IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone Confusion

JASON M

I was looking at my Avg. low temps for the winter months, and the lowest avg. low was 10.... WTF? I thought I was a 5B, but now I could try some palms outside, eh? I could also record the low temps... I like this. 10F is around 7 or 8 right? Hm...

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

Zones are based on ABSOLUTE lows, not average lows. BASED on the zone maps, your average absolute low should be between -15 to -10. Zone maps are confusing anyway...temperatures are much more reliable.

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Here are the absolute lows for Milwaukee, WI this winter, according to weatherunderground

Dec:1F

Jan:2F

Feb:11F

You had a fairly mild winter this year..last year's Jan low was -12F.

Best regards,

Jonthan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Here are the absolute lows for Milwaukee, WI this winter, according to weatherunderground

Best regards,

Jonthan

We had a very mild winter this year. I didn't pay much attention to the thermometer but I do not recall the temperature dropping below 0F. I am going to buy a sabal minor, and leave it in a pot outside for the next winter. We will see how it fares. Well, considering that... I should get a few of them so they don't all die. If they do....

When i grow up I might try cross breeding a Yucca with a Pinnate Palm. Make that, hardy yucca. We had one at our old house. It put out giant asparagus and that was the seed pod. It was very exotic. I miss my old house. Oh the memories!

Best regards,

Jonthan

We had a very mild winter this year. I didn't pay much attention to the thermometer but I do not recall the temperature dropping below 0F. I am going to buy a sabal minor, and leave it in a pot outside for the next winter. We will see how it fares. Well, considering that... I should get a few of them so they don't all die. If they do....

When i grow up I might try cross breeding a Yucca with a Pinnate Palm. Make that, hardy yucca. We had one at our old house. It put out giant asparagus and that was the seed pod. It was very exotic. I miss my old house. Oh the memories!

Hmm..I don't think hybridizing two completely different families of plants is possible.

-Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 2 weeks later...

Laugh all you want but when I'm 43 I will be rich and living in Wyoming with my cross of Cocos Filamentosa!!!

lmao.

Laugh all you want but when I'm 43 I will be rich and living in Wyoming with my cross of Cocos Filamentosa!!!

lmao.

No problem. Genetic engineering will fix all of these issues. Of course, you kids will have 3 legs and 4 arms, but no sweat, they'll be able to plant and water palms at the same time. :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages