IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Cup 2010

PalmsZA

SWC 2010  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win is South Africa

• South Africa
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • England
    • Germany
    • U.S.A
    • S.Korea
    • Holland
    • Brazil
    • Argentina
    • Mexico
    • Italy
    • Ghana
    • Ivory Coast
    • Nigeria
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Paraguay
    • France
    • Japan

Hi all

So kick-off is next week friday! :drool:

Cant wait.

I hope SA does well, making the quarters would be great! My first choice for the cup - Germany! Then Spain... Oh wait make that Argentina or Brazil. :blink::blink::blink: So many great teams on the way I am confused!

Cheers

Dennis

PS: Had to limit the selection to 20 choices...so I picked the most likely. A

Edited by PalmsZA

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis you might want to change the poll title! Unless that is a subliminal voting suggestion? huh.gif "Who is going to win is South Africa"? laugh.gif

Thanks John.....the bloomin bugger wont let me change it!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I'll bet my pure Encephalartos woodi seeds here for South Africa to become the champ...unless Parreira asks the guys to obey FIFA orders again and Nike covers the bet... :rolleyes:

TV shows here are continuously broadcasting reports from South Africa for the last 2-3 weeks...they're even going to host all TV news live directly from JoBourg daily, starting next week. We've probably seen every corner of ZA so far, except maybe Dennis' backyard in Durban...but it may be shown in the next few days as well... :D:D Where did I put my new trumpet bafana vuvuzela??

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Dennis you might want to change the poll title! Unless that is a subliminal voting suggestion? huh.gif "Who is going to win is South Africa"? laugh.gif

:floor:

PORTUGAL!!!I HOPE!!! :drool:

Edited by rafael

I voted for 'Murka, heaven help me . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm rooting for the land of my favorite palms, the Attaleas, Syagrus, Butias, Allagopteras, and home of the Gilenos, Dons, etc. Meaning I am a severely soccer ignoramus.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Hi Guys

Uncle G: :D Haha that will be the day! I had some Brazilian reporters at my place on the weekend. They kept asking me if they were safe from the "Big 5" in my garden! I assured them that the only thing that is likely to attack them is a rabid monkey or a raggertooth mole! :floor:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I picked Argentina only because my business partners are Argentinean and I don't want to listen to them cry all month if Argentina gets taken out early. I sure hope these guys don't show up with handbags again. :D

30ljq7c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

My vote for Brazil was not hard to come to. The streets here are getting painted in yellow and green in many areas and new decorations are sprouting up everyday. People here love an excuse not to work anyway and nothing better than when Brazil plays in a world cup game. The country comes to a standstill. Here in Manaus as I imagine in other Brazilian cities that will host the 2014 games the big game is the politicians jokeying to spend all the money that will come in, before it does. As Gileno said we get daily doses of the world cup as it occupies ever greater percentages of air time.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hollandico!! Well a dream? or not? Many great teams and countries to like spain, somehow I don't be afraid for Brazil or Argentinie anymore.. they are not better then a Spain in my thoughts.

What i do know that there will be not one orange wave like there was with the EK in Basel where because the savety and specially to get there and live there it would cost more then 2000 euro. Many people find that too much in this crisis time, but the orange crazy stuff and everything are getting more populair with the day, television, radio, internet everywhere...

By an orange head, or orange spray, orange toiletpaper, orange dessert... :mrlooney:

Going to be nice 3 orange parties for sure!

Southwest

Hollandico!! Well a dream? or not? Many great teams and countries to like spain, somehow I don't be afraid for Brazil or Argentinie anymore.. they are not better then a Spain in my thoughts.

What i do know that there will be not one orange wave like there was with the EK in Basel where because the savety and specially to get there and live there it would cost more then 2000 euro. Many people find that too much in this crisis time, but the orange crazy stuff and everything are getting more populair with the day, television, radio, internet everywhere...

By an orange head, or orange spray, orange toiletpaper, orange dessert... :mrlooney:

Going to be nice 3 orange parties for sure!

You mentioned orange & Cup..........Go Flyers! :D Oooops, wrong cup.

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Nee Robbin. jy kon in my huis kom slaap man! Ek het plek vir julle! Of sal jy meer gelukkig in die tuin wees met al die mooi plante? :mrlooney:

Yes there are some safety issues but you just need to know what areas to stay away from.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Nee Robbin. jy kon in my huis kom slaap man! Ek het plek vir julle! Of sal jy meer gelukkig in die tuin wees met al die mooi plante? :mrlooney:

Yes there are some safety issues but you just need to know what areas to stay away from.

Wow...before this World Cup gets to the final, I'll probably be fluent in Xhosa and Afrikaans for sure...How do we say HexaChampion in Zulu anyway?? :rolleyes:

If I was going to attend the matches, I'd have to stay away from the Cycad nurseries, for my credit card safety reasons... :mrlooney:

Hey Robbin, here in Brazil we'd love to taste some orange juice for the semi finals...haha :winkie:

Yeap Dennis...with all the "big five" playing freely in your backyard...how nice...and you even invited me to camp outside there...that would be the trip of a lifetime... :lol: ...much more exciting than a boat ride to the Gaza strip...

Our "big five" from Brazil are the defense guys in fact...one of them called Lúcio, plays football in the Rhino style, you know... :):)

Hey guys did you vote out of patriotism or do you really believe it? when I see: South africa, Japan, USA, OZ, :floor: and even France, :badday: it makes me laugh enough. No, No, it will be Spain ! :D

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Hi all

Uncle G: yes maybe a good thing you stay back home.

I picked up some nice Enc the other day. Got 3 lehmanii, 1 princeps and a tri for about $80.

Getting some blue longifolius on monday!

The back yard is feeling the chill at the moment, would have to put you guys up in the front, a deg or two warmer.

Back to the soccer: SA beat Denmark yesterday! Maybe it will be a Brazil SA final!

Ok back to reality.....

Cheers for now

Hambanikhagle!!!

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Even i feel that Spain will win...

And there is lots of hype on the regional musical trumpets that is being used to cheer the winning side...:hmm:

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And there is lots of hype on the regional musical trumpets that is being used to cheer the winning side...:hmm:

Love,

Yes Kris. That's the vuvuzela! Its a noisy piece of work!

• Upvote 1

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Don't like the vuvuzela, very annoying after a while. Loads of shops here have now orange actions from small to big actions, like in the supermarket to televisions and that kind of stuff. There are some shops where you can get an orange vuvuzela for free when you buy something. We got one too here, but after using it a couple times so far, naa it's not something for me..

Streets turning orange already and again, a few days left before the world cup parties started! :drool:

Here is a picture from Basel, last European cup where the City was turning orange and only orange and feels like a small Netherlands nation. Guess this will be not seeing in South Africa this time because several reasons, but whole cities over here would going to change orange from people during the games for sure!

280355261_5_L1Ls.jpeg

280355260_5_d4Ad.jpeg

280353279_5_1IFW.jpeg

Robbin

Southwest

Love,

Yes Kris. That's the vuvuzela! Its a noisy piece of work!

Thanks for the name,i could not pronounce it properly...But that's all part of the game & Zulu tribe tradition.They say it sounds like 100 elephants trumpeting.But to me it sounds like a bunch of bees/wasp harping around thy ears ? :hmm:

And mobile giant Nokia has placed big sized Vuvuzela's outside the stadium which is a electrical compression based unit,which a nokia mobile user can call up a number if he or she wants to honk that instrument during the hours of the football match.

And may the best playing team win...:greenthumb:

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris - try Voo voo zeh lah!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hey guys did you vote out of patriotism or do you really believe it? when I see: South africa, Japan, USA, OZ, :floor: and even France, :badday: it makes me laugh enough. No, No, it will be Spain ! :D

Slum dog millionaire baby, "it is written"

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

What would be the WK song 2010 for us? Not a really world song but it's all going about the fun, just watched South Africa against Mexico and later tonight France... and only a few days left before the first game start! :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04AHHB66Mk&feature=related

Readed today that on the games from the Netherlands the forecast is that the economy would be still for a few hours because everybody is taking free or just watching the game on television on work, yes businesses are kind enough.. empty roads, no shopping people... all about the Orange the next few weeks, well I hope so! :rolleyes:

Robbin

Southwest

Will remember that if I ever visit South Africa in my future life! :mrlooney:

Voel me prima tussen de palmen in de tuin, maar ben eveneens een fanatieke voetbalfan en bezoek alle wedstrijden van Feyenoord! Vind Wk's en Ek's ook gaaf, vaak 1 groot feest!

