IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe indica

Surf Guy

Here are a few pix of my red form Hyophorbe indica. I have never seen one of these in anyone's garden. I am planning on planting it real soon. Has anyone had any experiences with this palm in So Cal? I have read that it will eventually turn green. Nice color when young though.

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

very fast growers in my experience but were some of the 1st things to die in the '07 freeze.

there were a few large specimens in the SD zoo (at the end of tortoise area behind reptile house) that were seeding but 1 has been removed.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

This one has been growing outside for about one year. We did have a mild winter though. I will plant it and hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

i have planted more since the freeze & i noticed that the ones getting the most sun are larger.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have one a little larger...Planted it last year and has been burnt ever since...it needs protection from direct sun at that young stage...Mine grows nicely and will push new leaves out, then once they open they get fried shortly after that...mine will to be moved to a better(Shady) location one day...

There is a very large tree growing in San Clemente about 10 miles from the coast...

Plant it in shade if you can...or you will have a Hydrophorbe indica Brown Var.

Surf guy, definetley put it in a hot spot, and it should reward you. I have a few up here in Santa Barbara that I planted in 07, after the freeze. They have done great, in the hot spot of the yard, and have been pretty moderate growers. I am amazed that they have grown so much over the last few years. :winkie:

Surf guy, definetley put it in a hot spot, and it should reward you. I have a few up here in Santa Barbara that I planted in 07, after the freeze. They have done great, in the hot spot of the yard, and have been pretty moderate growers. I am amazed that they have grown so much over the last few years. :winkie:

This contradicts J1MP, but were talking Santa Barbara vs Orange-San Diego county here. A bit colder up in these neck of the woods.

I have one a little larger...Planted it last year and has been burnt ever since...it needs protection from direct sun at that young stage...Mine grows nicely and will push new leaves out, then once they open they get fried shortly after that...mine will to be moved to a better(Shady) location one day...

There is a very large tree growing in San Clemente about 10 miles from the coast...

I have two green indica seedlings which I have had growing in full sun with no issues.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Surf Guy at least give your tree a buddy to shade it for the next year...Its small enough to put a 5 gal kentia over it and let it provide some protection...The tree only carries 3-5 leaves at best when its young so if any get burned your sol...

The flash makes my tree look much more green....

post-4259-12753641728253_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12753642572312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just1MorePalm
  • Upvote 1

Very fast growers. Mine are trunking now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have two green indica seedlings which I have had growing in full sun with no issues.

Mike - do you think this species will be a long term survivor for you?

I'm just curious, because our climates are very, very similar, although you would get more rain.

What other marginal species have you had luck with?

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hurry up and produce seeds then...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mike - do you think this species will be a long term survivor for you?

I'm just curious, because our climates are very, very similar, although you would get more rain.

What other marginal species have you had luck with?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan, yes I am fairly confident H indica will be ok here. Firstly I don't get frosts plus the sunshine hours are reasonable. The main challange for me will be keeping the roots dry enough in winter so they don't "shiver". They are in pots at present so it's easy to keep them dry but when they are eventually planted that will be a different story. I'm also going to try a Dypsis lutescens which will have the same challenges but these palms grow like weeds in the summer and are cheap to buy so it's easy to experiment with these.

I have an A alexandrae in the ground which is into it's second winter with no problems so far. The success i've had with this palm has encouraged me try other marginal palms. We'll see how it goes with the Hyophorbe and Dypsis then hopefully try something else!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Best regards

Tyrone

Hurry up and produce seeds then...

Regards, Ari :)

I'm trying I'm trying. :D

Well mine came from RPS as seeds in May 2005. One now has about 5 rings and would be 4m tall. It motors through winter and chases the Foxy Ladies although it will never catch them. They are way too fast, although they started in the ground at a different stage to the Red Indicas. My thoughts are to get these in the ground as soon as possible and let them emerge into the sun themselves. Taking them from shade and putting them in full summer sun will destroy these. They must emerge by themselves with a full root system.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Although this is in South Florida, mine never carries more than 5 fronds.

Randy :D

post-1035-12753963617888_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like I should put it in filtered or half day sun here in So Cal. I am about 3.5 miles to the coast so some sun should not hurt it. I may plant it in an area where it will be in full shade for the winter. What to do, what to do.........I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I lost a couple in the 07 freeze including the green form. I planted a couple more after that and have found that the one with protection from the afternoon sun is doing the best. I put one in full sun and it always looks bad, it will probably get pulled from the team very soon.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

Mike:

They're the most reliable of the Hyophorbes in our climate, but I've found them VERY sensitive to too much sun too early.

I once lost 25 of them that way; they fell over and died. They seemed to do better in the shade growing up into the sun.

Keep us apprized whatever you do. Us voyeurs are agog!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I dont know what to do myself now. I've had my seedlings in full sun for quite some time and they seem to be ok. Best in the shade then?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Mike if they're doing fine leave them in the sun, but I think NZ sun is a whole lot different to West Oz or So Cal sun. They are fine to about 38C in full sun, but every degree past 38C the damage becomes exponential. Do you get that hot??

Best regards

Tyrone

No, nowhere near those temps. We would have 30 here on a couple of occasions during summer with UV index of 11 or 12.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa