IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Out The Back 'O Bonogin

Daryl

Hi Guys, here are a few pics of my garden coming into winter. Hope you enjoy them!

Cheers Mike Green (Newcal) - using Daryl's computer

Looking down my driveway

post-42-12749552987666_thumb.jpg

Foxy Lady starting to flower

post-42-12749554673487_thumb.jpg

Adonidia sentries

post-42-12749555263362_thumb.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis and Coccothrinax argentea

post-42-12749555913804_thumb.jpg

Another Bizzie with a Piggie behind it for company

post-42-12749556530804_thumb.jpg

My largest Pigafetta

post-42-12749557005438_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dypsis leptocheilos

post-42-12749560028658_thumb.jpg

post-42-12749560550058_thumb.jpg

Dypsis decipiens

post-42-12749561154798_thumb.jpg

Dypsis 'ovobontsira' Dark Mealybug

post-42-12749563376354_thumb.jpg

post-42-12749563886567_thumb.jpg

Dypsis robusta

post-42-12749567287711_thumb.jpg

More to follow when Daryl gets his data allowance back!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That is simply amazing, I never even knew Dypsis 'ovobontsira' pumped out red like that. Looking lush down there Mike.

Have the kids been using up the internet allowance Daryl ? This will frustrate a lot of people on palmtalk wanting to see your garden updates.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You know that you can log out and login back as you, Mike :). Or Daryl is actually posting the photos??

BTW, the garden is coming along... You should take photos of the new addition of the garden. And the Dypsis 'ovobontsira' Dark Mealybug is nice.. I didn't know they had red new growth.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wal, you guessed it...

Ari, it is called 'forgetting to log out first'! We didn't realise until it was too late...LOL! :mrlooney:

Daryl

Ban the kids from internet, Daryl!!! What is wrong with Mike's internet??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Looking great!

Hmmm that D.ovobontsira "dark mealy".... :hmm:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Nothing wrong with my internet Ari, it's just that Daryl can download more photos in fewer posts than i can. Thanks Wal, the garden is looking good at the moment especially with all the rain/showers we're getting....lets see how it looks after winters past!...Cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

That is simply amazing, I never even knew Dypsis 'ovobontsira' pumped out red like that. Looking lush down there Mike.

Have the kids been using up the internet allowance Daryl ? This will frustrate a lot of people on palmtalk wanting to see your garden updates.

Wal-

I thought you saw my small one from about 2 years ago. I just planted this finally about 2 months ago, I'll show a leaf then... (Mike yours looks awesome!)

post-27-12749688021992_thumb.jpg

Also Mike, I think your "robusta" is what Dransfield has said is "tokoravina". Its that grouped leaflets thing.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

looks killer! those d.leptochielos really look great with some trunk.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Looking killer Mike.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Looks great Mike! Waiting to see the areas where the group 'Rat Pack' work sessions worked so hard

creating.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the great comments fellas. You could be right Bill about that D.robusta as i'm no expert on Dypsis sps especially when i bought it about 15 years ago in Sydney at Palmland under another name....Stumpy no1.Who Knows? Few do. Paul ,the Dypsis leptocheilos are one of my all time favourites...i'm going to post some pics of my recent trip to Cairns shortly in travelogs and there are some killer pics of D.leptocheilos outside our room at the resort. Tim ,more photos to come including the Ratpack garden,new hothouse ,rock walls etc etc...stay tuned....cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

The garden is looking great going into winter Mike .

Thanks for posting the pics.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Looking good Mike. I'll have to drop in sometime and check it out. Hows the not so newly planted area going.

I missed the meeting the other night. My son and his wife flew out to London to work so we saw them off.

Cheers

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Thanks Shon,when ever you come over to Australia, please pay us a visit as i'd be happy to show you around! Thanks Matt...let's hope it's a mild winter hey! Brod,call in anytime....i'll show you the Ratpack garden and the stash of seeds i got in Cairns! i can't tell you what they are as i'd have to kill you !

Wal-

I thought you saw my small one from about 2 years ago. I just planted this finally about 2 months ago, I'll show a leaf then... (Mike yours looks awesome!)

post-27-12749688021992_thumb.jpg

I don't recall Bill to be perfectly honest, looks great. That means that mine should be turning this colour next new leaf, kind of bronzy last time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Superb garden Mike - your garden has a real classy look about it !

Fantastic selection of very healthy palms....well done.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

It's always a pleasure looking at your awesome garden Mike. Thanks for posting.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here's a few more Madagascans from Mike's place...

post-42-12750508547284_thumb.jpg

post-42-12750509632792_thumb.jpg

post-42-12750510467541_thumb.jpg

post-42-12750510921626_thumb.jpg

post-42-12750511369154_thumb.jpg

post-42-1275051239203_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm starting to follow Shons way of thinking.... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Whoa!

That is eye candy!

My eyeballs are getting CAVITIES! :drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great stuff Mike! What's the D. madagascarensis looking thing?: pic 5, post 21.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Great stuff Mike! What's the D. madagascarensis looking thing?: pic 5, post 21.

Looks like a D. cabadae x lucubensis.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great pictures. I love that driveway shot. That dark mealybug is also fantastic :drool::drool: I did not know they threw a red leaf.

Laura

Thanks everyone for the praise you've given the garden,it's been hard but rewarding work and it's great to see it evolving into something special finally! Here are the names of the madagascan palms in the last lot of posts...1 Marojejya darianii.2 Marojejya insignis(though Clayton York of Utopia palms thinks this is something new).3 Dypsis lastelliana.4 flowering Dypsis pinnatifrons.5 Matt,Len is spot on with the identification...Dypsis cabadae xLucubensis.6 Dypsis 'Bef' aka 'Slick Willy'....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)...ps More to come!

Lemurophoenix halleuxii

post-42-12750899813573_thumb.jpg

Dypsis 'laffa'

post-42-12750902199758_thumb.jpg

Dypsis sp 'bejofa'

post-42-1275090434779_thumb.jpg

Dypsis ovobontsira and Foxy LAdy

post-42-12750908820087_thumb.jpg

Ravenea glauca

post-42-12750905443579_thumb.jpg

Every time I hear the word "Lemurophoenix" I cry a little more. :(

Looks great Mike, where's those Cairns pics ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Patience my young padawhan...good things come to those that wait!cheers Mike Green.

Gulubia costata pics??? My little one has exploded!! It was amazing... I was wondering why it was doing better than the other 2 next to the shadehouse, until I realised it is next to the sprinkler...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's some more...

3 headed Dypsis decipiens

post-42-12751343225877_thumb.jpg

Dypsis pembana

post-42-12751344328957_thumb.jpg

OK, here are a couple of photos from the Ratpack area...

Ratpack plantings at left of photo

post-42-1275134529422_thumb.jpg

Bentinckia and Clinostigma are establishing well

post-42-12751345698663_thumb.jpg

Purpureas and Hydriastele longispatha

post-42-12751346491352_thumb.jpg

Licuala ramsayii transplant is surviving

post-42-1275134704054_thumb.jpg

More Ratpack plantings

post-42-12751352612591_thumb.jpg

Mike's new toy

post-42-12751349239526_thumb.jpg

It will be used to dig and then place these...

post-42-12751349669157_thumb.jpg

Some recently finished hand-built dry-stack walls

post-42-12751350275807_thumb.jpg

post-42-1275135097738_thumb.jpg

post-42-12751352013179_thumb.jpg

Wow truly tropical.... beautiful and impressive garden. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

That toy looks unused Mike, plants going very well indeed, excellent job on the rock walls.

Have you finished planting for now ? I think I have, might drop one or two in today then wait for warmer weather.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Can we borrow your new toy to dig up our pond?? LOL. BTW, Scott was impressed with your dry-stack wall. He only has one question though, how do you keep it from collapsing??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

A few New Caledonians...

Cyphophoenix alba and elegans

post-42-12751733884714_thumb.jpg

Besselinia gracilis

post-42-1275173444246_thumb.jpg

Burretiokentia hapala

post-42-12751734913981_thumb.jpg

Chambeyronea macrocarpa 'hookeri' and Kentiopsis magnifica in front

post-42-12751735363242_thumb.jpg

Another Cyphophoenix alba

post-42-12751736043379_thumb.jpg

Outstanding Mike, looking better than ever, doubt there would be a better grouping of New Caledonian palms in Australia.

Thanks Daz for the techo work, uploading photos, woo.. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mike,

Your garden is amazing. I love the tropical feel and is very lush looking. How big is your property?

Thanks for sharing. And going into the winter? Are you sure what you mean? :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.