IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Darwin could be 2 degrees hotter by 2030

Walter John

Hi weather fans, here's some very interesting weather news that ALL people from around the globe might find worth a read.

Darwin could be 2 degrees hotter by 2030:

Climate change could leave Darwin two degrees Celsius warmer by the year 2030, the Darwin City Council has heard.

In a presentation from the Bureau of Meteorology, the council was last night told that Darwin could be between two and four degrees warmer by 2070.

The bureau says the sea level has risen 14 centimetres in the past 20 years and could rise 70 centimetres in the next century.

It says those sea level models are based on the ocean's thermal expansion from global warming.

The bureau does not take into account catastrophic melting of glaciers that could lead to rises of several metres.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

COULD be 2 degrees hotter..... hmmmmm....COULD be 2 degrees colder as well.

Darwin COULD have been 2 degrees hotter during the 1600's......

That's the funny thing about weather... it isn't static.... it's a variable.

And for what it's worth...the B.O.M & CSIRO are roughly 50% political and 50% scientific these days.... meaning they issue a lot of "doomsday" predictions (containing the words "could" and "might") which ultimately conclude with "more study is needed" - and hence get more funding. Funny that.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

The IPS reaaaally hates the idea of a controversial topic, so this thread may get locked if a controversy starts.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Yeah.... I don't think much with the climate change stuff... everyone has their own theories and apparently they are all correct. So, I just do what I do... and try to preserve my environment. And hopefully people around me will like it and do the same.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Indeed. The climate is forever 'changing' and it's any-bodies guess what is going to happen - much like the governments budget forecast. We just had the driest 'dry season' on record, and now 700 mm more rain than the last 3 wet season... Better planning and policies need to be put in place which create sustainable development into the future. That's my 'two cent's'. :)

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

A cool and foggy night, but today went up to 27, supposed to be a nippy 5 tonight....ugh. I could handle a bit of global warming right now. It may even raise property values in my street. I am 8 metres sea level so if the river came up a couple of metres I would have a nice waterfront property instead of just river glimpses, unless theres a flood.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi weather fans, here's some very interesting weather news that ALL people from around the globe might find worth a read.

Darwin could be 2 degrees hotter by 2030:

It says those sea level models are based on the ocean's thermal expansion from global warming.

The bureau does not take into account catastrophic melting of glaciers that could lead to rises of several metres.

It does not look like the bureau is taking into account the possiblity of global cooling which a lot of people believe may be in the works instead.

Keith´s thread on the winter of 2010 has a lot of good information on this subject. And, it managed to stay neutral enough to stay alive.

There are a lot of sides to this story and I guess it just depends on which one you like.

Whatever happens it will be the only climate we have.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

biggrin.gif Just have a extra Cold beer.under your palms good day matebiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

The IPS reaaaally hates the idea of a controversial topic, so this thread may get locked if a controversy starts.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????

Only kidding. :mrlooney:

Me means no harm really. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

When weathermen can ACTUALLY predict whether it is going to rain or not rain tomorrow (within 24 hours)...

Then I will begin to pay much closer attention to what they say the temperature will be 20 years from NOW!!! :winkie:

Until then, I don't know if it going to be 2 degrees warmer in 2030 or 2 degrees colder in 2030, but I will put money that the CLIMATOLOGISTS do not really know either? Weather and climate is constantly in a state of change/flux that we humans don't fully understand at this point,even though some act like they do. Yes we understand some mechanisms regarding the weather,but it still seems to elude prediction,even short term, little lone 20 years from now..

Just my 2 cents

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

What a lot of people don't understand is that although related, climate and weather are two different things.

Darwin doesn't need to be 2 degrees hotter.

I was under the impression that as the earth warmed the equator would stay pretty much the same temp, as it would become wetter and more humid, basically expanding the equatorial zone to encompass areas like Darwin, which are monsoonal now. Working further away from the equator a wetter monsoonal area would exist further into what is now considered the northern part of the arid zone. The arid zone would push further south (in the southern hemisphere) and start to reduce rainfall in the area directly south of the current arid zone just like is happening in southern Australia now. This is all because Antarctica the engine of the worlds weather is melting and the cold fronts which water these areas in winter are less frequent and intense than 30 years ago for example.

That's what I reckon for the little it's worth.

But the moral to this story is, "If your weather turns crappy-go to Hawaii"

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What a lot of people don't understand is that although related, climate and weather are two different things.

Climate encompasses the statistics of temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, rainfall, atmospheric particle count and numerous other meteorological elements in a given region over long periods of time. Climate can be contrasted to weather, which is the present condition of these same elements over periods up to two weeks.

Climate is weather over an extended period of observation! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

They found bits of fossilised palms in the Thames River in London, so anything is possible. And now after reading Matty B's contribution, I am going to kneel down and genuflect myself into a coma, in case other stories are factual too.

Peachy

27.35 south.

They found bits of fossilised palms in the Thames River in London, so anything is possible. And now after reading Matty B's contribution, I am going to kneel down and genuflect myself into a coma, in case other stories are factual too.

Peachy

Nypa fruticans pollen has been found in the Thames fossilised from when the south of England was around 44N. That kind of tells me that in the past almost the entire globe was tropical. Is there a problem with that. No. I wish it would happen again tomorrow actually.

