IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Golden and Rainbow Shower Trees

ruskinPalms

I think when spring comes, I am going to replace a small oak with a different tree. I am considering Delonix regia or possibly Cassia fistula or Rainbow Shower tree. Can Cassia fistula grow in FL zone 9B? Does anyone have info regarding Frost/Freeze tolerance? Ant experiences and pictures? I saw the rainbow shower trees while in HI this year and they were beautiful.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Ruskin- take a look at this thread.

Topic: Royal Poinciana (Delonix Regia), Range in non- tropical climates

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The rainbow or pink Cassias are slightly more tender than Delonix, C. fistula is hardier. It can be tender when young but gets hardier as it matures. We have a C. fistula that has been outside for about 12 years and has survived 27F no problem. It flowers in late spring/early summer. Even better than C. fistula is C. leptophylla, the Gold Medallion Tree. It is hardy into the low/mid 20sF and flowers in early summer. It is covered in bright gold flowers. The tree is behaved and only gets 20-25 ft tall. Also, look for C. bakeriana. It is a pink species from Thailand that is supposed to have some cold hardiness as about all the other pink Cassias are tender.

We got a hybrid to try this summer called 'White Queen' that is supposed to be a white flowering hybrid.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

(Eric in Orlando @ Dec. 08 2006,17:58)

The rainbow or pink Cassias are slightly more tender than Delonix,

Eric-

What is your opinion of the absolute cold hardiness of Delonix?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Walt,

I love C. fistula but it is a messy tree.  As Luis mentioned, seeds are very easy to germinate.  The seeds pods are a bit messy though.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I would guess a mature Delonix is root hardy in the low to mid 20sF but not on a regular basis. This is after observing what happened to some specimens after the 12/89 freeze. It dropped to 20F for 2 nights back then here in Orlando. Most around here were killed outright but there were a few specimens that survived but were killed back to the roots and were slow to grow back in spring.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have found the large Cassias to be somewhat picky when it comes to soil pH.  The lower the better.  C. fistula in particular yellows out in high pH.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I've been trying a few Cassias out by starting from seed.

Here is a pic of a Cassia fistula that I took today.  It is presently growing in a 20-gallon pot and has done fine outside here in San Diego.  It will lose it's leaves in the Spring but releaf qucikly.

I also have a Cassia moschata that I started from seed two years ago.  It is presently in a 10-gallon pot.  It spent last winter out fine.  It also loses its leaves in the winter and then leafs out in Spring.

I have some much smaller seedlings of C. nodosa, C. javanica, and C. grandis.  They are in 1-2 gallon pots and are outside on a table but under a solid overhand so they don't get the winter rains.  This will be the first winter outside for them, so I don't know how they will do.  So far they look ok however.

The Rainbow Shower tree is some kind of a Cassia cross that they call C. x neallii.  I've read that they are rather tender, but other than that I don't know much about them.

-Ron-

CASSIA FISTULA

Cassia_fistula.jpg

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

(Walt @ Dec. 18 2006,21:55)

I would definitely try Cassia fistula. I've been wanting to try one but haven't run across any yet in local nurseries.

Local Cassia fistula:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1076585757042496162ZwxSJs'>

http://community.webshots.com/user....tcat100'>

Walt;  Check out your local Home Depot if they're selling plants from Morningstar.  If they don't have it, you could probably request them them to special order you one,  I think they're calling it "Golden Shower Cassia".

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

Ray: one messy tree is okay. The trade-off is worth it to me for some color.

Ron: Thanks for the advice. I've special ordered from HD before, and yes, Morningstar is one of their vendors. But lately, HD has let me down. I got a verbal from them last spring, that they would order me the palms I wanted (15 gallon veitchias et al). They never got them. Then, two weeks ago, I asked them if they could order me five 50# bags of Lesco 0-0-62. I told them my palms need far more K (potassium).  The Lesco plant is in Sebring, same as HD. The garden manager took my phone number and said she would call me the next day about the status. I never heard from her. My local Lowes isn't any better. Be that as it may, I will get my C. fistula soon.

Mad about palms

There's a very large old C. fistula just down the road from me.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  And Rick Nale, who sometimes posts on the CFPACS board, has a beauty, which grows by a large bougainvillea - the combination, when they're flowering, would take your breath away.

I have 3 small C. bicapsularis - these stay much smaller than fistula and aren't quite as messy.   One thing about these plants, though, is wind-resistance.  I don't think they're very strong, so care needs to be taken where they're planted.  just my op.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Hi Sunny,

Rick's tree is where my seeds came from.   There are also many planted in yards along 22nd Ave N.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B