IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sítio Burle Marx is worth it´s own topic!

Alberto

Later I´ll upload some pics.

Post yours here.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Later I´ll upload some pics.

Post yours here.

post-465-12724841835416_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Beautifull young Coriphas at the entrance

post-465-12724843073456_thumb.jpg

Alameda with the old ´´pau´ferro´´ trees.

post-465-12724844152591_thumb.jpg

Fig at the side of the ´´pau-ferro alameda´´

post-465-12724845121764_thumb.jpg

Two branches of the ´´pau-ferro´´ tree ´´melted´´ to one trunk.

post-465-12724846659247_thumb.jpg

more

post-465-12724848369366_thumb.jpg

´Spanish group´ in front of the chappel with big Encephalartos sp.

post-465-12724851173749_thumb.jpg

Burle Marx´s house

post-465-12724852461182_thumb.jpg

Pond near the house

post-465-1272485416977_thumb.jpg

Pond near the house

post-465-12724857020944_thumb.jpg

More

post-465-12724860571585_thumb.jpg

Profusion of all collor bromeliads

post-465-12724861885328_thumb.jpg

More

post-465-12724864215904_thumb.jpg

In the house

post-465-12724865668978_thumb.jpg

Difficult to capture the atmosphere and beauty of this place!!!:mrlooney::rolleyes::)

(The battery of my camera gave up at ,in my eyes, the most beautyfull part of the garden : the ponds below :rage:

post-465-12724866668585_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

Thanks for the pictures. I have never been to Burle Marx´s place, maybe someday. He is my favorite landscape designer. I met him personally in Miami at the bar of Joes Stonecrab many years ago. It was such an honor to talk to him. His talent marks Rio de Janeiro greatly. He was truly a Brazilian treasure.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Alberto, wonderful pictures! Thank you!

Were any of the "Spanish group" Palmtalk members, of the English or Spanish versions?

(Its neat to put faces to names)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a fantastic place, great selections of plants

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Difficult to capture the atmosphere and beauty of this place!!!:mrlooney::rolleyes::)

(The battery of my camera gave up at ,in my eyes, the most beautyfull part of the garden : the ponds below :rage:

Does anyone know the name of the water plant?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon

From post 16?

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon

Alberto, I completely agree with you that Sitio Burle Marx is worth its own topic! This was a definite highlight for me, seeing the way he laid out the garden beds with huge mass plantings of succulents and bromeliads, and making superb use of the sloping site, natural boulders, and natural water sources, capturing views in all directions. My favorite was the pond near the house with the stone wall and columns salvaged from demolished buildings in Rio -- it felt like a Mayan ruin, but was completely contemporary. Several of our group also walked through the philodendron shadehouse after the tour, and it was every bit as spectacular as the gardens. The concrete walls must have been 20 or more feet high, and the area covered was very expansive, I couldn't begin to guess the total square footage. The concrete walled beds were about 2 ft. deep and maybe 12 to 15 ft. wide, and perhaps 30 ft long, with not a single brown spot or diseased leaf in the entire mass of plants. Absolutely incredible!

Your batteries may have died, but I did not even have a working camera that day, much to my regret. I hope others will post their photos here -- there were certainly plenty of elaborate cameras among the IPS that day. Please post your photos!!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Regards

Stephen

Looks like Trapa natans.

Simon

Alberto,

Thanks for the pictures. I have never been to Burle Marx´s place, maybe someday. He is my favorite landscape designer. I met him personally in Miami at the bar of Joes Stonecrab many years ago. It was such an honor to talk to him. His talent marks Rio de Janeiro greatly. He was truly a Brazilian treasure.

dk

He was the best landscape designer anywhere, ever, for my money!

Wish I'd been there... :(

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Groucho's place had a nice garden too you know

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Regards

Stephen

It's Ludwigia sedioides

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

Sitio Burle Marx was an amazing garden to say the least. I will never look at Sanseveria the same way again.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

..............I will never look at Sanseveria the same way again.

Ray

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes,that is true!!!

I want more pics,specially from the places that i could not photograph!:rolleyes:

Alberto,

Thank you for the great pictures of the Bule Marx Garden. I have been thinking of his style and want to get some or one book of his to show me some of his work in other places. I have some pictures of our visit to his place but do not have the know-how to put them in this forum.

We love what we saw in Brazil and enjoyed your company the last 4 days.

Palm Student

Suzanne Rowlands

Alberto,

Thank you for the great pictures of the Bule Marx Garden. I have been thinking of his style and want to get some or one book of his to show me some of his work in other places. I have some pictures of our visit to his place but do not have the know-how to put them in this forum.

We love what we saw in Brazil and enjoyed your company the last 4 days.

Palm Student

It´s a shame you cannot upload your shots!

It was for me also a pleasure to meet you all!

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

That is the Water Chestnut or Trapa bicornis, common in gardens here in the Philippines. It has seeds shaped like the horns of a bull.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

That is the Water Chestnut or Trapa bicornis, common in gardens here in the Philippines. It has seeds shaped like the horns of a bull.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

Maybe Trapa bicornis is similar to this plant, BUT this is a brazilian (amazonian) plant wich name ScottZona posted above: Ludwigia sedioides

http://www.google.com.br/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iepa.ap.gov.br/probio/banco_img/imagensg/bot14.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.iepa.ap.gov.br/probio/banco_img/imagem_bot.html&usg=__-wtZS-Vtk2r5nHKnl73cQEDHtJs=&h=480&w=640&sz=75&hl=pt-BR&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3jpOLau9hfq_UM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLudwigia%2Bsedioides%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dpt-BR%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

• 2 weeks later...

More photos from Sitio Roberto Burle Marx

The green bus arrives. It's really hot, so people are looking for shade. It's obvious from the first look around that this place is different from anything else we've seen. There's a lot of canopy, and the garden is very neatly and spaciously laid out and meticulously maintained.

post-232-12748277107139_thumb.jpg post-232-12748277426035_thumb.jpg

post-232-12748277660226_thumb.jpg post-232-12748277944681_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

While waiting, some of us walked up a path to some ponds fed by water pouring out of some boulders and we found this dramatic landscape.

post-232-12748280792026_thumb.jpg post-232-1274828101504_thumb.jpg

Our group is herded toward the reception building, some eating their bagged lunch by this sculpture.

post-232-12748281296599_thumb.jpg post-232-1274828149476_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

Our guide... . . . . . . . .

post-232-12748285594998_thumb.jpg

Slow ascent of ramped walkway lined with varieties of sanseveria and agave, lots of cameras at work. Eventually the path leads to a level grass area below a chapel and the house. To the right are cycads, palms, and sculpture.

post-232-12748285783189_thumb.jpg post-232-12748285977548_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

Our guide talks to Anders Lindstrom and Al Bredeson as they walk up the steps to the chapel. Bo and Karolyn Lundkvist take a break out of the sun with Geoniora Oliveira (standing) and Robert Kenneth.

post-232-12748289351746_thumb.jpg post-232-1274828955036_thumb.jpg

Across a small garden is the verandah running the length of the house.

post-232-12748289966745_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

Between the house and chapel at the back of the courtyard garden was this arched portico lined with hand-painted tiles.

post-232-12748301468104_thumb.jpg post-232-12748301643062_thumb.jpg

Back on the veranda, you can see the collection of natural artifacts and art objects.

post-232-12748301825853_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

Some of these fantastic creatures bear an amazing resemblance to some of the IPS visitors. I'll leave you to guess who is who.

post-232-12748304551919_thumb.jpg post-232-12748304756923_thumb.jpg post-232-12748304951462_thumb.jpg

post-232-12748305194744_thumb.jpg post-232-12748305430991_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey

Down below the veranda at the end of the lawn was this pond, a refreshing sight on a hot day.

post-232-12748308178955_thumb.jpg

post-232-12748308428026_thumb.jpg

Alan Brickey