IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei pics (cleaned trunk please)

TropicPalms7

Does anyone have any pictures of cleaned trunk Trachycarpus Fortunei - Chusan Windmill? I have used the search option and found nothing but I know it was shown on here a few months back... Thanks in advance and talk soon! -Justin in Virginia Beach

Does anyone have any pictures of cleaned trunk Trachycarpus Fortunei - Chusan Windmill? I have used the search option and found nothing but I know it was shown on here a few months back... Thanks in advance and talk soon! -Justin in Virginia Beach

Here goes

post-37-12745122494822_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Here's one in Bordeaux, France...

Cheers

Jonimic

post-780-1274603793388_thumb.jpg

post-780-12746039382_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jonimic

Bordeaux, France

Min. temps : -12°C (observed in the garden in 2007)

Max. temps : +42°C (observed in the summer of 2003)

Here's one in Bordeaux, France...

Cheers

Jonimic

Surprisingly tropicalesque

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thats surprising, the ones i saw had a black trunk...

This is Trachycarpus"white stem" Rafael very, very rare and expensive, but you can have mine for € 5000,-- :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Thats surprising, the ones i saw had a black trunk...

This is Trachycarpus"white stem" Rafael very, very rare and expensive, but you can have mine for € 5000,-- :rolleyes:

OK then, maybe with a "little" discount... :hmm:

thank you all very much for those pictures! there all really good, in the last picture I have never seen a Trachycarpus Fortunei with that large of a trunk at the bottom. Def is one thats just a nice fat trunk for a Chusan/Chinese Windmill. The reason I asked for theese pictures is because I have 3 20' Trachys in my front yard and I searched for pics and couldnt find them and knew you all could help... I wanted to clean the trunk on mine but wanted to see what it looked like first...Ill post pics soon! thanks again so much and talk soon -Justin in VB

that makes me sad =/

they look fine "naturally"

That's an interesting reply. Last year as a palm novice (I'm still a novice), I asked about my Bottle Palm on another forum. I wasn't sure why my Bottle Palm didn't look like others I'd seen. MattyB replied saying that the 'Other's' trunks were cleaned and he gave a brief description of how to clean them. Here's before:

P1220006.JPG

And here's After (& I must say that with a dull utility knife it's really hard work!)

P1270102.JPG

P1270101.JPG

I'm not too sure many people would say it didn't look better, but Leonard our landscaper didn't seem too happy and mentioned that the old leaf bases improve the uptake of water. What do other people think? In the same vein, what is the opinion on removing old fronds? It seems it's totally wrong in some cases such as C. macroglossa, but otherwise short of over pruning it's seems to be a matter of taste, yes, no? Are there general rules on this?

And I never said thank you to Matty so, Thank You MattyB!

Susan

Edited by GTClover

Susan,

I agree with your landscaper - I think it looked just as nice with its leaf bases attached. Although it still looks good.

I've seen plenty of palms wrecked by removing old leaves, particularly Phoenix canariensis, which can be a great looking palm if left to form a natural crown.

Who would want to remove the skirt from a W. filifera - they look cute, like some sort of Muppet in a fur coat!

As for the Trachy's, they do look cool and tropical when first stripped, but when it gets out of reach you will have one ugly, mishapen, unbalanced monster. Also why not just grow a T. latisectus or martianus which are naturally bare trunked?

Thats my opinion, for what its worth....

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I used to think the hairy trunk looked ugly, but now I think it's health is more important. Sometimes it hurts the trunk, like making it weak and snap in high winds, or get diseased. JMO

Soro, nice shots of some mature trachy's... thanks.

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Susan,

I agree with your landscaper - I think it looked just as nice with its leaf bases attached. Although it still looks good.

I've seen plenty of palms wrecked by removing old leaves, particularly Phoenix canariensis, which can be a great looking palm if left to form a natural crown.

Who would want to remove the skirt from a W. filifera - they look cute, like some sort of Muppet in a fur coat!

As for the Trachy's, they do look cool and tropical when first stripped, but when it gets out of reach you will have one ugly, mishapen, unbalanced monster. Also why not just grow a T. latisectus or martianus which are naturally bare trunked?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, I definitely understand your sentiment (kind of like clipping dogs ears). Also being new at this, I'm finding that some of the expected practices with other plants don't apply to palms and I'm hoping I haven't damage my Bottle. I do have another Bottle that I have not cleaned so I'll be able to compare growth to.

Also (another novice question) since Bottles no longer produce new leaves from the base puts it into a different category from the Tachys that grow beyond the reach of the pruner producing a top heavy tree, correct?

For my other question on trimming old fronds, I was hoping to hear from experience palm growers on removing dead fronds for what I would call health reasons. For examle from my experence with other plant families, I generally remove severely yellowing and dead leaves (along with changing my watering practices), so that they don't drain the resources of a recovering plant! From another thread on the dying P. pacifica and many on cold damage I would have immediate remove those dead leaves, but I don't think anyone on this forum recommended this. Why is this?

Susan

I was planning on waiting until later this summer to give an update but who knows a hurricane may blow it down by then...so here you go...it's struggling but it's getting greener.

life.jpg

life1.jpg

Somehow I like them both with hair and without hairs, maybe when my Trachycarpus fortunei are bigger I'm going to do strip one of them and defitnely leave the others how the natural should be.

By the way here is a good link with explaining how to strip.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Palms/Trachycarpus_fibre_stripping.php

Robbin

Southwest

• 10 years later...
On 5/24/2010 at 9:57 PM, Jonathan said:

Susan,

Cheers,

Jonathan

It should be a crime to trim any leaves of a washy.

Nothing to say here. 

On 5/21/2010 at 11:09 PM, TropicPalms7 said:

Here are two that I saw a week or so ago in Columbia, South Carolina (second one on the lower right). They had nice little skirts on them. Thanks!

PalmsUSA

image.png.18421eab4d065aec8ef1b78229cc1dcd.png

Edited by PalmsUSA

I know there isn't a whole lot of material to work with, but has anyone tried to taper the trunks?  Or any other version of a stylized trunk?

• 3 months later...

Hi guy's. Will the hair grow back once removed? I have birds stripping it for making nests. But i dont like the look of it tbh. Cant find any info if it grows back. Thanks

• 4 months later...

No the hair will never grow back.

I started cutting my old one back for the first time today. It took me a few hours to get to this stage.

IMG_20210830_150847.jpg

IMG_20210830_1508081.jpg

Edited by PalmCode

Looks 10x better cleaned in my opinion. I never wanted one of these until I saw them with clean trunks. Now I bought one that will get its trunk cleaned once it gets older. I certainly understand people's arguments for not cleaning the trunks, but many have been cleaned years ago with no negative health problems due to it. For the person who said that there landscaper told them they shouldn't have cleaned the old frond bases off of their bottle palm. I disagree. Getting rid of old dead tissue is not going to harm the palm. Besides Bottle Palms always look so much better and healthier than uncleaned bottle palms. If you are in a high humidity area like I am excess dead material on the palm is just somewhere mold can take hold and start growing. 

Edited by HtownPalms
  • Like 1