Best regards

Tyrone

As long as I can still grow my garden.... and we still get rain... I am happy... Besides, when you have canopies, the temperature is at least 5 degree less in the shade...

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get... :mrlooney:

Interesting to see that over the last 20 years the western edge of the top end and the Kimberley have been much wetter than the decades before them, and southeast Queensland has been much drier over the same period. I just hope it turns around here!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

sad.gif Remember the good ol days when you could talk about fishing, gardening, and weather with-out politics being involved . remember there is a difference between weather and political powerlaugh.gif

sad.gif Remember the good ol days when you could talk about fishing, gardening, and weather with-out politics being involved . remember there is a difference between weather and political powerlaugh.gif

Fishing ??? You mean the brutal murders of poor little piscean creatures that harm nobody ? Shocking...ban it instantly. Nothing worse than bits of tuna in a can of dolphin.

Peachy

27.35 south.

mrlooney.gif But they taste SO GOOD on biggrin.gif the grill

Not to be too controversial, but Jesus told me that Darwin will be 3.7C hotter in 2020, due the fact that President Obama is causing too many abortions.

I can't believe how my simple thread on a quote from a Darwin news report on the WEATHER (temps increasing)has come to this. If you want controversy, try calling Dypsis lutescens "Areca" palms, then you just sit back and watch the battle begin... :lol:

Just about every nursery supplyin big box stores in Hawai`i, well at least on O`ahu call Dypsis lutescens "ARECA" palms. Right on the nursery printed labels.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I was under the impression that as the earth warmed the equator would stay pretty much the same temp, as it would become wetter and more humid, basically expanding the equatorial zone to encompass areas like Darwin, which are monsoonal now. Working further away from the equator a wetter monsoonal area would exist further into what is now considered the northern part of the arid zone. The arid zone would push further south (in the southern hemisphere) and start to reduce rainfall in the area directly south of the current arid zone just like is happening in southern Australia now. This is all because Antarctica the engine of the worlds weather is melting and the cold fronts which water these areas in winter are less frequent and intense than 30 years ago for example.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ocean water melts and freezes all the time. Here on O`ahu we have evidence of that with two very see-able coral reefs that are way above sea level. There is one at 25' and another at 95' above present sea level. I understand that divers could point out other reef that are now deeper underwater showing times when sea level was lower.

Trying to keep this scientific and not political :lol:

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Fishing ??? You mean the brutal murders of poor little piscean creatures that harm nobody ? Shocking...ban it instantly. Nothing worse than bits of tuna in a can of dolphin.

Peachy

But dolphin tastes so good w/a bit of mayo spread between two slices of bread :D

Peachy,

I think they are talking about this dolphin, not the mamilian cousin of ours of Flipper fame.

full-dolphin-fish-costa-rica.jpg

bull-dolphin-fish-louis-petrucco.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

Ocean water melts and freezes all the time. Here on O`ahu we have evidence of that with two very see-able coral reefs that are way above sea level. There is one at 25' and another at 95' above present sea level. I understand that divers could point out other reef that are now deeper underwater showing times when sea level was lower.

Trying to keep this scientific and not political :lol:

Sea levels have changed over the history of life on earth but it's not all to do with ocean temps and polar ice caps being present or melting away. The actual sea floors have lowered and risen too. When you think that earths crust is on average only 30kms thick, it's easy to see it rising and lowering over time, with sea levels going up and down all the time too. In fact I remember reading that if if Greenlands icepacks were to melt away it would bounce a km higher above sea level due to the reduced weight on Greenland itself. Imagine the volcanic activity then.

Best regards

Tyrone

Peachy,

I think they are talking about this dolphin, not the mamilian cousin of ours of Flipper fame.

full-dolphin-fish-costa-rica.jpg

bull-dolphin-fish-louis-petrucco.jpg

:drool:

that is a beautiful dolphfin fish!

Where was that caught?

.........nice size and must have been fun to catch.

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

I caught it on the internet.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I caught it on the internet.

dk

Yikes..........it would be exciting to have got wet

catching that one.

Teresa :D

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Well,

I did catch this one. A peacock bass, tucurane açu, the best sport fish in Amazonia. Not that it has anything to do with the future weather in Darwin though. My bet is that it will be colder not warmer in 2030, but that is just my bet. There is no way anyone knows what the climate will be like anyway. But you can still go fishing.

dk

post-188-12745165586449_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hey... fishing is still related to Darwin... Darwin is famous for its fishing too, Barramundi for one and also deep sea fishing. Unfortunately, Scott doesn't go fishing very often as we are still busy with the property. One day when we have no other expenses and can afford luxury, like boat... He does go on charters though... the last one he got quite a few decent size barras and the one before he got some nice jew fish...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

As they say, The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Well,

I did catch this one. A peacock bass, tucurane açu, the best sport fish in Amazonia. Not that it has anything to do with the future weather in Darwin though. My bet is that it will be colder not warmer in 2030, but that is just my bet. There is no way anyone knows what the climate will be like anyway. But you can still go fishing.

dk

Thats a nice peacock bass are they good to eat? I have one in my tank i f the climate gets warmer ill let it go in the lake

They are quite good to eat. The ones from lake I was fishing at are even better than most.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg