IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing 'hoffmannia'?

Donald Sanders

I collected seeds from a beautiful 'hoffmannia' in Brazil. I have researched this beautiful leaf plant on the Internet. Seeds are germinating and I was wondering if anyone has experience growing it.

Mahalo. Don

Donald Sanders

I collected seeds from a beautiful 'hoffmannia' in Brazil. I have researched this beautiful leaf plant on the Internet. Seeds are germinating and I was wondering if anyone has experience growing it.

Mahalo. Don

I have one and its a lovely plant. Likes bright light. The leaves are so pretty.

post-1009-12756486046304_thumb.jpg

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Whoa!!! It is a very NICE plant!! How big do they get?? Tree or shrub? It is almost nicer than Pentagonia...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Whoa!!! It is a very NICE plant!! How big do they get?? Tree or shrub? It is almost nicer than Pentagonia...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari,

I am not sure how big they get. I haven;t found a whole lot of data on them. That one in the photo is about 3 ft tall and seems to like to keep a pretty solitary stalk, I keep waiting for side shoots or new growth from the base. The leaves are knockout in the right light.

I keep thinking Trevor "Hoffmania" :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

In addition to the velvety top surface, the backside of the large leaves is deep burgundy. According to Luen, the owner of Monterey Bay Nursery, this plant can handle cool night temperature very well, and thus it should be a good low shrub for sheltered shady spots in SoCal. I am trying one myself but did not risk it outside last winter. It has stayed healthy and robust and is actively growing again.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

When you say 'cool' what do you mean numberwise?

I was working out in the greenhouse today and checked the base of my plant and low and behold I have new offshoots forming!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

It is "as long as it is not freezing", from 32F to 50F. Our soil temperature gets to that level during winter and that's a major roadblock for a lot of tropical/subtropical plants here in the Bay Area. Their roots do not know how to hibernate and just rot away even with the best draining soil outside.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

It is "as long as it is not freezing", from 32F to 50F. Our soil temperature gets to that level during winter and that's a major roadblock for a lot of tropical/subtropical plants here in the Bay Area. Their roots do not know how to hibernate and just rot away even with the best draining soil outside.

Okay so I will keep it in the GH for now til I get another specimen propagated from it and then trial it outside. I have learned that NOTHING is immune from me trialing it outside, since I planted two White Taccas outside and they have made it now through two winters with several nights of subfreezing temps. This last winter, here in town, we had THIRTEEN straight nights of temps below freezing, most of those into the lower 20's and one night to an almost record 17F. The days after also were cold cold cold, many times it did not rise above 45F. This is extremely unusual for here, there were weather records broken to smithereens all over the place.

My white taccas not only made it through that gauntlet in hibernation, but now they are up and leafed out and getting bloom size again. They bloomed last summer after freezing into dormancy the (relatively mild) winter before. I figure if a Tacca can make it, many others can also.