IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plants in Garage - How Long?

KatyTX

Here in s.central Texas we've had 2 weeks of off/on light freezes - the lowest night was 29F.  For the last 4 nights, I've had some of my sensitive plants (bottle/spindle palms, vetchia merrilli, + a couple of cycads) in the garage.

No time to construct a greenhouse this year...

How bad is it to leave these 'in the dark' for 4-5 days?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

In my zone, I am forced do this many times during the spring and fall.  My palms/tropicals have not suffered any ill effects that I can tell.   I certainly would not go any longer than 6 days of total darkness before I got them into the sun again.    You and your palms will be fine for 4-5 days at a time.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Oppalm, i live in kansas too and was wondering, do you overwinter any of your palms outside? I am trying out a trachycarpus and was wondering if anyone else is as crazy as i am :D

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Throw in some cheap fluorescent lights as a minimum. I wouldn't dare put it even for less than two days. I lost a live oak that way (due to my ignorance at the moment), all the leaves browned, eventually some shoots came back but it wound up perishing. I don't know how palms would behave though.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Ive had my all of my potted palms in the garage for a week now... They will come out tomorrow.

Ive never had any issues, I do leave the flourescents on 24/7 while I have plants in there.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Looks like we're out of the woods for a little while: 50s/70s F next week.

This has started out to be a strange winter...

Thanks for the experiences & advice.

Matt

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

The longest I've kept plants in garage without light or water was a little over a month, without any apparent damage. As long as you don't place them in full sun afterwards, they will be just fine.

Minneola, Florida

(pin38 @ Dec. 08 2006,16:41)

Oppalm, i live in kansas too and was wondering, do you overwinter any of your palms outside? I am trying out a trachycarpus and was wondering if anyone else is as crazy as i am :D

send me a pm and we'll talk or send me an email at kentp5121 at sbcglobal.net

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Back in December of 2001, I had no greenhouse yet and "garaged" my palms for one week.  Temps were in the mid thirties for an unusually long strecth and the palms would have surely suffered.  30 something degrees doesn't sound too cold unless you're talking about A. catechu, V. splendida and other things that hate anything below 40F.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I did this last year with a Washie & (2) king sagos..... Bringing them in only on the coldest of days.. I usually would go no longer than 4 days at a clip. No browning to speak of, but I don't know how it would affect other, more tender stuff.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 15 2006,09:20)

30 something degrees doesn't sound too cold unless you're talking about A. catechu, V. splendida and other things that hate anything below 40F.

Ray-

The 42 and some change degree night we had about a week ago affected my A. catechu.  Not terribly of course...but there was some light spotting if one looked closely.

My Prichardia pacifica did not seem to be bothered by this temp, whereas last year low 40's caused some spotting and color change in the foliage.  I suppose this extra toughness is a function of its added size (now about 10 ft OA) with the growth point a few feet off the ground.  This has been a quite fast growing palm.

And, oddly enough, four newly planted (about 2-3 months ago) 6-8 ft OA Archontophoenix cunninghamiana also spotted up in the low 40's.  I guess they are still adjusting and are in a rather weak state.  The more established Archontos in my yard obviously did not blink.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

The earlier in the season we get those cooler temps, the more the ultra tropicals get affected cosmetically.  Those same temps in January do less damage as the plants are more hardened off.  There's no scientific proof of this that I'm aware of just an observation made over the years.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B