now, they say El Nina

is coming again like last year with the bad floods of Typhoon Ondoy which caused huge problems here especially

in Manila. Would be nice just to get those on/off thunderstorms to keep the moisture around but thats the way it

goes in these times of crazy weather patterns I guess.

Steve< You say even in there in you place you have very dry conditions??

Jerry.

The rainy season is transitioning to the dry season. But, it is still more rainy than dry. Which in the end is the normal state of affair here on my side of the equator.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hope this El Nino weather pattern is coming to an end as whenever that happens we tend to get extended dry periods as has happened this year. Lost a nice Salacca magnifica this winter due to not giving it any supplemental water. We've had some very light rains recently but only enough to wet the ground. The bromeiads appreciate it but that's about all. Sure hope our summer afternoon showers return soon!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Yesterday was the first rain in a long, long time.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

The bad thing about spring cold fronts is that an hour of dry, hot winds can undo all the rains preceding it.

Yesterday it tried to rain but only a few drops. I hope today the trend continues and the rainy season resumes, after a week of bone dry weather.

96°F in Orlando at 3:10 PM! It reeeally feels like it outside.

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Rainy season began here yesterday at 4:15 p.m. We got 4/10s inch of rain, the first since 1/4" back in May, nada in April. Today was a trace, which turned a 96F afternoon into a steam bath.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The thunder arrived yet again. The rain did not yet again.It hit 96F in my yard along the coast (just shy of a mile from GOM) as the dewpoints were nearer 80F. My yard was scorched. I had yard guys doing the palms and some trees, and I paid them to weed and mulch because it is TOO HOT and SUNNY for me! My pale skin can't take it even with SPF70! Oh well, maybe soon? :angry:

Dry thunder only last evening over here too. I hope nature puts it's act together tonight and give us back our rainy season, otherwise I'm gonna be broke really soon.

:badday:

:floor:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

1.25" of rain today for me in Citrus Park. Temp w as 95 f at 1pm at 2pm temp was down to 76f. Lowest temp this morning was 81f.

More thunder Wed afternoon, no rain but the blowoff did cloud us over for an hour! I am happy with that (sad isnt it?)....More thunder at wake up this morning, off the coast, dissipated

in an hour. It did fall below 80F though...79.6F....for a moment or two. Now it is sunny, hot, muggy, dry. More watering. Argh! Seems like every June is like this here at the coast.We seem to be the last to get the "rainy" season. We will probably get like 6" in an hour when it does rain! Greg :rage:

It thundered again....for ABOUT an hour! No rain of course. Heat Index is 115F on the weather undergound thermometer...95F with a dewpoint of 80F! Bake bake bake.....LOL Greg :hmm:

Dunno? Thundered for two more hours this afternoon. Total rain= zero. Land O Lakes 2.3" Temple Terrace 1.8" me .00".........

1.29" rain again today ! The rainy season has now arrived in my neck of the Tampa area.

Just in from watering the yard. Stop bragging Scott! You would not believe how heat stressed my yard is. There are plants starting to go downhill fast from lack of water. NOTHING beats rainfall! Send it to me! Greg :rage:

We hadn't had any rain for 8 days then got .13 on Tues and a drenching yesterday, 2.22 !!! With lots of lightning. The last 3 days our weather station has registered 100 or 101 as highs.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Still no rain, lots of thunder, lots of blue skies overhead. The weatherman said, "Get your umbrellas handy" for today! LOL I do not even see a cloud and its 92F in the yard already. Total rain for June .06" which fell on the 2nd I believe, in a 10 min downpour. That is it! Its like laughing at me.....

My yard is missing the rain up here, while I hear thunder and see clouds it skips over me. my soil is drying out, such a rare site!

I misted and watered the jungle this morning. highs have been around 100 degrees lately, humidity is fairly high due to the large amount of forest here.

plants are leaping, can only imagine what they will do when they get a few inches of the wet stuff from the skies!drool.gif

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

You'll get a kick out of this - while I was watering this afternoon, I had African Bush Daisies, been in 3yrs so they are like 4x4, wilting....they are native of dry african areas! My Pentas looked so droopy I thought they might be seriously injured, and my Ginger are actually burning. We received an hour of blowoff clouds (thankful for little things)while they have area flood warnings out for Polk County to my east. Nothing, Nada.

