IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Bit Of Jungle!

Mr Cycad

I think the Franklin is entirely within a national park now Peaches!

There is some prime Nikau country up the West Coast though - wet, wild and mild (all things are relative of course....).

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Never mind dear, there's always Irishtown or Ulverstone !! :rolleyes:

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Kurt, that's a wonderful piece of land you have there. All the best with your Daintree endeavours. Keep us posted too.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Kurt,

That is a beautiful area that I have been to twice. I know some areas do not have electricity and some areas you cannot use fertilizers. Tell us more of life there.

I have a Pink Evodia (easier to say than Euodia) and the older it gets the better it looks.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Are you familiar with TNQ Palms nursery at Julatten?

Hi Jonathan. Yes, I have been there once before. I'd love to have another acreage down there!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

OOOH You greedy Possum.....can I interest you in some land on the Moreton Bay Islands ?

Peachy :D

27.35 south.

Kurt,

That is a beautiful area that I have been to twice. I know some areas do not have electricity and some areas you cannot use fertilizers. Tell us more of life there.

I have a Pink Evodia (easier to say than Euodia) and the older it gets the better it looks.

Hi Jerry.

I'm not sure about the fertiliser issue, but the Council seems pretty content spraying poison everywhere. Yes, your right, we don't have electricity off the grid. I like that.

Cheers, Kurt

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Are you going to put in solar?? Now, it is getting complicated... :).

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More replantation action:

Araucaria bidwillii, propagated from seed from my brother in-law's property.

DSCF8298.jpg

Stenocarpus sinuatus - Firewheel tree

DSCF8295.jpg

Kurt

Initially, no. A little generator will suffice in the short term. Low impact is the go, and I don't really need much power (fridge and few lights only).

Cheers, Kurt

Kurt

Some more backyard shots...

Big old female Lepidozamia hopei

DSC03934.jpg

The 'Grove'

DSC03822-1.jpg

Massive Xanthostemon Chrysanthus with another Lepidozamia hopei

DSC03831.jpg

Kurt

Initially, no. A little generator will suffice in the short term. Low impact is the go, and I don't really need much power (fridge and few lights only).

Cheers, Kurt

Oh Kurt, how to instantly change my idea of heaven into a version of the 'hotter'place. I am afraid hot water, airconditioning, dishwasher, tv, steam cleaner etc etc are among life essentials. I cant understand why they still sell land without power connected in this day and age.

Power dependant Peachy

27.35 south.

Oh Kurt, how to instantly change my idea of heaven into a version of the 'hotter'place. I am afraid hot water, airconditioning, dishwasher, tv, steam cleaner etc etc are among life essentials. I cant understand why they still sell land without power connected in this day and age.

Power dependant Peachy

Indeed, its not for everyone. The government has recently commissioned another report to look at putting power over the range. Not sure how that's going to go and not worried either way really.

Edited by Mr Cycad

Kurt

DSC03934.jpg

The 'Grove'

DSC03822-1.jpg

DSC03831.jpg

Holy Cow! My spindly little Golden Penda will someday be as massive as that buttressed trunk giant?!?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Holy Cow! My spindly little Golden Penda will someday be as massive as that buttressed trunk giant?!?

Yes, one day!

Kurt

Here is a nice Blue Quandong [elaeocarpus grandis] on the edge of the clearing.

DSC03640.jpg

Kurt

Some Daintree Rainforest facts...

Oldest rainforest in the world (older than the Amazon Rainforest) and largest rainforest in Australia!

World Heritage Listed in 1988!!

430 recorded species of birdlife!!!

Home to some of my favourite plants (palm, cycad & fern)!!!!

Kurt

awesome block kurt! nice part of qldsmilie.gif

Thanks Harry!

Kurt

What a fantastic back garden, Hope the house building and garden planting go well Kurt.

thanks for the pictures

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

What a fantastic back garden, Hope the house building and garden planting go well Kurt.

thanks for the pictures

colin

Cheers Colin!

