IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Postcards from Brazil

Kim

Just a few teaser photos -- we missed you, wish you had been there!

post-216-12722237125589_thumb.jpg post-216-12722237687803_thumb.jpg

Geonoma in Serra dos Órgãos National Park

post-216-12722237335791_thumb.jpg post-216-12722241480392_thumb.jpg

Palms in Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden, founded 1808.

There were lots of outstanding photographers present -- please post a few postcards from Brazil!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Postcards? Wish you were here? Yes it was lovely, thank you.laugh.gif Just kidding, Kim! Geonoma gamiova, I presume?

amazing stuff!!! cant wait to see the rest!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

A few more from Rio :)

post-3764-12723456917089_thumb.jpg

post-3764-12723457900659_thumb.jpg post-3764-12723460324035_thumb.jpg

post-3764-12723458690858_thumb.jpg post-3764-12723459516306_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

These are lovely. I knew I should have gone a few years ago when I had the chance.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Flowering Corypha in Flamengo Park...

post-216-12724167372143_thumb.jpg post-216-12724167581876_thumb.jpg

A view from the park...

post-216-12724169767358_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Going up teleferico Pão de Açúcar...

post-216-12724178694235_thumb.jpg

post-216-12724176940587_thumb.jpg

View from the top, lots of morros make for dramatic scenery... (say MO-hos)

post-216-12724176711572_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

No chance to beat Kim`s perfect photography...

We`ve just arrived in São Paulo after saying goodbye to the other friends who are at the airport right now after a wonderful post tour to Minas Gerais and Campinas, with Harri Lorenzi for these last three days. Jack and Lindsey had to catch the 8 PM flight to Toronto so they missed the final moments at the Plantarum Institute. Barbara loved each moment of these last 10 days and meeting you all in such happy occasions will represent great memories we won`t ever forget.

The post tour was fantastic too. I can`t wait to download our ~6000 pictures and select a few to post here when we come back to Recife next week. Thanks everyone for making our first biennial a remarkable experience...Ohhh, and the palms...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

A special abraço to Kate and Craig, the perfect samba dancers who almost got lost in the tunnels of Rio...Happiness is the word to define you 2, anytime. Take care, we enjoyed a lot your company.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Great, great stuff.

Yep. I gotta make it to Thailand.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I am glad to see the event went well and love the pictures. I thought about you all last week and wish I had been there. I actually was close as I went to São Paulo on Wednesday and Thursday. But, that was business not pleasure. I hope to make the next one altough it will be a lot further away.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Kim, Kathryn, Bo, Gileno et al - Thank you so much for sharing your photos of what must have been a very special biennial. I (we) have been waiting expectantly for the photos. Bo, congratulations to you, the IPS, organizing committee and the hosts for putting together these events. As Jeff Searle said recently "If I have to crawl to Thailand ......"

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I remember that, it's the smiley picture Bo.

Bo's camera has this interesting setting - the picture will be taken will all persons are smiling. Craig and I went back and forth with one of us smiling and then the other. It finally snapped the picture when we both smiled!

I wonder if you can get that feature for open eyes.

I remember that, it's the smiley picture Bo.

Bo's camera has this interesting setting - the picture will be taken will all persons are smiling. Craig and I went back and forth with one of us smiling and then the other. It finally snapped the picture when we both smiled!

I wonder if you can get that feature for open eyes.

I've read about this technology. They use it at one Japanese railway - quote: "to check if the smile is wide enough to infuse the customer with the required feeling of warmth." mrlooney.gif

Funny thing is, I found out by a coincidence. About a week before the trip I bought this cute little Nikon Coolpix S4000 camera. Since I have an aversion to reading instructions I just started using the camera. On our first full day, Sunday April 18th, our bus broke down so our group were stuck for a couple of hours at this location out in the Brazilian forest. We spent the time socializing and eating our lunch, and I took a bunch of photos. I must have accidentally touched a different setting because all of a sudden the camera began to take photos when I pointed it at someone. Very strange and I couldn't figure out why. Fortunately our son, André, was close by, and being the technologically savvy guy he is, he showed me a setting that says "smile timer". When you activate this setting and turn the camera in the direction of someone who is smiling, believe it or not, the camera, after a time delay of about six seconds, will take a photo! How amazing is that! :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

In the Jardim Botânico do Rio de Janeiro.

post-465-1272489691567_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Royals

post-465-12724899146852_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Pão-de-açúcar (Sugar Loaf)

post-465-12724901281611_thumb.jpg

´Vitória-régias´ in the pond.

post-465-12724904765821_thumb.jpg

Other side

post-465-12724906501944_thumb.jpg