IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Out The Back 'O Bonogin

Daryl

Don't know how I missed this thread . Daryl that is one of better gardens I have seen, you can see the the love. Thanks for sharing .

My first visit to this thread as well, Mike, these gardens you have created are very extensive, lots of work,and lots of thought has certainly paid off, theres tons of acceptional palms you are growing there. Your rock walls are really something, and as Bill said theres "a whole lotta love" gone into your gardens. Mike, you wont be selling, so i look forward to seeing pics of your potted NC Palms going inground. :D Real Paradise you have created and still creating Mike,Fantastic Stuff, all the Best Pete.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More Ratpack plantings

attachicon.gifDSC00584.JPG

Mike's new toy

attachicon.gifDSC00577.JPG

It will be used to dig and then place these...

attachicon.gifDSC00582.JPG

Some recently finished hand-built dry-stack walls

attachicon.gifDSC00580.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00578.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00581.JPG

Mike (or Daryl), those are great shots of the dry wall. I don't suppose there's another thread, or you want to write on, giving more depth to the project. I'd love to see more, before, during, after. Really cool looking walls you're making there.

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Dypsis leptocheilos

attachicon.gifDSC00547.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00549.JPG

Dypsis decipiens

attachicon.gifDSC00553.JPG

Dypsis 'ovobontsira' Dark Mealybug

attachicon.gifDSC00559.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00558.JPG

Dypsis robusta

attachicon.gifDSC00631.JPG

More to follow when Daryl gets his data allowance back!

Mike, I wonder if you'd send some pics of Dypsis O. over to the PACSOA. Their page on this palm is sorely lacking. Looks like they need some input from a(nother) pro.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Dypsis/ovobontsira.html

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Looks like a timeless thread this one... First time I have seen it. Great stuff Mike, looks fantastic!!

Very impressive mate, keep it up!! Feel like posting some fresh photos?

More Ratpack plantings

attachicon.gifDSC00584.JPG

Mike's new toy

attachicon.gifDSC00577.JPG

It will be used to dig and then place these...

attachicon.gifDSC00582.JPG

Some recently finished hand-built dry-stack walls

attachicon.gifDSC00580.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00578.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00581.JPG

Mike (or Daryl), those are great shots of the dry wall. I don't suppose there's another thread, or you want to write on, giving more depth to the project. I'd love to see more, before, during, after. Really cool looking walls you're making there.

John, Mike's Internet connection is playing up so he probably hasn't seen this yet...but I'll speak to him and get him to chime in with some more background info for you.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looks like a timeless thread this one... First time I have seen it. Great stuff Mike, looks fantastic!!

Ben, you should come down the coast for a visit...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Tee up a day Ben, I'll pick you up and take you to Mikes and Daryls (and Andys if time permits), trust me, it is worth the visit. Sundays I think is best for them.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tee up a day Ben, I'll pick you up and take you to Mikes and Daryls (and Andys if time permits), trust me, it is worth the visit. Sundays I think is best for them.

I am very happy to accept your invitations, assuming Mike et al are happy for visits?

Expect some pm's in the near future!

Hi guys,sorry i haven't been on Palmtalk for a while(busy lifestyle/work commitments).John i haven't any before or during photos only after photos but when i do another section of wall i will post pics ok .I have used the book 'The Art and Craft of Stonescaping ...setting and stacking stone' by David Reed greatly in the construction of the walls here.It has step by step photos and procedures in the making of retaining walls...A great read and also wonderfull and helpfull pics...you might try Amazon if you want to procure it.Also on the thread 'Starting another Queensland Garden' there are pics of my work at my brother Andy's place in the initial build of his palm gardens...hope this helps.cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

Thanks Pete and Ben for your kind words on the gardens and yes i will take some updated photos when i get the chance.Ben ,you can arrange a visit anytime with Wal here,just give me a 'heads up' in advance and mainly on a weekend(Sundays ok)...cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)