IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Cup 2010

PalmsZA

SWC 2010  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win is South Africa

• South Africa
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • England
    • Germany
    • U.S.A
    • S.Korea
    • Holland
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
    • Mexico
    • Italy
    • Ghana
    • Ivory Coast
    • Nigeria
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Paraguay
    • France
    • Japan

North Korea the weakest team of the cup, but doesn't matter, great game to watch with loads of goals! :drool:

The goal from Ronaldo, was fun! :mrlooney:

Only Portugal showed their weakness, so far... :)

And we must see the other side, the winner...

• Upvote 1

Brasil 3 to 1, qualified for the next round.

dk

handballed twice I think in one of the Brazilian goals, how did the ref miss that ? :unsure:

Well Wal, stranger things have happened.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bafana played well, soooo close to winning that one!

Wow Dennis...I rooted so much for the bafana here...when they scored the first goal I've heard you almost swallowed your vuvuzela... :lol: Your work mates look like they're ready to scream for Brazil against Portugal in Durban...

This afternoon all the cardiologic centers will have double work here in Brazil...Let's see the secret weapons North Korea is preparing for us... :unsure:

Hi uncle G

My vuvu got good service on friday night! Was a great game! Sooo close to 2 1.

Yes our bafana colours can double up for Brazil, we just change the badge! :-)

I reckon it will be an easy one for your boys...I hope!

Portugal just drew with IC! Wow...

Cheers and good luck Brazil!!!

SEVEN-ZERO - WOW!!!!!!! :floor:

Edited by rafael

Seven goals, holy smoke, I didn't see it, what happened ? only one team turn up ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

North Korea the weakest team of the cup, but doesn't matter, great game to watch with loads of goals! :drool:

The goal from Ronaldo, was fun! :mrlooney:

Only Portugal showed their weakness, so far... :)

And we must see the other side, the winner...

Jup that's right. Against Brazil, North Korea wasn't play football and only defending. Against Portugal they had to give some space because they need there points, Portugal has used the space very well and show the world that if the want to play football they are the weakest team from this world cup.

Lots of big football country has some problems with this, look to Spain that was playing against an only defending red/white, or Italy the first game (The second was simply to awfull from Italian side), or watch the games from Holland against an only defending Denmark or Japan...

Portugal used this room very well, and I think that we will see better games in the next round when also the more defending teams have to play some football because if they don't they can go to home ;)

Southwest

Today it starts the series of the goodbye parties for the first 16 teams... Allez South Africa !!!

The World Cup became a big social event in most countries lately. Since the football quality level is much worse now than it was 25 years ago, I guess FIFA is actually happy with the polemics with blind referees' performances to keep the general interest in the show...too bad they won't allow the nicelooking girls from Holland to wear their orange mini-dresses in the Arenas anymore...commercial reasons, as usual... :mrlooney:

Great matches ahead this week anyway...There's an old traditional saying here mentioning that "God is Brazilian"...Let's see if the portuguese team will agree with this saying next friday... :lol:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

France out !

Aussies still in with a slim chance....

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

France out !

France... Well I was saying before the cup already that France not going to make it and get go to home early, so I got my bonuspoints for the football poule on the internet. :drool:

Southwest

About portugal, don't want to see them very soon please? The last two times when we played against them, we have to got home again... Who is remembering the world cup in 2006 in Germany? Holland against Portugal, new record 16 yellow cards and 4 red ones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXq7xcnkis&feature=player_embedded

I think we will meet Italy first in the next round, and with some good forecastst where some good heat is pushing up our way, that will be a great game under the sun with some cool beers :rolleyes:

And yes we can win from Italy, we have seen that 2 years ago on the european cup :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNpKKg1IQjM Part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxsFH9ogddg&feature=related Part two

Same game but then shorter, and with a crazy comments :mrlooney:

Southwest

France out !

France... Well I was saying before the cup already that France not going to make it and get go to home early, so I got my bonuspoints for the football poule on the internet. :drool:

not need to be a soothsayer to say that France was not going to pass the first round, I said too, watching the down into hell since 2006.:(

spain will get the cup.

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

France out !

not need to be a soothsayer to say that France was not going to pass the first round, I said too, watching the down into hell since 2006.:(

spain will get the cup.

Terrible lack of fairplay from the french coach Domenech after the game with South Africa, refusing to shake hands with SA coach....The image of Les Bleus was unfortunetly hurt badly in this last melancholic match...

Fantastic reaction of US team in the last minute...at least some justice was made after so many referees mistakes with the americans.

Let's see what happens to the favourite Germany this afternoon... :mrlooney:

On a shot from Altidore, Landon Donovan puts in the rebound in the 91's minute! United States Advances to the round of 16 in the 2010 world cup. Crying tears of JOY! FANTASTIC day for U.S. Soccer!!!! USA! USA! USA! Vamos Estados Unidos!!!!!

On a shot from Altidore, Landon Donovan puts in the rebound in the 91's minute! United States Advances to the round of 16 in the 2010 world cup. Crying tears of JOY! FANTASTIC day for U.S. Soccer!!!! USA! USA! USA! Vamos Estados Unidos!!!!!

:greenthumb:

Lamenting that huge 0 - 4 first match.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Terrible lack of fairplay from the french coach Domenech after the game with South Africa, refusing to shake hands with SA coach....The image of Les Bleus was unfortunetly hurt badly in this last melancholic match...

Let's see what happens to the favourite Germany this afternoon... :mrlooney:

yes we are ashamed, Domenech the guy who sank the frech team with the blessing of the federation fortunately goes, phew

bravo OZ, great match, sorry to the third place

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

We had a big crowd going bonkers in the U.S. game today! (And, whew, Germany won so we don't have to play them...)

So what do you think, can Côte d'Ivoire beat N. Korea 9-0 and make up the goal differential with Portugal? Will Italy be able to score without diving in the box? Will the Sarkozy-Henry summit save French football? And more seriously--can Spain get by a really good Chile team into the next round?

All I know is....I would not want to be a French footballer getting off that plane in France....

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Landon Donovan, one of my fav players in football, great name, great player.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We had a big crowd going bonkers in the U.S. game today! (And, whew, Germany won so we don't have to play them...)

So what do you think, can Côte d'Ivoire beat N. Korea 9-0 and make up the goal differential with Portugal? Will Italy be able to score without diving in the box? Will the Sarkozy-Henry summit save French football? And more seriously--can Spain get by a really good Chile team into the next round?

All I know is....I would not want to be a French footballer getting off that plane in France....

First time that the United States has won their group in 80 years. The matches are only going to get tougher! laugh.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi All

So Bafana got their marching orders! We still happy campers here though, enjoying the games and supporting our 2nd picks!

I really loved the German away strip! I am going to order one for myself. German vs England, its going to be WWIII on Sunday!

Well done to all the other teams that have qualified already!

Cheers for now

Dennis

PS Uncle G: Big game in Durban tomorrow, weather is looking great at 26c. Good thing for Brazil is that the Portuguese can only score goals in the rain! :mrlooney:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hi All

So Bafana got their marching orders! We still happy campers here though, enjoying the games and supporting our 2nd picks!

I really loved the German away strip! I am going to order one for myself. German vs England, its going to be WWIII on Sunday!

Well done to all the other teams that have qualified already!

Cheers for now

Dennis

PS Uncle G: Big game in Durban tomorrow, weather is looking great at 26c. Good thing for Brazil is that the Portuguese can only score goals in the rain! :mrlooney:

I know it is hard... :D

A great match full of excitement and fighting spirit: Slovakia beats reigning world champion Italy 3-2, a well deserved win for the Slovaks

Italy is out and Slovakia maybe plays Holland in the knock out phase?????????????????

Congrats Jan and see you on Monday???????????????

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Yeah Slovakia against Holland the next round ;)

Way to go for the USA! Also still my congrats to NZ, with that small country with only 25 prof players, first time on a world cup and in 3 matches not one losed!

Southwest

A great match full of excitement and fighting spirit: Slovakia beats reigning world champion Italy 3-2, a well deserved win for the Slovaks

Italy is out and Slovakia maybe plays Holland in the knock out phase?????????????????

Congrats to you Charles too. Italy was a piece of cake (just kidding) and now we're going to eliminate the Oranje (still kidding).

Now let's be realistic: the quality is on your side and you're one of the candidates for the gold while we've reached our limits by qualifying for the WC. Getting in the 16 teams round is an extra bonus for us. Now we have nothing to lose, we can only surprise :winkie:

Even if we lose, I hope for a great game!

All the best, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Well don't be shy, Italy is playing like crap too! If New Zealand can get a drew against Italy... Come on and beat those Italian!

Robin, they did what you told them to do and beat those Italians :winkie:

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Where were you watching? I was at Evening Star Cafe here in Del Ray where I live. We had about 35 people watching there, which is ALOT for a weekday morning at 10am.

One thing is for sure. We will see a NEW world cup champion this year, as Italy has been knocked out by Slovakia. Italy did not look good all tournament, and did not deserve to move forward.

Suffice it to say, pretty much ALL bars are going to have insane crowds for the next match, given that it is on a Saturday at 2PM. Where will you be watching?

Brasil-Portugal, bad referee, he did not want to see the brasilian player using his hand, it was a clear penalty.

Portugal, 3 games, 0 goals against.

AHA!

Home, with a load of soccer players coming over!

The yard project is paying dividends--have a great outdoor spot for hosting a party for the game. In the fall, I put corrugated polycarbonate panels under a long East-facing deck, and it stays relatively cool in the shade there and the screen is easy to see. TV goes on the table next to the fan, and I brought in some more benches for the Sat. game. Forecast is 93F and the game starts 2:30pm here, but we should still be fine!

Nobody will notice they're sitting next to 3 T. wagnerianus, but that's OK!

post-763-12774815925357_thumb.jpg

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Congrats to you Charles too. Italy was a piece of cake (just kidding) and now we're going to eliminate the Oranje (still kidding).

Now let's be realistic: the quality is on your side and you're one of the candidates for the gold while we've reached our limits by qualifying for the WC. Getting in the 16 teams round is an extra bonus for us. Now we have nothing to lose, we can only surprise :winkie:

All the best, Jan

Such a relief for Brazil to see the four star pieces of cake alternating tragedy and drama against Slovakia in the best and most thrilling match in this Cup so far...I bet the beer production will double for the weekend during the battle of the Jans... :lol:

I'd love to join Mark NoVA's party next sunday too..., an eye with the game and the other on his T. Wags...I'll be rooting for Wal Donovan to score many palms (oops) goals in Ghana. It's about time to welcome back US team (and crowds) to the top of the sports. With Mexico and US still strong on the boat, the World Cup now looks like the Copa America with a few other invited guests... :)

Nice regional killer classic matches ahead: Germ X Engl, Arg X Mex, Port X Spain, Bra X Chile...Coach Dunga had his strange dream finally come true, of winning the group by playing a weird Switzerland style defensive lock tactics, against low inspired Portugal this afternoon...I wish the patrícios a better luck with the spanish team...

All the best, Jan

Such a relief for Brazil to see the four star pieces of cake alternating tragedy and drama against Slovakia in the best and most thrilling match in this Cup so far...I bet the beer production will double for the weekend during the battle of the Jans... :lol:

I'd love to join Mark NoVA's party next sunday too..., an eye with the game and the other on his T. Wags...I'll be rooting for Wal Donovan to score many palms (oops) goals in Ghana. It's about time to welcome back US team (and crowds) to the top of the sports. With Mexico and US still strong on the boat, the World Cup now looks like the Copa America with a few other invited guests... :)

Nice regional killer classic matches ahead: Germ X Engl, Arg X Mex, Port X Spain, Bra X Chile...Coach Dunga had his strange dream finally come true, of winning the group by playing a weird Switzerland style defensive lock tactics, against low inspired Portugal this afternoon...I wish the patrícios a better luck with the spanish team...

Less inspired than against North Korea, but could and should have won.

The referee... :angry: !

Gileno, I'm looking forward to the Brazil : Slovakia quoter final match assuming you get by Chile :winkie:

What a boring game between Brasil and Portugal, hope to see more of Ronaldo's quality because till know i'm defitnely not impressed and my expectations where quite high about him, he is the star from Portugal at the moment.

Today the first matches of the next round, I guess Uruguay and hopefully the USA will go a round further.

Southwest

Well don't be shy, Italy is playing like crap too! If New Zealand can get a drew against Italy... Come on and beat those Italian!

Robin, they did what you told them to do and beat those Italians :winkie:

Yeah. They cost me some points in my WK poule over here but Italy was so bad they even don't deserve to go a round further.

Holland against Slovakia, what do you think? :mrlooney:

Southwest

What a boring game between Brasil and Portugal, hope to see more of Ronaldo's quality because till know i'm defitnely not impressed and my expectations where quite high about him, he is the star from Portugal at the moment.

Today the first matches of the next round, I guess Uruguay and hopefully the USA will go a round further.

Brasilien players were always forgiven by the referee.

Against Ivory Coast, the same, the referee was blind.

It turns things dificult to a player like Ronaldo. We have to protect the better players. As it have been happening with Messi, Villa, Robben.

Ronaldo have been played in a collective way, and he is doing fine.

Portugal is ready. 3 goals against in 23 games.

Since Brazil and Portugal have a special relationship, after all Rio was the capital of Portugal at one time. it was interesting to watch the news here before the game. To many the tie satifactory result in spite of Brazil not playing up to expectations.

What people here want to see is a final between Brazil and Argentina.

A story about the Portuguese fans in Brazil, for those who read the language.

Portuguese in Brazil for the game

The game on the beach in Rio. Game days sure do mess up the work day.

Brasil x Portugal in Rio

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bad luck USA, you should be proud of your efforts, Ghana goes alone for Africa.

Did you see Mick Jagger with Bill Clinton in the stands ?, now apart from being football supporters, what would these two have in common ? Please don't answer here.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.