I'm feeling fine between the palms in the garden but I'm also a fanatic football (Or soccer in the USA?) fan and in my own country I support Feyenoord and visit al there games! Liking World cups, and European's cups too, because most of the time it's one big party during the matches from our orange proud! :drool:

Southwest

you made a good play against mexico palmsZA, France/ Uruguay was more boring. Hpe France / S. Africa will be a good one with plenty of goal.

Curious to see England/Usa tomorrow

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

you made a good play against mexico palmsZA, France/ Uruguay was more boring. Hpe France / S. Africa will be a good one with plenty of goal.

Curious to see England/Usa tomorrow

Very boring indeed. On a dutch friendship page, something like Facebook there was a possibility to make your WK poule with al the games and scores and also the finales for playing with your friends. After all the games the one who has the highest point amount won the poule. In that one, I haven't got France even a round further because somehow it's not working the last few years between all those great players.

Southwest

Agree with the France/Uruguay game, not too exciting, they both played for a defensive draw, best on the ground for me was Diego Forlan from Uruguay. Hope Germany play that way, we'll sting 'em from behind.... boo yeh !!! :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

bravo USA, Fantastic South Corea;

...but in true sport, rugby, we got corrected by the springbox today in the Cap city.

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

Spain is an wonderful team, but "i gotta feeling that tonight is gonna be a good night", and then they wont go through second stage!

Just guess who they will play against, at that stage... :winkie:

Here we go, about to watch the boys take on super team Germany...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

down by 2 at the drinks.... :huh:

Germany so far are too big too fast too skillful and look like they should have had one or two more goals....looks more daunting than I thought. :(

Another half to go, come on lads . :rage:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Wal,

You're watching this game Man? What time is it there?

Go socceroos, go ...half time ahead to smash this bureaucratic football... :angry::angry:

Hey Wal,

Go socceroos, go ...half time ahead to smash this bureaucratic football... :angry::angry:

I don't want to talk right now..... :( I'm going to need a huge palm fix to get over this.. :(

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Wal,

Go socceroos, go ...half time ahead to smash this bureaucratic football... :angry: :angry:

I don't want to talk right now..... :( I'm going to need a huge palm fix to get over this.. :(

These match was a great match not boring, Sorry Wal for the score

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

Well after the game before Germany that was also boring just sad to my dad, pfff so far not a really World cup with some nice games with some more goals then 1 or 2...

Got my wish, but somehow I don't want to see that from the germans! :mrlooney: However I have to say they played very strong and good, to a poor Australia :(

Too bad, because I always like to watch Australia too, there are some players in the team from Holland and Emerton was unbelievble in his Feyenoord Period, the team what I support in the country over here. :drool:

Tomorroowwwwww 13.30... the game... Curious how it's gonna be!

Southwest

Tomorroowwwwww 13.30... the game... Curious how it's gonna be!

Robin,

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Bafana played well, soooo close to winning that one!

Sorry Aussies....the Germans had your number.

Some real crackers lined up for this week!

Cheers for now

Dennis

PS Great game Springboks!!!

post-35-1276500947166_thumb.jpg

post-35-12765009906286_thumb.jpg

post-35-12765010800009_thumb.jpg

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Bafana played well, soooo close to winning that one!

Wow Dennis...I rooted so much for the bafana here...when they scored the first goal I've heard you almost swallowed your vuvuzela... :lol: Your work mates look like they're ready to scream for Brazil against Portugal in Durban...

This afternoon all the cardiologic centers will have double work here in Brazil...Let's see the secret weapons North Korea is preparing for us... :unsure: