IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amazon Pre-tour

elHoagie

Jack is in Hawaii, but I wanted to put up some pictures of our awesome trip down the Amazon. Sorry if I get some of the palm names wrong. I hope that other people that were on the boat will add pictures.

Lindsey aka LaHoagie

Our Boat

post-74-12728341578112_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Go Lindsey, Go!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Geonoma aspidiifolia

post-74-1272834821861_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Astrocaryum aculeatum

post-74-12728356811041_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Dr. Andrew Henderson holding a Bactris bidentula leaf.

post-74-12728362884149_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Geonoma stricta

post-74-12728371793989_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

I love those geonoma... if only they will LIVE for me... Thanks Lindsey, good to see you are enjoying palms more and more :).

BTW, what is Jack doing in Hawaii??? And why aren't you going?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Lindsey,

I am anxious to see more pictures. Unfortunately I did not get to meet more people on the pre tour. I did get to spend some time with Dan and Donald from Kona though. I picked them up on Sunday before the tour and went to the supermarket and stopped by the bars at the Infernihno, Little Hell, at the Pont Negra. And then on Monday took them over to my place in Paricatuba the other side of the Rio Negro. I did not take a lot of pictures. But, it was a very enjoyable day. My mother in law roasted a tambaqui over on the grill, and we went for a nice walk along the river bank. Unfortunately when they came back at the end of the trip I was up in Boa Vista, Roraima on business. I would have like to meet more people.

It was great to see them here. And, they are the first Palm Talk people to go to my place in the country. Which was an honor.

dk

Dan at the Inferninho bar

post-188-12728427483844_thumb.jpg

Donald at the same bar

post-0-12728433808841_thumb.jpg

My son Caio was along that evening.

post-188-12728427320918_thumb.jpg

Dan and Donald at the beach in Paricatuba.

post-188-12728428239528_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jack is in Hawaii, but I wanted to put up some pictures of our awesome trip down the Amazon. Sorry if I get some of the palm names wrong. I hope that other people that were on the boat will add pictures.

Lindsey aka LaHoagie

Our Boat

More please Lindsey :)

I have been waiting for someone from the Pre-tour to post some pics after all the great reports you guys gave us :D

Regards,

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Geonoma stricta

Lovely Geonoma stricta picture Lindsey.

Don, Caio is really growing up fast, what a nice guy...

I can't wait to see Dan's pictures of the whole trip..he has a fantastic camera, very busy all the time...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Ari,

Jack is in Hawaii for work and I barely have a job after taking three weeks off, so no trip to Hawaii for me.

Don,

I wish we could have met up with you. Next time!

Getting pictures ready to post is a little bit harder than I thought, but I will try to my best to get some up this next week.

Here is a picture of a sloth. I enjoyed the animals much more than the palms :)

post-74-12728476824151_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here is one of the many sunsets on the river.

post-74-12728486707586_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Great shots so far Lindsey!

I hope you make a picture of that sunset to hang on your wall at home. Thats fantastic!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh Lindsey, I agree with BS Man, the sunset photo is really amazing. Thanks for the photos.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Awesome shots Lindsay especially the sunset one .

Jack sure gets around - Amazon one week Hawaii the next !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Ari,

Jack is in Hawaii for work and I barely have a job after taking three weeks off, so no trip to Hawaii for me.

Bummer!! I guess 3 weeks was a long time to miss out on work. Scott only took 2 weeks off and the phone rang when we were overseas....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Manicaria sacciferia

post-74-12729305884071_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Euterpe catinga

post-74-12729306987388_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Leopoldinia major

post-74-1272930863747_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

The highlight of the trip for me. Swimming with the pink dolphins.

post-74-12729309955486_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Lindsey,

I wish I had met you when you were here. The Rio Negro is a fabulous place. I imagine that you were in Novo Airão when you went swimming with the botos. My wife used to live there when younger. I look forward to seeing more of you trip. And, I hope that Dan posts some of his pictures. I am sure he has a lot.

Gileno, kids do grow faster than we think. Caio loves the river. When he sees it he always wants to jump in.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

duplicate post, sorry.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The highlight of the trip for me. Swimming with the pink dolphins.

Wow Lindsey, I can see you were correct when you said it was a trip of a lifetime :drool: keep the pics coming.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Lindsey, thanks for all the wonderful photos! That Geonoma stricta is fantastic. I seriously considered going on this trip so I appreciate seeing all the photos and hearing about your adventures.

Don, I can't believe how much Caio has grown!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Lindsey,

I'm enjoying every minute of this fabulous trip. I wish we could of been there also. There's some great species of palms you showed us. The geonoma and Euterpe with the bright color crownshaft,wow! Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here is one of the many sunsets on the river.

A beautiful picture Lindsay

A fantastic sunset

say hi to jack

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

What is that, a Haiku; Colin?

What is that, a Haiku; Colin?

Bill, it's a "thank you" not a "haiku".

Linds, that sunset now bedorns my desktop at work. Is bedorn a word ?, it should be. :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Euterpe catinga

:drool:

Dave, you there ? get Mongo down here now and ask him to fetch one of these for poor wal.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

LaHoagie!!! I didn't know you had it in you. Great to see you in action.

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Geonoma stricta

Lovely Geonoma stricta picture Lindsey.

Don, Caio is really growing up fast, what a nice guy...

I can't wait to see Dan's pictures of the whole trip..he has a fantastic camera, very busy all the time...

Aloha all – Big Mahalos to everyone for the photo postings and narrative. My Kona palm pal Donald Sanders and I had a wonderful adventure in Brazil.

Amazon Don was very generous with his time in showing us around the Manaus area. It was exciting to ride the local ferry boat across the Rio Negro over to Iranduba / Paraticuba, which is something you won’t have the opportunity to experience when that ferry service ends after the new gigantic bridge construction project is completed. Amazon Don’s little piece of paradise in Paraticuba is great – his property sits just behind his mother-in-law’s place, and it has an amazing bluff overview vista of the Rio Negro. Don has a number of great-looking palms and other tropicals already planted there. If your travels ever take you to Manaus be sure to set aside time to spend with Don. After our backyard lunch of freshly grilled fish we walked along the river and enjoyed a cool swim with the local kids who took turns climbing up into a tree and then jumping off into the river below. I think we were the only Caucasians there when Don took us to the busy crowded bars at the Pont Negra area called Infernihno (Little Hell). Great sunset with ice cold beer / definitely not a tourist spot / lots of rowdy young bronze locals, lively music, and a place where it looked like you might be able to buy whatever suits your taste… if you know what I mean – so after that experience I can now say that “I’ve been to Hell and back”, and it was fun – fun – fun.

The ten day Amazon riverboat tour was an experience of a lifetime for me and others – we quickly became an extended family who looked after one another on our daily adventures, including that very long afternoon while our group appeared to be hopelessly lost in dense dark jungle as evening approached. Wonderful meals aboard the Dorinha, great stories by Captain Mo, and of course Andrew was always there to assist in palm identification – who knew there were so many different types of bactris…

The Rio Biennial offered more creature comforts (like hot water to shower in), and it was great to become part of that larger group of palm pals. Brazilians are very friendly and hospitable people – lots of smiles, laughter, liquor, and boy can they eat – those “all you can eat grilled meat meals” were guaranteed gut-busters, and a vegan’s worst nightmare. The Farewell Dinner at Jill’s ranch was spectacular… large open bar… live music… delicious food being barbecued from sunset on into the evening… lovely pool to swim in… opportunities to pose for photos alongside Jill’s Double Coconut palm (Coco de Mer, Lodoicea maldivica) while holding onto a large Coco de Mer seed.

I recently migrated from film format to digital photography, and took my Nikon D-300 digital camera to Brazil. I’ve now downloaded all of my Brazil high quality (large file size) jpg files from my portable Epson P-7000 media storage device onto my home PC. So far I’ve just been scanning and deleting the obviously out-of-focus files. I can already see there are some really nice photos among those thousands of photos I took during the Andrew Henderson “Palms of the Amazon” trip and the Rio Biennial.

I’m grateful for the photography tips that David Salmanowitz ( the link to David’s photo website is www.davidsalmanowitz.com ) and other experienced Nikon digital photographers shared with me during the Biennial, and also appreciate the patience everyone had as I took photo after photo to see what results I got when using different digital camera settings. Taking handheld photos while riding in those motorized long canoe boats was a special challenge for getting shots that were in focus.

Based on feedback and experience from David and others, I plan to purchase and use Adobe Lightroom 3 software for my photo editing and resizing tasks. Lightroom 3 is likely to be released to the public within the next month, so I just bought several Lightroom 2 reference books and will begin to study them. Dean Ouer has generously offered to share his experiences and other tips with me when I am ready to begin to edit and resize my photo files. I look forward to having some edited / resized digital photo images to share with everyone in several months. In the meantime, I will enjoy seeing the many great photos that others are posting.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Dan,

It was a pleasure taking you across the river. My mother in law, Dona Bebe asks about you guys when I see her. From the pictures I have seen of the trip it must have been fun. I was sure it would be. Time on the Rio Negro is always great. I hope you make it back again. There is a saying here that once you drink the water of the Rio Negro you always return.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg