IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Cup 2010

PalmsZA

SWC 2010  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win is South Africa

• South Africa
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • England
    • Germany
    • U.S.A
    • S.Korea
    • Holland
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
    • Mexico
    • Italy
    • Ghana
    • Ivory Coast
    • Nigeria
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Paraguay
    • France
    • Japan

Congrats Robbin...sniff...

It was difficult to recognize the brazilian team in the second half.

See you in Recife again in 2014... :)

Ah uncle G! What a pity. Its the blue shirts for sure! I drew Brazil from the work gambling pot. Thought my money was already in the bank and I had some nice new palms lined up.

Well done Nederland....

Now its time for Germany and Ghana...

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Thanks! I'm Soooo happy! Predicted 2-1 before, sooo got some good points there! :)

Ok, I have to say after the first half the score had some possibilities to be higher for brasil, thanks to the goalkeeper. The second half way better, en finally got our deserve for the next round. Btw, do you have seen the new dutch corner? Man that was weird... :unsure:

See you in 2014, and now going to the city to celebrate this victory! :) Can't wait for the next game! :)

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Ole,Ole,Ole.......we are the......(not yet)

Next stop Uruguay or Ghana

Another weak referee though definitely anti Dutch even though he did send Melo off, too many attacks on our golden wonder boy Robben were tolerated

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Congrats Robbin...sniff...

It was difficult to recognize the brazilian team in the second half.

See you in Recife again in 2014... :)

Or maybe in Manaus.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I was supporting Brazil,but now this happened.... ORANJE BOVEN!...ORANJE BOVEN! Hup! hup! Holland!!!!:D

I final game with Argentina will be fine,and ....tegen de moffen......also fine. In which year the final game was against Germany and the Netherlands where second...??? Revenge!!! :D

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

That was heartbreaking for Ghana this morning. That Uruguay hand ball should have constituted a penalty goal awarded automatically imo. I know they don't have that as a rule, another fault in the system imo.

Go Germany tonight !

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

For the people who like the see some youtube movies after the victory on Brasil..

City Einhoven. Charles I found the Bavaria babes, look at bit before minute 3.00. Movie interesting from 2 minutes.

Rotterdam! ->

Utrecht ->

And amsterdam, we still love brazilian music listen from 1.30 minutes and further ;)

Can't wait till tuesday and hopefully we win that game to! :) First Argentina against Germany this afternoon :)

Robbin

Southwest

That was heartbreaking for Ghana this morning. That Uruguay hand ball should have constituted a penalty goal awarded automatically imo. I know they don't have that as a rule, another fault in the system imo.

Go Germany tonight !

Agree! I forecasted in my WK bet (gamble) or how do you describe that a final Netherlands - Spain but a final Holland against germany would be great one to! :)

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Upvote 1

Southwest

Go Germany tonight !

Agree! I forecasted in my WK bet (gamble) or how do you describe that a final Netherlands - Spain but a final Holland against germany would be great one to! :)

Robbin

Dear Robbin,in that case it would be called as all european finals...:hmm:

But as i told before,let the best playing team win !

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Brilliant playing by the Germans, steamrolling over Argentina 4-0!!!!!!!!!

I am getting scared Robbin, will they make sauerkraut of Sneijder & Robben?

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Here in Brazil the Germans were the overwhelming favorites. And, the favorite won.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

And now the 4 zip to Australia by Germany doesn't look so bad after all. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A little input from Brazil. Maradona world cup

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Germany looks real tough. wink.gif

The Netherlands have made an impressive showing as well! rolleyes.gif

Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

The Netherlands have made an impressive showing as well!

The Netherlands are in the final again.....after 32 years

Uruguay put up a good fight but Sneijder and Robben scored the decisive goals after van Bronckhorst opened the score with a magnificent shot from 30 meter

Final match on Sunday against Germany or Spain

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Whoooohooooo complete crazy here, celebrating reaching the final. Hopefully we can do it sunday again with many many more people on the street, if there are possibilities for more because so many people where watching already!

Going to have some nice drinks again in the city now :)

Southwest

I'm predicting a Dutch/Germany showdown, with the Dutch pulling it out. At least I'm rooting for the Dutch to win it all!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

See boys, I told you our Dutch coach was a saboteur !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Congrats to Nederland!

I liked the way how Sneijder and Kuyt played. I think they both have all the attributes which a top class footballer should posses. I am disappointed with Robben despite the goal he scored which was his only bright moment. I think he'd make more money in Hollywood. The goals by van Bronckhorst and Forlan were stunning.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. I think we're going to end up with the Nederland vs. Germany final. If Nederland wins, I will say "We (Slovakia) eliminated the last world champions (Italy) and got eliminated by the next world champions (Dutch)" :mrlooney:

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Yip Germany all the way tonight.

I think they will also burst the orange bubble come sunday! :rolleyes:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Well I'm not much of a football fan, but the hills around here have just come alive. Like a sonic, Mexican wave travelling for miles! If Nadal wins Wimbledon and Spain pull off their first world cup victory, that'll be quite an event for Spain. A lot of Dutch living down here on the south coast, so it will be an entertaining final!

John,

I bet there will be a lot of celebration tonight in Spain. And, hang overs tomorrow.

dk

• Upvote 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

whoooohooooo Netherlands against Spain in the final just like I predicted before the world cup started, too bad I don't have do a bet this world cup :P

Sunday would be great, no matter what the result would be, but I hope we will be the world champion for the first time in history! COME ON Dutch Orange Lions, make us proud! Even more then we already are!

Going to Rotterdam sunday, and can't wait.. the first nervous feelings are already here. No one else can talk about something else, everything is going over the World cup! The netherlands would be down coming sunday, and when we win also a few days that week after it I guess :P

Southwest

Arriba Espana!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hup Holland Hup!!!!!!!

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

In today's morning daily i saw photographs of Paul,yes the most famous prediction giving octopus..:D

It stated that germany will win urugway,and spain win holland !

If these prediction come true,i would bow my head to that creature,who's life now rests in the hands of crazy german football fan's who are bent on roasting it up and eat it.

Funny thing is all want to see only successes and no failures....This is indeed a crazy world.:hmm:

Since when two or more teams play game,certainly all the teams can't win.:blink:

And hypothetically speaking if all the new predictions fail,then what ? :mrlooney:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Well octopus Paul has de European cup final wrong 2 years ago and a bird from singapore says the Netherlands will win... Crazy world :blink:

I don't care what the animals says, only a bit more then a day to go for the big moment. Going to watch in Rotterdam om a very big screen with many more people. The last game has been watched trough more then 75% of the people that living in the Netherlands.

If the win the world cup, then there would be a homage in Amsterdam on Tuesday when that's happening they do expect more then a million people going to Amsterdam. :huh:

First, play the game please... can't wait any longer anymore!

• Upvote 1

Southwest

It will be a fantastic game to watch tomorrow afternoon. Most teams in this world cup show up a completely different football each time they play...who would expect Germany to perform so horribly against Spain for the semi-final?

I guess I'll cook octopus and rice for dinner tomorrow, just in case... :D

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

I guess I'll cook octopus and rice for dinner tomorrow, just in case... :D

Gileno while you are having "arroz de polvo" I will have "patat met mayonnaise" :D

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Well it is over for Nederland..... another loss in the finals( d#$%m octopus!)

Spain was the better team overall and could only be stopped with violations..... seven yellow cards for Nederland plus one red card :rage:

Congrats for Espana world champion for four years :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

AAAAHHHHH!!!!! No more World Cup for 4 years!!! What am I going to do???

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Well it is over for Nederland..... another loss in the finals( d#$%m octopus!)

Spain was the better team overall and could only be stopped with violations..... seven yellow cards for Nederland plus one red card :rage:

Congrats for Espana world champion for four years :greenthumb:

Netherlands should have had another red card in my opinion. Good on you Spain, not only the better team, but the cleaner team.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I suppose paul was right even this time,and hope germany will use his expertise to forecast their fast approaching chancellor ellection..:D

And glad that spain has not disappointed most of us...:) And by the way i have observed that the match refree's of all the played matches did behave negatively in the intreast of few teams & some players ? :angry:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Don't agree with the cards for the neterlands if you look to the same things happens from Spanish side. The first card for Heitinga as example, the same thing happen also on the spanish side with no yellow as result, otherwise the karate kick from De Jong should be red but the kick from Iniesta against Van Bommel not?. Where was our corner? and the goal with a bit of offside? Spain got some good changes but Robben has to score to...

Second place is quite good? Yes for a such small country as ours, am I happy? No defitnely not, we where so close! Can I think to the european cup over 2 years? No, defitnely not this need some time for sure :(

Well after all, it's hard to say, it was a painfull night, with many tears but after 120 minutes Spain was the better team so my Congrats to Spain. European and a World Champion!

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Upvote 1

Southwest

And after all, proud to be a dutch! :drool:

Not to forget we won the "Tachtigjarige Oorlog" (the Eighty Years War 1568-1648) with Spain, surely a thing to be proud of as well!!!

The referee was definitely anti Dutch (or half blind) that corner could have saved us, and a red card for Puyol for holding Robben would have been decisive as well :rant:

Still Spain was the better team overall

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Don't agree with the cards for the neterlands if you look to the same things happens from Spanish side. The first card for Heitinga as example, the same thing happen also on the spanish side with no yellow as result, otherwise the karate kick from De Jong should be red but the kick from Iniesta against Van Bommel not?. Where was our corner? and the goal with a bit of offside? Spain got some good changes but Robben has to score to...

Second place is quite good? Yes for a such small country as ours, am I happy? No defitnely not, we where so close! Can I think to the european cup over 2 years? No, defitnely not this need some time for sure :(

Well after all, it's hard to say, it was a painfull night, with many tears but after 120 minutes Spain was the better team so my Congrats to Spain. European and a World Champion!

I understand your sorrow Robbin and Charles...I remember when I was much younger, back in 1982 when Brazil had an incredible team, with Zico, Falcão and Socrates...thought to be unbeatable...and then, from the ashes, there came the horrible team of Italy and Paolo Rossi scored 3 goals and took the trophy from our hands...it took me many years to recover from that drama...but anyway, life continues...and I'm sure Holland will be a strong candidate for the (vice)championship again in Brazil in 2014...haha :D . Congratulations anyway...

Here's a teaser short video for the World Cup 2014: Why don't you all plan to come?

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/multimidia/videocasts/765290-fernando-meirelles-assina-video-para-atrair-turistas-na-copa-2014.shtml

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

As a person with undying faith in the Octopus, I didnt watch the last game, as I had been told who would win. Viva Espana.

Sorry cloghoppers.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Here's a teaser short video for the World Cup 2014: Why don't you all plan to come?

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/multimidia/videocasts/765290-fernando-meirelles-assina-video-para-atrair-turistas-na-copa-2014.shtml

They were showing a modified version of that commercial several times on the post-game show of the final here.

My friends and I are all saying, Wow, the World Cup in BRAZIL, how great would that be to visit?

That will be one of the most popular World Cups ever to visit. Hope I can make it! (And that it won't cost a small fortune!)

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2