IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rio Biennial

Kathryn

Dang, looks like a missed a good one :(:angry: Keep those pics coming!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Thanks for the excellent photos and sorry for the interuption, but what is the ID on #32? Me like!

I liked that one too, but you'll have to wait for a more educated palmnut to identify it. I'm not very good with the more tropical palms.

Interesting shots, Kathryn. Especially like post #34 with that amazing backdrop!

I feel a little funny posting so many pictures of Craig and myself, but we don't take too many non-people pictures any more. I have so many pictures of palms and great views that they begin to look the same. I like to see people.

Dang, looks like a missed a good one :(:angry: Keep those pics coming!

It was Bren - and they just keep getting better. Craig and I are already looking forward to the interim meeting in Spain - it's not until fall 2011 so we have to wait another 18 months! Everyone should start saving for the Thailand biennial. The beginnings of the schedule were presented at the board meeting in Rio and it is really shaping up to be a great biennial. It is tentatively planned for fall 2012.

When we got to the Burle Marx garden Tuesday afternoon, we were told to follow the girl in the red and white shirt and to stay close. Craig took the instructions literally. Notice the cans of Skol that will appear in a lot of photos.

post-158-12723842877229_thumb.jpg post-158-12723843150635_thumb.jpg

yes,amazing shots! looks like everyone was having a blast(especially ms.hoagie!)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Foxy K,

Thanks for the pics. I collected tons of the euterpe edulis seeds in the "floresta de Tijuca" in Rio. They were growing everywhere :drool: . I filled my shirt pocket with them (40 seeds?) and just as I was leaving the forest I smellt a jackfruit, climbed the tree to get the fruit and on my way down all of the seeds fell out of my pocket onto the forest floor where I couldn´t find them any more :( . Just another one of my adventures in Rio :rolleyes: In the meantime I have lots growing here at home but there is nother like seeing them in habitat.

I too am sad that I wasn´t able to go to rio this year. Spain sounds good (a lot cheaper too)and I hope to see some of you there.

Abraços

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Here's the real reason why the Biennials are such popular events. The truth finally revealed! :D

post-22-12723969293295_thumb.jpg

post-22-12723969349488_thumb.jpg

post-22-12723969395235_thumb.jpg

post-22-12723969451134_thumb.jpg

post-22-12723969529807_thumb.jpg

post-22-12723969584448_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

We all had dinner at a great restaurant Tuesday evening, exactly one week ago. (Sorry, forgot the name - maybe someone remembers?). Our son André (biotechguy here on PalmTalk) is at the table, on the right. Standing behind him is Anders Lindström of Nong Nooch Botanical Garden in Thailand, and on the extreme right Jack Sayers (elHoagie). Visible at the table in the background is Kim.

post-22-1272411042753_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here's the real reason why the Biennials are such popular events. The truth finally revealed! :D

Ahhhhh!!! I missed you guys! So many familiar faces. Of course Kate and Craig, the Glocks, Andersons, Bo and Karolyn,Jack and Lindsey, the Norris's from Texas, Ray from Tampa, the Burgers,Jerri and David, Kim from Cali, and so many others! Sorry for leaving others out.

The hot tub scenes brings back great biennial memories. I look forward to lots and lots more pictures.

Thanks Kate!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for adding some other photos Bo. This isn't an exclusive thread; others are welcome to add pictures - especially of the great people who attended. I didn't have my camera for the welcome dinner when we sat with our new friends from New Zealand. Don't know if any of them are on the message board but hopefully we will hear from them. I also didn't have my camera at dinner the next night when we sat with Jim and Judy, Judy and Paul, and Ray from Tampa. Anyone have some pictures from the board meeting?

Now for some pictures from the beach in front of our hotel.

Surprisingly, the beach (sand and water) was very similar to the beaches of the Alabama gulf coast and the Florida panhandle, except for the mountains behind us and large rock formations in the water (which can be seen in the distance in this first picture but will be shown closer up in future pictures). Also shown is my favorite vendor on the beach (more of these to come also - does anyone want some corn?). The surf was up this day.

post-158-12724126383185_thumb.jpg post-158-12724127139228_thumb.jpg post-158-12724128176424_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting pics, Kathryn. Brazil is a bit expensive for us... and a bit far from the kids... Thailand on the other hand.... hhmm, anyone volunteer to babysit??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ahhhhh!!! I missed you guys! So many familiar faces. Of course Kate and Craig, the Glocks, Andersons, Bo and Karolyn,Jack and Lindsey, the Norris's from Texas, Ray from Tampa, the Burgers,Jerri and David, Kim from Cali, and so many others! Sorry for leaving others out.

