IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fantastic post tour with Harri Lorenzi

Alberto

Little Laelia sp growing on the rocks

post-465-12726366577041_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Red Vellozia sp

post-465-12726367842601_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Orange Gonphrena sp.

On our campos vegetation here in south Brazil we have the pink Gonphrena macrocephala.

It was very intersting for me to see the similarities and differences between the ´´campos de altitude´´ in Southeast Brazil and the campos from south Brazil. I found Allagoptaera campestris, Epidendrum elipticum. and a lot of species growing in both habitats...

post-465-12726370108659_thumb.jpg

Trunk of a S.glaucescens covered with a bromelia.

post-465-12726373419774_thumb.jpg

There were collorfull liquens growing on all the rocks.

There were collorfull liquens growing on all the rocks.

post-465-12726377687361_thumb.jpg

More

post-465-12726379788225_thumb.jpg

I cannot have enough...:mrlooney:

post-465-12726384054142_thumb.jpg

El Hoagie with a beauty of a S.glaucescens

Great. Now Jack's gonna want my S.glaucescens too. :blink:

Actually, I bought a 1-leaf seedling S. glaucescens from Jeff Marcus about 6 or 7 years ago. It's probably large enough to plant at this point!

Alberto - the palm from the first stop is S. gouveiana.

Cool! My little one (probably 5 gal size) has overwintered out side for at least 3 years now...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

...And most important of all are all the wonderfull people everybody met .

Here is my colleague,cardiologist Dr.Felix Montes from Mexico. A happy,kind,interested person. Um novo amigo!

post-465-12726391615151_thumb.jpg

These are great photos Alberto, thanks for posting. :)

Jack Sayers, is there any place you haven't been ? :D

post-465-12726379788225.jpg

post-465-12724870940968.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The very enthousiast curator of Inhotim...I forgot his name. can somebody help me? (Fernando?......?) showing all the rare species that were rescued from the wild from places destinated to mines etc

post-465-12726621160946_thumb.jpg

All (from Kona-grande amigo!)and all the folks are photographing like mad the rare dwarf Syagrus species.

It´s not a Cyrtostachis, but i would prefer this in my garden (......it´s to hot for a Cyrtostachis here :mrlooney: )

post-465-12726624757965_thumb.jpg

Gileno drooling!!!!:drool::drool::drool:(Um abraço para você e Bárbara! Obrigado por tudo!)

post-465-12726626468227_thumb.jpg

Gileno drooling!!!!:drool::drool::drool:(Um abraço para você e Bárbara! Obrigado por tudo!)

Classic pic Alberto , you got any joeys back home Gileno ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I love those cloud shots Alberto!

My Copernicia alba is badly burned from the cold but should be fine. It's nice to see what it may return to one day.

Yes,I also like them. I hope your will grow fine now in the spring. I have 12 planted at the side of a pool. I hope this winter will be not to cold like you had in USA!!!

Jack Sayers, is there any place you haven't been ? :D

I have not been to your new garden yet... Still waiting for the invite in the mail.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Alberto,

I really enjoyed seeing the photos you took of Syagrua glaucescens in habitat. It looks like a tough palm, and I see you collected pollen. What do you plan to cross it with?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

I really enjoyed seeing the photos you took of Syagrua glaucescens in habitat. It looks like a tough palm, and I see you collected pollen. What do you plan to cross it with?

Dick

Thanks!

I will tery it with My Butias and also on queen palm.

Does anyone know how much cold an S. glaucescens could take?

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Meu novo amigo brasileiro, Alberto, obrigado pela partilha de tempo juntos durante a viagem Post.

During the Post Trip we especially got to know and share time with Alberto. He usually practiced his Enlish with me and I tried to answer using my limited Brazilian Portuguese language knowledge, sometimes having to mix in some Spanish and/or English to get the full meaning across! Thanks for sharing some great photos and memories of a great IPS Biennial trip 2010.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Oi, Al!!

Também foi um prazer poder conhecer você e sua esposa!!!

Posso dizer que tenho amigos havaianos agora!!

Hi Al ! It was also a pleasure to meet you and your wife!

I now also can say that I have hawaian friends!):)

The very enthousiast curator of Inhotim...I forgot his name. can somebody help me? (Fernando?......?) showing all the rare species that were rescued from the wild from places destinated to mines etc

Hi Alberto,

I think his name is Eduardo and the palm is a Syagrus deflexa (wonderful)!!!!

This photo is a huge S. deflexa in habitat.

post-2078-12737765045057_thumb.jpg

Muito obrigado,Kellen!

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic photos Alberto. I was so delighted to see the Serra dos Órgãos above the clouds in the morning when we took off...I couldn't get the camera to work...your pictures are supreme.

Here are a few more from Inhotim's Park, I very special place for me...

post-157-12750968472834_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750969136532_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Jerry jdapalms and the cycads...

Arrival.

post-157-12750972170036_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750972881324_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750973534361_thumb.jpg

Phoenix row...Syagrus calling...

Eduardo and his explanation of the Inhotim Project.

post-157-12750974694942_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750975469271_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750976284686_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow a few more...I'll have a great palm related activity in the morning...Boa noite a todos...

post-157-12750978373474_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750979127109_thumb.jpg

post-157-12750980203721_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Who made photos of the historical city of Diamantina during our walk to downtown at night?

Thank you Alberto and Gileno for those wonderful pictures!!

You had a good time at lorenzi place I see!!

It was a plesure to met you in rio.

Regards from Uruguay

Gastón