IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pseudobombax ellipticum

bubba

This is a very cool tree when it blooms. I saw one Friday in bloom near a local restaurant and went back to take a picture:

P1020568.jpg

Anybody else seeing any pink or white bloomers out there?

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Beautiful tree,and iam reminded of our 'ficus olanda' as seen in bloom in our neighbouring state Banglore(South India).:)

And thanks for that lovely visual..

Lots of love,

kris :)

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

We have a white and a pink one here but I think the cold killed the flower buds. The buds are swelling on the branch tips but they look to be leaves. They dont seem to have suffered any dieback from the cold but I think the flowers were aborted.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There are two whites and one pink planted accross the street.

The whites seem to bloom prior to the pinks for some reason, rock.gif

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

More of these from a Garden at a great local church:

P1020617.jpg

A little closer:

P1020618.jpg

Some white ones:

P1020632.jpg

• 7 years later...

These have already bloomed this year. Waiting for the Royal Poincianas.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I think it's time (or even overdue) for me to plant my P. ellipitcum now that it's broken its winter dormancy. New leaves are so colorful! It's been in pure pumice since I got it from Hawai'i months ago. Glad that it has one bloom bud (on the right) that should open soon. 

Pseudobombax_ellipticum3.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I think it's time (or even overdue) for me to plant my P. ellipitcum now that it's broken its winter dormancy. New leaves are so colorful! It's been in pure pumice since I got it from Hawai'i months ago. Glad that it has one bloom bud (on the right) that should open soon. 

Pseudobombax_ellipticum3.png

Looks good!
Gotta love that new foliage. Gets better as it matures.. Add in the Pink flowers and, as mentioned before, it doesn't get much better.  Might wait to plant until after it flowers, and puts on a little more growth, just to be sure roots are really filling out. Plus, you don't want to risk loosing the flower. You going in the ground or a bigger pot?

25 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks good!
Gotta love that new foliage. Gets better as it matures.. Add in the Pink flowers and, as mentioned before, it doesn't get much better.  Might wait to plant until after it flowers, and puts on a little more growth, just to be sure roots are really filling out. Plus, you don't want to risk loosing the flower. You going in the ground or a bigger pot?

Since it overwintered in my sunroom (to protect it from frost until it develops a woody trunk), I plan to put it in cactus mix in a clay pot (so it dries out in-between waterings). I'll take your advice and wait to do that until after it flowers. Having that flower bud drop at this time would be very disappointing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, Hillizard said:

Since it overwintered in my sunroom (to protect it from frost until it develops a woody trunk), I plan to put it in cactus mix in a clay pot (so it dries out in-between waterings). I'll take your advice and wait to do that until after it flowers. Having that flower bud drop at this time would be very disappointing!

On 6/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks good!

My rooted P. ellipticum "stick" flowered today. I'm guessing it was at maximum anthesis this morning (before I noticed), and the drooping stamens indicate the flower is now past its prime. At least I had plenty of pollen to self-fertilize this flower. And now that there's no chance of bud drop, I can move it into a larger pot with media better than the pure pumice in which it's been growing. I figure that unless/until it develops a very thick, woody trunk, it'll spend its life in a pot I can move for overwinter protection.

PseudoBombax1.png

PseudoBombax2.png

• Like 3

On 6/19/2019 at 12:34 PM, Missi said:

:yay::drool::wub:

..You need to find one for your garden:D Should be a pretty easy grower where you are. Wish i still had access to specimens close to where i lived in Bradenton, let alone  knew anyone who could send me cuttings / seed.. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 10:37 AM, Ryagra said:

That is a gorgeous tree! 

Very easy in containers, especially the common, white -flowered variety. When they start dropping their leaves in the Fall, stop watering until you see new growth in the spring. Raised a pair in pots since 2012. Unfortunately, i got the idea to try one of them in the ground here. Cold didn't nail it, Bad timing planting and exposure to full sun roasted it. That said, there's a Cactus nursery not far from the house that has had a larger specimen in the ground for several years. Believe it survived a couple sub 26F freezes here as well.  Just re potted my remaining specimen since it was slowly breaking out of the container it was in.  Will go into a wide 10 or 15 gal pot next year. Might top it as well to induce more branching / bigger caudex.

Has flowered twice since i have had it.
1228151558.jpg.ecc2c8432db2f0f8222f5d81a60b2d2a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Very easy in containers, especially the common, white -flowered variety. When they start dropping their leaves in the Fall, stop watering until you see new growth in the spring. Raised a pair in pots since 2012. Unfortunately, i got the idea to try one of them in the ground here. Cold didn't nail it, Bad timing planting and exposure to full sun roasted it. That said, there's a Cactus nursery not far from the house that has had a larger specimen in the ground for several years. Believe it survived a couple sub 26F freezes here as well.  Just re potted my remaining specimen since it was slowly breaking out of the container it was in.  Will go into a wide 10 or 15 gal pot next year. Might top it as well to induce more branching / bigger caudex.

Has flowered twice since i have had it.
1228151558.jpg.ecc2c8432db2f0f8222f5d81a60b2d2a.jpg

How “petite” will it stay in a pot? I would have to garage one here. It’s a lot colder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryagra said:

How “petite” will it stay in a pot? I would have to garage one here. It’s a lot colder. 

A lot of people keep them under 3' in containers, mainly to build up the size of the Caudex.. For flowers, i'd say 6-8' is good. The one pictured was about 5ft in height when it flowered. Is almost 6' atm. Would probably be a foot or two taller but i've been somewhat stingy w/ watering it regularly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For those interested, if it's successful I'll post updates of the results of my attempt to fertilize my single P. ellipticum flower with its own pollen! :unsure: This is what the capsule looks like today with the remains of the stigma after the stamens fell off en masse.

SeedCapsulePseudobombax.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

A lot of people keep them under 3' in containers, mainly to build up the size of the Caudex.. For flowers, i'd say 6-8' is good. The one pictured was about 5ft in height when it flowered. Is almost 6' atm. Would probably be a foot or two taller but i've been somewhat stingy w/ watering it regularly.

Awesome. Thank you so much! 

• 2 months later...

In my opinion the pink form of P. ellipticum has very attractive new growth that rivals its flowers! Took this picture yesterday.

Pseudobombax-1.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hillizard said:

In my opinion the red form of P. ellipticum has very attractive new growth that rivals its flowers! Took this picture yesterday.

Pseudobombax-1.png

Lookin good:greenthumb: Totally agree about the foliage. The big one back in Bradenton i posted about sometime ago was something else to observe upclose. Notice, at least on mine, and ones i have seen here and in S. Cal. White flowered specimens don't seem to flush as brightly as the pink ones though. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

After at least 6 months of looking like a green stick in a pot my P. ellipitcum  has finally broken its dormancy.  What looked like a developing flower bud aborted, as did the apical leaf bud, but it's now very active and branching, which is a huge relief. It may not have been a good idea to move it outdoors too early this spring and to repot it while it was inactive. Even without flowers, the new leaves are a great mahogany red.

Pseudobombax2020.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a Pseudobombax sp. I got from Yuccado Nursery 6-7 years ago; they collected seed in South America (maybe Brazil or Bolivia-I just can't remember now) but were unable to identify the species.  It's been super slow for me so far, growing only a few inches a year and it's  now about 3' tall.  Seems to have no problems with the cold, and loves water in the summer.  Trunk looks promising.

IMG_3983.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

San Fernando Valley, California

• 3 months later...

While doing some " virtual plant touring " around San Diego and other spots nearby on Inaturalist, came across this entry for a Pink- flowered specimen in the Encanto area of SD. Uploaded to Inat's site back in May.  Checking, it is also clearly visible on Google Street view also ( Note the Red colored wall behind it in both images. Not posting the Street View ..view ).  

While not out of the question there may be a few more in gardens out there, most specimens of this sp. seen in Southern CA.  are the -supposedly hardier- white-flowered variant.  Nice to see a Pink one seemingly doing well too.

Link ( if it works, lol ): https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/45899189

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, well, well, lol..  Guess the west coast may finally start seeing more red / pink - flowered Pseudobombax  e's showing up in yards in the nearer future:

Saw this yesterday while window shopping San Marcos " New plants for 2022 " list..

https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=4437

Some other interesting S.W U.S. things on the same list others in California might want to check out too.. Oh, and for anyone out there who might still be looking for it ( been awhile since it has been discussed here ) They also have Tiger Grass ( Thysanolaena latifolia )  back in stock..

• 5 months later...

My potted Pseudobombax ellipticum was outdoors under a roof overhang all last winter (Sacramento suburbs) It suffered some major cold damage. Luckily it's recovered and decided to branch at the apex. Latest heatwave didn't seem to affect it. Red clippers in the picture are for scale. I think I'll overwinter it indoors this winter. Perhaps I'll get flowers next year? I think it'll spend it's life potted unless my local climate shifts from z9b to 10a. BTW, that's a Brahea decumbens on the right photo-bombing this picture.

pseudobombax1.png

pseudobombax2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

My potted Pseudobombax ellipticum was outdoors under a roof overhang all last winter (Sacramento suburbs) It suffered some major cold damage. Luckily it's recovered and decided to branch at the apex. Latest heatwave didn't seem to affect it. Red clippers in the picture are for scale. I think I'll overwinter it indoors this winter. Perhaps I'll get flowers next year? I think it'll spend it's life potted unless my local climate shifts from z9b to 10a. BTW, that's a Brahea decumbens on the right photo-bombing this picture.

pseudobombax1.png

pseudobombax2.png

Looks great..  Gonna have to try again, keeping the plant(s) inside while rooting them, unless a source for rooted plants shows up again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks great..  Gonna have to try again, keeping the plant(s) inside while rooting them, unless a source for rooted plants shows up again.

I checked online and there are actually quite a few being offered  right now... but small plants. Some are white flowered, a few claim to be pink.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I checked online and there are actually quite a few being offered  right now... but small plants. Some are white flowered, a few claim to be pink.

:greenthumb:

I'll have to check in w/ where you'd got yours from to see if he's got any going again..

• Like 1

I am enjoying the photos! Thanks all!

Tropiflora who mail orders had small inexpensive white ones when I was there last Spring. So I got one.

My red one in Puerto Rico goes dormant and flushed the nice red leaves but so far no blooms and in the ground 4 years now. 

I suspect too much rain even in our “dry” season but also tree ferns beginning to shade it a bit. Although I have many many tree ferns, so far I am only removing fronds and not chopping them down.

• Like 3

Cindy Adair

• 1 year later...

Because i couldn't find the more recent thread on the subject, and can't add images in our direct conversation, decided to put it here..

An update on a pair of rooted plants sent by a fellow PT'er,  ...whose name shall remain shrouded..

Bigger of the two that weathered the trip in the mail the best ( Only dropping a couple leaves.. Remaining ones shrugging off the trip after potting up ) .. Starting to see bud beak on both tips..

Leaf on the upper right was bent just enough in the box that it caused it to ooze a little sap.. No worries..

IMG_8082.thumb.JPG.56081942081e7286d1985d2763418036.JPG

Smaller of the pair: ..This one dropped all it's leaves after arrival.  Stem / branch was somewhat puckered, but has fully re-hydrated since planting..  Some new leaves starting to emerge from the tips..

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.2324a205086ebdd4a64a8a4adb2c6ed2.JPG

IMG_8084.thumb.JPG.c1c68a4c982e6f953b4385deea50c8b5.JPG

• Like 2