IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seller ranking - do they ship international?

Z4Devil

Dear all,

have read a lot in the Palm Exchange area. Palmtalk is an international forum, I guess it could be helpfully for international potential customers to flag the listed sellers with this information.

Not sure if there is a software setting available to add such a special field but it would be great.

Thanks a lot and regards, Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Verena, I think John in Andalucia sells palms internationally. I have seen postings by Kosta, from Greece, who gets many of his palms from the Canary Islands. Also, I think Rafael gets his palms from someone in another country. Maybe you could PM these members and ask for information. I am sure they would be happy to share with you.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Verena, I think John in Andalucia sells palms internationally. I have seen postings by Kosta, from Greece, who gets many of his palms from the Canary Islands. Also, I think Rafael gets his palms from someone in another country. Maybe you could PM these members and ask for information. I am sure they would be happy to share with you.

Peachy

Peachy, buying and selling plants within the European Union is simple and straightforward. I think Verena is referring to overseas sellers who ship worldwide; The Americas, Asia, Australasia etc. I don't sell plants internationally because there's no demand for the seedlings I grow. Shipping within the EU is not strictly considered international these days, even though I've sold to customers in over 13 countries.

Peachy, yes I know this of John. But only for the reason I watch his postings. In the Exchange area there are mentioned such a lot of sellers - impossible to know all of their conditions. ;)

Yes John, absolutely right - exactly this I meant. :) On the one hand many European palm friends like to buy palms overseas because you have a significant better range of palms ... and otherwise it cannot be excluded that some customer overseas are interested in special European palms.

Hence, I would say this information in the profile of the seller could be a helpful orientation for all.

Best regards, Verena

If I recall correctly, Dean said that the seller could send him what ever information they wanted included and he would add that to the first post. Perhaps some of the sellers aren't aware of this.

Another option would be for Dean to edit the Topic Description to include a relevant tag such as "INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" - since the majority of those listed only have the topic title filled in. Obviously, this requires either the seller to contact Dean, or in some cases the information can be found on the seller's website.

When the Grower Ratings section began, in order to write the first post for a vendor, I visited their website. I'm happy to do that again, or email certain vendors if it's not clear whether they ship internationally. I also think that if the question could be posed as a poll, the PalmTalk, "customer pool" could also answer the same question. The only drawback is that the forum poll system wouldn't allow for enough vendors to be listed, where "question (of which only 3 are allowed)=vendor". I can host a poll if needed, as with previous polls I've done, such as the "Worldwide Survey of Palm Species". For the purpose of collecting the data for Dean to add to each seller, this could be posted as a "sticky" with the title: "VENDORS: Who ships internationally?" The poll would give a simple yes or no vote to be completed by anyone who thinks they know the answer! Obviously the stats will speak for themselves. It could turn into an interesting topic in itself, since some vendors are very specific about where they ship too.

Another option would be for Dean to edit the Topic Description to include a relevant tag such as "INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" - since the majority of those listed only have the topic title filled in. Obviously, this requires either the seller to contact Dean, or in some cases the information can be found on the seller's website.

When the Grower Ratings section began, in order to write the first post for a vendor, I visited their website. I'm happy to do that again, or email certain vendors if it's not clear whether they ship internationally. I also think that if the question could be posed as a poll, the PalmTalk, "customer pool" could also answer the same question. The only drawback is that the forum poll system wouldn't allow for enough vendors to be listed, where "question (of which only 3 are allowed)=vendor". I can host a poll if needed, as with previous polls I've done, such as the "Worldwide Survey of Palm Species". For the purpose of collecting the data for Dean to add to each seller, this could be posted as a "sticky" with the title: "VENDORS: Who ships internationally?" The poll would give a simple yes or no vote to be completed by anyone who thinks they know the answer! Obviously the stats will speak for themselves. It could turn into an interesting topic in itself, since some vendors are very specific about where they ship too.

No more words needed, John. Simply perfect and exactly described what I meant and what was my intention. :greenthumb:

Just to make it clear: this rating is a very helpful thing, especially when we order for the first time and do not have any information. Okay, we can visit the website and search for relevant shipping details ... but that wastes time. Better it is to include this information before we have to collect data.

I assume many international users are registered here for the reason of international orders and sources.

I would filter the sellers with the help of this specification and go directly to their homepage. The order process would be very comfortable.

Thanks for patience and understanding,

Verena

FYI ---

- Growers do not add themselves to the Grower Ratings. In fact, many are probably unaware they are there, and many don't even want to be there.

- Growers can list themselves in the For Sale section, or in the Share-a-Site section, and include any information about themselves that they wish.

- Unfortunately, I have a feeling that some growers may ship internationally, but do so illegally, so would not wish this fact advertised. This is something we can not monitor, regulate, or enforce, and have a disclaimer to that effect. Only those with the proper permits, etc. would even be willing to promote the fact they do so. And many may only ship to certain locations due to the procedures or paperwork necessary. There are so many variables, that I would think each prospective buyer will need to contact each grower with their location and types of plants requested to be shipped. And I would hope that inquiries would be conducted, and assurances made, that such transactions are conducted in accordance to any local and international laws.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.