IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Out The Back 'O Bonogin

Daryl

Thanks Jv for the kind comments,Wal you should be able to plant the Redneck and Chamby still....they're both pretty tough. Hope to use the excavator today as it's finally dried out enough to do some digging.Ari,i'd hate to see the float to ship the machine to your place!lol.Unfortunately my Gulubia(Hydriastele) costata succumbed to last winter's cold,though i do have seedlings in my hothouse.Scott the walls won't collapse as long as every course is compacted as you go,flat faces to the front and must be 5 degrees(At least) sloping backwards from bottom of wall to top of wall....cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

SCREAM!

I mean, just scream.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very, Very nice :drool:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Thanks Jeff,we are on 3.5 acres with a humid subtropical climate.We do sometimes get a cold snap(Very rare).June/july are the coldest months with it starting to warm up by the second week in August....only 2 and a bit months to go....yippee......cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

Scott/Ari i forgot to mention with the walls you have to have alot of patience and be good at doing jigsaw puzzles!lol ...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Again thankyou Bruce ,Dave and Apaandssa for your inspiratioal comments!...cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Nice palms, and I want that backhoe.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Thanks Mike.... Scott thinks concrete block wall will be a lot easier on his back... :mrlooney:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Mike,

Great shots, everything seems to have shot along very nicely since I was there. Still envious at the growth rate you guys get.

What seeds did you get from Cairns?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Triffic garden Mike - really nicely done.

You were going to post a shot of your P. sunkha...

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Thanks Stephen and Jonathan, the growth this year has been phenominal! Stephen i got seed of Pinanga punicea var papuana,Drymophloeus subdistichus,Actinorhytis calapparia,Corypha utan just to name a few species in Cairns! Jonathan the pic of P.sunkha is comming soon...cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

Here's some more from around Mike's garden...a few Aussies (Ozzies)

Stormin' Normans

post-42-1275307680004_thumb.jpg

post-42-12753077196669_thumb.jpg

Livistona benthamii

post-42-12753077625449_thumb.jpg

Ptychosperma elegans

post-42-12753078391974_thumb.jpg

Archontophoenix maxima

post-42-12753078785248_thumb.jpg

Corypha utan

post-42-12753079294115_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here's a few from the new world...

Parajubaea sunkha

post-42-12753083418821_thumb.jpg

Butia x Jubaea

post-42-12753083961525_thumb.jpg

A few Coccothrinax...

C.argentata

post-42-12753084717989_thumb.jpg

C.clarensis

post-42-1275308507263_thumb.jpg

C.fragrans

post-42-12753085872387_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A few from the Indian Ocean Islands...

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

post-42-12753091195501_thumb.jpg

Dictyosperma album

post-42-12753091643266_thumb.jpg

Dictyosperma album var furfuracea

post-42-12753092015704_thumb.jpg

Dictyosperma album var album

post-42-12753092523035_thumb.jpg

Roscheria melanochaetes

post-42-1275309289746_thumb.jpg

Verschafelltia splendida

post-42-12753093163643_thumb.jpg

Wow Mike, very impressive! :mrlooney: Do you have to use any fertilizer or is everything "au natural"?

Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Amazing Palms! I have never seen a P. elegans with a bluish hue. Also,do your V. splendida ever experience Winter stress? Do you grow L. grandis? What about C. renda?

Sorry for all the questions. One more, how do P. pacifica/ thrustonia? Well, one more, C. nucifera? Australia is amazing.

What you look for is what is looking

I think I may have to purchase a swooning chair....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Randy,i actually use a lawn fertilizer called 'Tropic' high in nitrogen twice a year with mulching,other than that it's ala natural.Shon, there are some New Caledonian palms on page 1 and thanks again.Bubba V.splendida faces east so that it catches the first morning rays of the sun to warm up,then it's protected for the rest of the day by overhead canopy....seems to be going ok!I have L.grandis and C.renda in pots in my hothouse,P.Pacifica struggles here,but P.Thurstonii does Ok (they look almost identical) so i'll just keep planting P.Thurstonii...and i've got a few shot coconuts in the ground as well(keep them dry in winter).Hope that answers your questions.Bill i'll get one for you if you ever decide to visit. :D ...cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

Those dry stack rock walls are really well done and I'm assuming you've dug a concrete footing to keep it level.

Are the rocks from your property? Quite an art you know, I just need to be patient the next time I start one.

BTW, once your Actinorhytis gets its footing, it's a rocket. Mine have even outpaced the Veitchia.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Mike, thanks for posting more pictures including the P sunkha and the Dictyosperma pictures. In your opinion, what is the difference between D album and D album var furfuracea?

I think the picture of your V splendida just illustrates how many climate zones you have it better than me. I did have one going in the hothouse until a mealy bug attack finished it off. It was a beautiful little thing to have though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Mike

What an amazing collection you have going . :drool:

What is the lowest temperature you have recorded on your property.

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Tim, only the bottom course is in concrete,the rest are loose but compacted with gravel and rocks.All of the rock has been sourced from here thus far(big saving money wise).I've already got two Actinorytis planted and they seem to do ok though they do like their water.Tyrone,D album differs from furfuracea in the leaves(album has longer leaves),furfuracea is more compact overall in size and is much slower in growth.Don't give up on V.splendida as they're too nice to not have around...i've got 2 more i grew from seed to go in(they just need wind protection,warmth and humidity).Troy,the minimum temp we've ever had here is 3 degrees and that was a few years ago when Queensland experienced 1 in 100 year record....just down the road they recorded -7,luckily we are 450 m asl so we don't get frosts and in summer we always get a cool sea breeze to keep temps moderate. ....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Thanks Stephen and Jonathan, the growth this year has been phenominal! Stephen i got seed of Pinanga punicea var papuana,Drymophloeus subdistichus,Actinorhytis calapparia,Corypha utan just to name a few species in Cairns! Jonathan the pic of P.sunkha is comming soon...cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

Sounds like a few good finds, let us know how you go with germination.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Do you have any pics of the pinanga?? Or did you just get the seeds from someone?? I haven't had any luck germinating pinanga seeds... I might've done something wrong!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's a few more from Mike's...

Dypsis leptocheilos and Hyophorbe verschafeltii

post-42-12753911835194_thumb.jpg

Looking to the left, over the roof towards another lepto

post-42-12753912454412_thumb.jpg

More over the roof shots...

post-42-12753913204107_thumb.jpg

post-42-12753913603477_thumb.jpg

The nursery...

post-42-12753914247848_thumb.jpg

Pinanga javana

post-42-12753915296376_thumb.jpg

Licuala peltata var sumawongii

post-42-1275391568835_thumb.jpg

Areca vestiaria

post-42-12753916066182_thumb.jpg

Hydriastele longispatha

post-42-12753916645331_thumb.jpg

Adonidia merrillii in flower

post-42-12753917043338_thumb.jpg

Another Pigafetta elata

post-42-12753917612967_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocalyx albertsiana

post-42-12753918890134_thumb.jpg

Hydriastele sp. PNG

post-42-12753919173831_thumb.jpg

Licuala dasyantha

post-42-12753919568721_thumb.jpg

Guihaia argyrata

post-42-12753919972775_thumb.jpg

Pritchardia lanaiensis

post-42-1275392067902_thumb.jpg

African Oil planted on our Ratpack Day

post-42-12753921173446_thumb.jpg

And a Joey, waiting for plantout...

post-42-12753921647745_thumb.jpg

I'll let you know how successful i am with the germination Stephen.I'll have the pics of pinangas soon Ari in an up coming thread of my trip to Cairns soon!OK....cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Tim, only the bottom course is in concrete,the rest are loose but compacted with gravel and rocks.All of the rock has been sourced from here thus far(big saving money wise).I've already got two Actinorytis planted and they seem to do ok though they do like their water.Tyrone,D album differs from furfuracea in the leaves(album has longer leaves),furfuracea is more compact overall in size and is much slower in growth.Don't give up on V.splendida as they're too nice to not have around...i've got 2 more i grew from seed to go in(they just need wind protection,warmth and humidity).Troy,the minimum temp we've ever had here is 3 degrees and that was a few years ago when Queensland experienced 1 in 100 year record....just down the road they recorded -7,luckily we are 450 m asl so we don't get frosts and in summer we always get a cool sea breeze to keep temps moderate. ....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Mike, thanks for the info regarding the D albums. I have a few D furfuracea's which are too young to notice any difference with yet.

I think your worst winters are our normal winters so V splendida is out of the question, but if I was in your neighbourhood I'd be trying to grow a heap of them.

I love your Pinanga javana. This is one I definitely want to try but have had no success finding yet. I'm trying to grow as many different Pinangas as possible.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A few non-palms (sorry...)

Diplogottis bernsiana

post-42-12754316432148_thumb.jpg

Variegated Costus sp

post-42-12754316816635_thumb.jpg

Cycas thouarsii flush

post-42-12754317322674_thumb.jpg

Mike's newly constructed greenhouse...just in time for winter!

post-42-1275431783388_thumb.jpg

post-42-12754318310333_thumb.jpg

post-42-12754318902887_thumb.jpg

Last couple...and that's it for photos in this thread!

Areca guppyana

post-42-1275432093319_thumb.jpg

Flowering

post-42-12754321239928_thumb.jpg

Orania longisqauma

post-42-12754321638008_thumb.jpg

Ban the kids from internet, Daryl!!! What is wrong with Mike's internet??

heyy!! :) what about me???

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

Fabulous.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You don't have to stop, Daryl... really. Or should I post my nice Gulubia... so Mike gets even greener?? LOL

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow absolutely superb!!!!!

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Vince and Tyrone ,thanks and hope you like the pinanga javana....they seem to like the cool nights and warm days much like Ptychococcus lepidotus here in the Gold Coast hinterland.Tyrone i think Utopia still has some in 200mm pots for sale if your interested! Wal and Sol thanks and glad you both had great holidays. Ari,i'm glad your G.costatas are growing well for you and no i'm not green with envy. Not yet any way! :mrlooney: ....cheers Mike Green (Newcal)