Kurt

Fantastic work you are doing Kurt ,recreating the rainforestwere that was cleared!

I did the same here on my property of 5 hectares with 2 hectares intact forest and +- 1 hectare degraded that I replanted, also with Araucaria angustifolia and lot of rarer native trees. Choose for the rarest trees!

Congratulations!!! I enjoyed to see your progress!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

What an absolute slice of heaven...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

What an absolute slice of heaven...

Daryl

Thanks Daryl - exactly my thoughts

Kurt

Nice smelling little orchid growing wild on a tree. Cymbidium madidum?

DSC04099.jpg

Kurt

Nice little Licuala ramsayi growing on the edge of the clearing/forest.

DSC04087.jpg

Kurt

:drool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Beautiful place Kurt, and lovely Bowenias, Lepidozamia and Licuala. Keep us updated with new pictures please...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hey Kurt. Do you have the book "Growing Australian tropical plants"by Radke and Sankowsky? It is very informative about how to create a rainforest area with native trees. I only have castanospermum, stenocarpus (thought the flowers would be more overwhelming :( ), acmena, brachychiton, syzguim, grevillea and schefflera. They all perform very well here. The book helped me out a lot in spacing, mulching etc. Have fun recreating nature.

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Thanks Gileno.

Jason - no I don't, but I'm familiar with Yuruga Nursery. They've got an awesome setup. I've bought a few trees from them. I mostly collect seeds and grow them myself (Archontophoenix alexandrae, Castanospermum australe, Cerbera floribunda, Normanbya normanbyi etc ), as that's most of the fun for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure it will all regenerate itself in no time (yay, no more grass to mow). You wouldn't believe how fast the mulch breaks down here. Actually getting another 8 tonne truck load on Monday. It never ends...

Cheers, Kurt

Kurt

This picture was taken a few years ago now. Just one of the many cut-off drains we dug for the overland stormwater. 300mm can fall overnight in the wet season.

DSC03363.jpg

Kurt

Bec with a big Bowenia spectabilis

DSC03530.jpg

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Winter update.

Still hasn't been below 20 degrees, yet... We haven't had much rain for the last 2 months, although it has been overcast and rainy the previous 3 days.

Melicope elleryana - Pink Euodia

DSC04974.jpg

Normanbya normanbyi - both were planted at the same time from the original batch!

DSC04975.jpg

Kurt

Some ferny shots...

DSC02527.jpg

DSC03959.jpg

DSC03960.jpg

Kurt

Lantanas. Yuk. I haven't been able to destroy one just across the fence in my nieighbor's yard (in fairness, I can reach it easier than he can). It gets whacked several times a year. I need to try herbicide. We have a couple of nice native species, but the nasty, pestiferous cultivated L. camara hybridizes with the native L. depressa. L. involucrata is safe for planting:

Institute for Regional Conservation

Gosh, we lack big birds. The largest thing around is the wild turkey, a close relative of the sandwich-meat bird.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 3 weeks later...

DSC03934.jpg

The 'Grove'

DSC03822-1.jpg

DSC03831.jpg

You have an AMAZING PROPERTY :)

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

You have an AMAZING PROPERTY :)

Thank you very much indeed.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

Some updated photo's from the weekend just gone... Enjoy.

So far this year, it's been quite wet (after the worst dry season ever last year). Hopefully mother nature keeps it up. Should be an awesome growing season!!!

Seed grown Normanbya normanbyi grove

DSC_0440.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae & another Normanbya normanbyi (can you make out the runt Black Palm under the old leaf on the Alex - these were all planted at the same time).

DSC_0438.jpg

Tall tree in the back yard been strangled by some fig.

DSC_0360.jpg

Kurt

Nice photos Kurt...I wish we had your climate!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

More photo's.

Small Lepidozamia hopei.

DSC_0369.jpg

Canopy shot inclusive of 3 different native palm species.

DSC_0372.jpg

Massive tree fern (Cyanthea rebeccae) popping out of the canopy.

DSC_0393.jpg

Kurt