IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Eyjafjallajökull Effect

happ

Probably more a nuisance to air travel but the volcanic eruption of sulphur dioxide is considered a relatively minor event compared to past volcanic activity. Must be some beautiful sunrise\ sunsets in Europe!

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2010/04/16/2874939.htm

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

That spelling is a nuisance

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

thats considered a "short" word in icelandic.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Look at this

picture over airtraffic in Europe for today friday.

Normally there's 28000 airplanes in the air during one day. Today it has been 12000. Quite a differance. Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Frankfurt among other airports have been closed down. In Sweden you can't rent a car, traintickets are hard to come by and busses... People are using "blocket" (equivalent to E-bay) to get home saying "I'll pay for gas as long as you drive me home"

It´s a bit crazy actually, and quite frightening that we are so vulnerable when nature is showing it self.

//Ciczi

Greetings from the southernmost Swedish town Trelleborg,

also known as the Palmcity.

USDA zone 7 with a good microclimate

That's not spelling, that's an icelandic Rhapis hedge ! :mrlooney:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Airports are closed here and in much more country today and looks like they will be flying again tomorrow morning again. It looks like the weather systems going to change a bit and because of that the new ash would be transported more north (Scandinavien) and not to here anymore. Otherwise there was a discussion about the effect on the climate maybe, but that's is not happening. It's a big one, but defitnely not big enough to have effect on our climate over here. In fact I haven't see anything different today compared to other days and also the smell was just normal.

Here is a picture of a new eruption earlier this evening, with it looks like the ash would be for more northern area's. If it would get more eruptions the new clouds of dust and ash have to be count again for with area's that would be. Don't worry about it really, I like the cards what I saw that we going to see much more nice spring weather over here the next few days :)

23420101612160.jpg

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Sunsets like this? Pictures made by several people from a dutch weather forum, so they are not mine but still beautifull.

21420101632211.jpg

2042010163258.jpg

114201016026.jpg

214201015618.jpg

Southwest

I heard it can cause cold summer in the northern hemisphere because of the ash?? It might not be a long term effect.

If so, it would certainly affect the food production as the southern hemisphere is going into winter. This will be interesting to see...

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My husband & I were discussing the effect the eruption may have on weather. If it makes next winter worse than 09/10 I may have to commit myself. I think no one knows what all this ash may do to future weather. But I seem to remember that when Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines blew up in 1991, weather in some places was affected. But Mt. P is located near the equator, not the North Pole. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Kudos if you can pronounce it! unsure.gif

post-1729-12714633819951_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My husband & I were discussing the effect the eruption may have on weather. If it makes next winter worse than 09/10 I may have to commit myself. I think no one knows what all this ash may do to future weather. But I seem to remember that when Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines blew up in 1991, weather in some places was affected. But Mt. P is located near the equator, not the North Pole. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Hopefully this eruption will not reach Pinatubo levels. And according to the article, Eyjafjallajokull is much weaker.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Like I said, it's not going to change or effect our climate/weather so far over here because it's not big enough and we don't have seen to many ash over here. Also the last eruptions and the ash from that are not turning into Holland but way much north.

Quite strange to think that's it's great weather here at the moment with lovely sunshine and blue skies and not to far there is an active vulcano. :blink:

Here is a picture from an earlier eruption, it's a nice picture if you ask me.

104201017446.jpg

Southwest

I spent the day yesterday with a few customers of mine from Holland. They are booked to go back home on Wednesdy night. But, they are concerned that due to the mess with the airlines they may not make it. Now if the Laki volcano goes off in conjunction with this one it would create an incredible mess. The Laki volcano has created major impacts in Europe several times in human history. The last one may have helped provoke conditions for the french revolution. And, the Mississipi froze as far south as New Orleans. Now that would really wreck havoc on American palm growers.

Laki volcano

Consequences in North America

In North America, the winter of 1784 was the longest and one of the coldest on record. It was the longest period of below-zero temperatures in New England, the largest accumulation of snow in New Jersey, and the longest freezing over of the Chesapeake Bay. There was ice skating in Charleston Harbor, a huge snowstorm hit the south, the Mississippi River froze at New Orleans, and there was ice in the Gulf of Mexico.[12][13]

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Kudos if you can pronounce it! unsure.gif

Ron, around here people pronounce it: "the-vol-CAY'-no-in-ice-land"

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I spent the day yesterday with a few customers of mine from Holland. They are booked to go back home on Wednesdy night. But, they are concerned that due to the mess with the airlines they may not make it. Now if the Laki volcano goes off in conjunction with this one it would create an incredible mess. The Laki volcano has created major impacts in Europe several times in human history. The last one may have helped provoke conditions for the french revolution. And, the Mississipi froze as far south as New Orleans. Now that would really wreck havoc on American palm growers.

Laki volcano

Consequences in North America

In North America, the winter of 1784 was the longest and one of the coldest on record. It was the longest period of below-zero temperatures in New England, the largest accumulation of snow in New Jersey, and the longest freezing over of the Chesapeake Bay. There was ice skating in Charleston Harbor, a huge snowstorm hit the south, the Mississippi River froze at New Orleans, and there was ice in the Gulf of Mexico.[12][13]

dk

Yeah, it may be an entirely different story if Laki gets involved! :wacko:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Is there indication that Laki might follow?? I haven't been reading my world news lately...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

I read that it could happen and apparently has in the past. I guess nothing is impossible. I hope that it does not though as the consequences would be very bad.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Is there indication that Laki might follow?? I haven't been reading my world news lately...

Ari, This article popped up from a link to the NY Times this morning. From what it says there is a direct link with the Katla volcano.

Iceland Volcanos

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks Don... very interesting reading..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'm sure when they named that place in the Icelandic language they just mashed their keyboard and said "that will do". How is it pronounced?

I hope this thing doesn't mess up the worlds climate. It's weird enough as it is.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They seem to dance around the issue, by mentioning all the smaller volcanos, but if Mt Hekla (the biggest of them all in Iceland) goes off then no planes will be flying for 6 months and of course the climate will be affected. With so many big earthquakes happening all over the place, there is something strange going on with the geological patterns. Here south of the equator, I think we only have to worry about Krakatoa joining into the party. Then it would be a case of Guo hjalpa okkur. (a little phrase I picked from my Icelandic cousins)

Peachy

Edited by peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Does it mean "lets have a big party and drink Vodka until we can't see anymore"?????

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Beer and Schnapps mainly dear, Icelanders are nordic not slavic. (a bit of laplander eskimos thrown in) It means Gawd help us all. I do know a few other salient phrases but I can't spell them.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.