IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Macadamia Nut Trees

In Florida, Macadamia Trees do not grow well. In this case, this Florida Macadamia Tree is full of nuts, which I believe is unusual for South Florida:

P1020788.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

In Florida, Macadamia Trees do not grow well. In this case, this Florida Macadamia Tree is full of nuts, which I believe is unusual for South Florida:

P1020788.jpg

Thats a nice one.

Macs grow well in California. Even parts of central and North Ca.

Large ones can take low temps in the low 20's.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I think Macadamia grow all right here, although I have had limited experience. I think they just are not commercially viable crops. I think they need it a tad bit cooler.

The tree in the Arboretum sets fruit/seed every year, but we never get any as the squirrels always get them all.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Here is a pic of mine a couple of years ago. At night with a light on it... pretty nice looking.

I had to cut the tree way back as it was dropping nuts year round on my brand new truck.

Jeff

post-116-12754963839078_thumb.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

From my experience they grow well down here. We had one on our farm fruiting for 20 years until Hurricane Wilma took it out. there are several down south in HS that seem to do alright ar well.

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

One of the habitat stands of Macadamia nuts is located at Bauple which is south of Childers.

THere are a lot of Mac nuts being planted in the Childers area as an alternative to Sugar Cane.

Here a a few photos

childers709058.jpg

These are two year old trees which are part of a 3,000 acre (1,200ha) plantation, mac nuts as far as you can see

childers709059.jpg

These are four year old trees which have started production.

childers709056.jpg

More two year old trees.

childers709055.jpg

This shows a newly planted ochard next to an existing sugar crop and also cane mulch being raked for baling

This is a couple of km down the road from one of our farms there.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

I have seen nuts on a few small trees up here .

Also excellent crops up on the tablelands .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

They grow like weeds in the upper valley here. Never thought of trying one down here as If i want nuts I go up and pick till I can't carry any more. They don't need a chill as it never gets lower than 60 up there.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

They are part of the Proteacea family related to Banksia's and South African Protea's, but they grow in tropical and sub-tropical mountain areas naturally. They don't mind cool weather either. I'm trying to grow some from seed.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I lopped of mine after 4 years in the ground. I bought it from Home Depot for $20. This thing grew pretty fast (about 8ft by 4ft from a 3 footer). I just don't like the hard to decay leaves and Jubea-like nuts everywhere. The nuts would be great for sling shots.

We had one growing here for 12 years and it never fruited so last year it met the chainsaw.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).