JASON M

Germinating a Super Market clean coconut??

Zeeth
On January 1, 2016 at 10:32:03, Zeeth said:

IMG_4644.thumb.JPG.2e1381f35ac5ba1081916

Update:

IMG_6490.thumb.JPG.e343796e43a0bec82de02

Zeeth

Starting another coconut from the Dominican Republic. I'm planning on growing this one in South Tampa this spring to see if it can survive. 

IMG_6544.thumb.JPG.2c5818c243808ce6c462c

IMG_6543.thumb.JPG.22ad038258ae696f47f83

• Upvote 1

JEFF IN MODESTO

FL already has LY, I wouldn't ever bring any cocos from the Caribbean into ca, we don't have it. 

Zeeth
28 minutes ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

FL already has LY, I wouldn't ever bring any cocos from the Caribbean into ca, we don't have it. 

The virus can't be transmitted through dehusked, ripe coconuts, which is why importation law states that any coconuts imported into the US must be dehusked first.

I doubt the vector would survive in California anyway, because it's range is restricted to the tropical areas in Florida. I'd be more worried about Texas Palm decline in California, as it's shown to be much less tropical in it's range here. 

• Upvote 1

Zeeth
On August 15, 2016 at 10:46:35, Zeeth said:

Starting another coconut from the Dominican Republic. I'm planning on growing this one in South Tampa this spring to see if it can survive. 

IMG_6544.thumb.JPG.2c5818c243808ce6c462c

IMG_6543.thumb.JPG.22ad038258ae696f47f83

57dbf66abe7f3_761622089132862897account_

• Upvote 1

RemiMontreal2015
On 2016-08-15 16:10:03, Zeeth said:

The virus can't be transmitted through dehusked, ripe coconuts, which is why importation law states that any coconuts imported into the US must be dehusked first.

I doubt the vector would survive in California anyway, because it's range is restricted to the tropical areas in Florida. I'd be more worried about Texas Palm decline in California, as it's shown to be much less tropical in it's range here. 

Hello,

I agree and I would add that the pathogen of LY is not a virus but rather some type of bacteria that doesn't have a cell wall. By itself the ''bacteria'' wouldn't be an issue but there is a vector. This small insect will bring the pathogen from one affected coconut tree to another one (naive palm tree). The latter one eventually becomes infected, unfortunately.

The chance of spreading LY is extremely little when you grow coconut (dehusked from a grocery store). The risk would be higher, driving from an infected area to a ''free'' area. there is always a risk of bringing this nasty vector in your luggage!

Rémi

graupel

Cocos nucifera 24.12.2016

DSC09497.jpg

• Upvote 2