The hot tub scenes brings back great biennial memories. I look forward to lots and lots more pictures.

Thanks Kate!

Jeff

We missed you and Andrea too! Looking forward to seeing you both in Thailand - and hopefully a lot of others who didn't make this biennial.

I would love to live in one of these condos on the beach - might be a good way to spend a year during retirement. The second picture shows the rocks a little better, and as I zoom in for the third picture you might notice that there are palms on the rocks.

post-158-12724131724994_thumb.jpg post-158-12724132005781_thumb.jpg post-158-12724133656239_thumb.jpg

I purchased a few things sitting in my lounge chair. Here is an earing/jewelry vendor. I found some butterfly earrings that I wanted, but didn't get a chance to get them.

post-158-12724146494605_thumb.jpg

I was really surprised to see this corn vendor and all the people that lined up to get some. After taking the corn from the hot water, he dipped it in a salt water solution, put it in a corn husk holder and lathered it with butter using a corn husk brush.

post-158-12724147737053_thumb.jpg post-158-12724148128149_thumb.jpg

I was tempted but passed. Craig got some meat-pies and a tattoo from some other vendors. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the one who was selling red beach balls - there were lots of them in a net balanced on his head. I got a wrap from this one.

post-158-12724151108037_thumb.jpg

After we left the beach, we went to the pool on the roof of the hotel. I took some shots back down at the beach. Notice the rocks with palms in the second picture. The third picture shows the hotel's white parasols and lounge chairs and a close up in the fourth.

post-158-12724153767651_thumb.jpg post-158-12724153990599_thumb.jpg post-158-12724154214497_thumb.jpg post-158-12724156247164_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more people shots with some palms as well, from the Burle Marx garden and others. :)

Kim and others arrive at Burle Marx garden

post-3764-1272417286013_thumb.jpg

Kims brother amid the stilts

post-3764-12724174223105_thumb.jpg

Gileno at the Botanical Gardens

post-3764-12724174998742_thumb.jpg

:D

post-3764-12724175786326_thumb.jpg

Any I D's on this one ?

post-3764-12724176685459_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I'm sad and happy at the same time to be reading this thread...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looks like all had a good time, thanks for sharing the photos.

Great exotic spot.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

On Wednesday evening, a group of us planned to go to a Samba club that Gileno recommended. Here’s part of the group about to depart. I still hadn’t figured out what was set wrong on my camera so my evening pictures still aren't that great. I guess I should not have laughed at Bo when he was trying to figure out his new camera when I've had mine for several years.

post-158-12724501497984_thumb.jpg post-158-12724501806472_thumb.jpg

Judy and Paul were our unfortunate partners in the cab ride to the club. Clyde didn't have a clue as to where he was taking us. At least he stopped for a bathroom break and beer run during the 2.5 hours he showed us around Rio.

post-158-12724506739952_thumb.jpg

The club was amazing. It was an old antique shop and still had lots of neat items around. Craig thought this guy was thirsty.

post-158-12724507819904_thumb.jpg

I didn't take many indoor pictures. Hopefully others can share theirs - including some of us dancing. Carletta tore up the dance floor!

Paul was happy that he didn't have to ride the hump!

post-158-12724520318367_thumb.jpg

Our driver definitely knew where he was going and got us there fast. At one point I realized that he was holding a cup in one hand and eating with a spoon in the other hand. Here he is just drinking from the cup with the spoon in it.

post-158-12724521463838_thumb.jpg

We all had dinner at a great restaurant Tuesday evening, exactly one week ago. (Sorry, forgot the name - maybe someone remembers?). Our son André (biotechguy here on PalmTalk) is at the table, on the right. Standing behind him is Anders Lindström of Nong Nooch Botanical Garden in Thailand, and on the extreme right Jack Sayers (elHoagie). Visible at the table in the background is Kim.

That's Michael (FM MBPalms) getting the sweet liquor poured over his head.