it finnaly rained today. 0.60" logged officially

the temp went from 95 to 78 in one hour, felt nice and refreshing.biggrin.gif

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

It rained yesterday for an hour, lightly. Total less than .20" but what difference having the cooling and mositure. This morning the yard and shadehouses looked so much better! It started pouring about 20 mins ago and basically around my area, so I expect things will really perk up! It took 19 days of June for us to start the "rainy season:...but it is here!!!!!! :lol:

It has rained this week! Yippee....but we have missed the heavy stuff. Three rains, total just about an inch. Just east to me they are getting swamped. When is it my turn? A teacher I teach with in Land O lakes has recorded over 6" this month. Me, about an inhc and a half. NOT FAIR! BUt, I'll take what I can get! Greg :angry:

No rain at all. Barely a cloud...95-97F afternoons. The other day a storm came right at us, developed, got stronger, I even shut my computer down the lightning was so bad........and drizzle for 5 mins! It fell apart. South of me it poured. No rain for 12 days and maybe 1 1/2" this month. TORRID! This really bites! :drool:

No rain at all. Barely a cloud...95-97F afternoons. The other day a storm came right at us, developed, got stronger, I even shut my computer down the lightning was so bad........and drizzle for 5 mins! It fell apart. South of me it poured. No rain for 12 days and maybe 1 1/2" this month. TORRID! This really bites! :drool:

1 1/2" in only a month!! Wow!! That's a lot!! My area has gotten about 1/2" this year

Adam 

Greg, I am one of the lucky ones in the Tampa area. I have received 6" for the month so far. Scott

Been dry here in the Orlando area for about the past week. So far this summer it has been either feast or famine, we received 5.5 " in the three days preceding this current seven day dry spell.

-Michael

It finally rained last night, but only .35". Big clusters of storms were approaching, how could I miss these? Even if they hit, it was clear the big rains swept by me yet again. It was an hour long rain so nothing heavy to soak in, but I'll take what I can get! That is almost 1.75" for the month now in 5 rains...not exactly Florida weather. Today was a bright overcast, dewpoint 80F, temp hit 93F, heat index 110F...no rain. It is a perfect day for storms to form but nothing yet. Perhaps later? I've seen Citrus Park and Polk Co get killed. I am so jealous. June averages are 6.09" for my area, July 7.20", May 3.12"....my totals are under 4" total since late April but 1/2 fell in one hour in late May. Oh well, its gotta rain right? Greg arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :drool:

We got around 50mm of rain for June our rainiest month. We're meant to get 180mm. Our third driest June since the 1880's. :( Our second coldest if you look at extreme cold events.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It finally rained last night, but only .35". Big clusters of storms were approaching, how could I miss these? Even if they hit, it was clear the big rains swept by me yet again. It was an hour long rain so nothing heavy to soak in, but I'll take what I can get! That is almost 1.75" for the month now in 5 rains...not exactly Florida weather. Today was a bright overcast, dewpoint 80F, temp hit 93F, heat index 110F...no rain. It is a perfect day for storms to form but nothing yet. Perhaps later? I've seen Citrus Park and Polk Co get killed. I am so jealous. June averages are 6.09" for my area, July 7.20", May 3.12"....my totals are under 4" total since late April but 1/2 fell in one hour in late May. Oh well, its gotta rain right? Greg arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh drool.gif

Greg, I think I am getting your share of the rain. 1.7 " yesterday here in Citrus Park. Total for the month now 7.7" with a 60% chance again today.

It has rained for three days now, and today is bright overcast, dark, muggy, rain appears on the way. 5.5" since Wed....like 2.5" since April to Wed! But, the cloudiness has made everything look lush again. Rain does so much good. :lol:

Living out here alone in the ocean :-) I can't speak for other places, but June has been the wettest in 7 years. But that's a joke if you look at the numbers.

Rain In Wai`anae, O`ahu

We have had more rain this year than last, but it's still dry which means I pay for water and not gas for the weed whacker and less for Round UP. :rolleyes:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

FEAST OR FAMINE! While I am typing this as another storm is finishing up, we have had about 9" of rain just since last Tuesday and barely a glimpse of that orb in the sky since then. It kind of came out today for a few peeks. I have zinnia seeds germinating inside spent flower heads! Mushrooms up in pots. Weeds everywhere. Just in a week. Now - let's see the Palms take off! Greg :rolleyes:

And now it is famine! Since it rained last Tuesday AM, not a drop. Did my sale at USF and a few showers but nothing here. Getting ready for the sale was pulling dead, rotted leaves from the bottom of the plants. Today, getting the hose out. Floriduh has outdone itself this summer season!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: