IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Burrawang Mana" palm update

Walter John

Here's the latest from the BMW team (Burrawang Mana and Wal).

A triple play on these Carpentaria acuminatas. Cyphophoenix elegans on the left.

post-51-12712205781508_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712205347517_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

All young Kentiopsis have surrended to the mana.

post-51-12712208276641_thumb.jpg

oliviformis

post-51-12712208560668_thumb.jpg

magnifica

post-51-12712208843002_thumb.jpg

pyriformis 2 plants, Pinanga coronata on the right

post-51-12712208050925_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Also in today, Chamaedorea glaucifolia triple and lil' Pinanga philippinensis quadruple right down the back fence.

post-51-12712219750535_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712218910444_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Both main side areas are getting full now, crotons and cordys for the tropical touch going in as well. Time to start on the bush area and front areas.

post-51-12712225873959_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712223858446_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712224641586_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just needs time.

more pics later.

post-51-12712228092913_thumb.jpg

love the colours on this cordyline.

post-51-12712228936126_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking great Wal!! I think with the sun and now "at that size", the magnifica might actually grow at a decent pace for you!! (1-2 fronds a year) :winkie:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey! I think I spied a "dark mealybug" palm planted!!! Coolio!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey! I think I spied a "dark mealybug" palm planted!!! Coolio!

maybe you did..

Yet to go in Bill are these highland fling mongrel mealy buggers. hovotendrina ? I forgot already.

post-51-12712270868675_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712271399608_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712270405254_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Aiphanes horrida goes to the bush zone, keeping out of harms way, I got spiked yet again even with carbonite gloves on. :(

I love this bad boy though.

post-51-12712276253625_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712275418847_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

New spears are coming on nearly every palm I've planted, and they've grown these spears since being planted..

very happy bout that sir..

Archo purpurea

post-51-1271227899614_thumb.jpg

Green bizzie baby powers

post-51-12712278238051_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

Looks like the "no Jungle this time " policy has been overuled by an ever evolving obsession ! :mrlooney:

keep up the good work !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

The afternoon sun of autumn kisses and blesses Burrawang Mana, all is good in the valley of the glasshouse mountains, you're in palm heaven and you can rock a bye your sweet baby James. :)

post-51-1271228564099_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712286160501_thumb.jpg

post-51-12712285392396_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The Livistona humilis still awaits planting, keeping well thank goodness.

post-51-12712361109759_thumb.jpg

These Dypsis sp.noidea don't appear to like full sun. Would like to see them planted soon. Nice reddish bases.

post-51-12712361425989_thumb.jpg

4 Roystonea princeps potted up and placed in a warm spot for the upcoming cooler seasons. One of these is earmarked for Matt of northern NSW.

post-51-12712361629955_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking good Wal, keep up the good work!

Are you going to plant some cycads in there too?

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

How are the palms you transplanted from your old place? No casualties I hope. Everything looks really good.

San Marcos CA

You have been busy, Wal... time to connect the dot now and mulch in between the palms.... :). It is much easier to mow.... trust me!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You have been busy, Wal... time to connect the dot now and mulch in between the palms.... :). It is much easier to mow.... trust me!!

This is planned for later Ari, when things really slow down, about mid June, then a massive mulching project will occur.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

How are the palms you transplanted from your old place? No casualties I hope. Everything looks really good.

Thanks Shon, had a loss back at the old place, and it looks like the Livistona fulva is gone :angry: , otherwise all is fine.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking good Wal, keep up the good work!

Are you going to plant some cycads in there too?

Yes Kurt, I dug up a couple of cycads from the old place but I was told to wait 12 months before re plant. An african and a Dioon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice start Wal. :D If I planted those babies in full sun here, they'd be toast! Are you planning any hardwood trees for canopy, or all palms. Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Nice start Wal. :D If I planted those babies in full sun here, they'd be toast! Are you planning any hardwood trees for canopy, or all palms. Randy

No more hardwood trees Randy, there's enough of those at the back. Palms and tropical foilage plants and some cycads later. Here's the overall view as you can see planting is on the sides of the yard only so the back bush vista remains. Should be interesting in a few years or so.

Left side (note the two growing mango trees will assist with shade where needed)

post-51-12712696213544_thumb.jpgpost-51-12712696857342_thumb.jpg

right side (generally all day sun, this is where I placed the bigger/older transplants)

post-51-12712696436636_thumb.jpgpost-51-12712696656614_thumb.jpg

centre (I don't want to plant anything to block this)

post-51-12712696017511_thumb.jpgpost-51-12712695791714_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking good Wal. The name is really catchy, good choice. In England you'd be known as Lord of the Mana! BTW, in the R. princeps line up, is that a P. pacifica far left, and what is the big seedling second from left?

Looking good Wal. The name is really catchy, good choice. In England you'd be known as Lord of the Mana! BTW, in the R. princeps line up, is that a P. pacifica far left, and what is the big seedling second from left?

Hi John, the far left is a Pritchardia thurstonii and I can't believe you can't pick the one next to it, you are joshing me, have a closer look. All the way from Mission Beach too, now there's a hint if ever there was one. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi John, the far left is a Pritchardia thurstonii and I can't believe you can't pick the one next to it, you are joshing me, have a closer look. All the way from Mission Beach too, now there's a hint if ever there was one. :D

Oh yeah! :lol: Funny, I just potted up 17 P. thurstonii today. As 2-leafers go, they must be the slimmest Pritchardia seedlings ever.

Boy, once you connect the dots with mulch it's going to really pull things together. It'll be a major transformation.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That's amazing how much you've done in such a short period of time. Where did you get all these plants? Did you have them in pots at the old place or are they transplants?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Wal

Been offline a bit lately with intermittant computer problems.

Burrawang manna is looking great some really nice palm species you have planted there & with that beaut Sunshine coast climate it will be a real jungle soon enough.

Once again thanks for the Roystonea princeps seedling.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

That's amazing how much you've done in such a short period of time. Where did you get all these plants? Did you have them in pots at the old place or are they transplants?

The short version is that the palms are made up of transplants, potted collection and several purchased since my arrival.

The long version can be downloaded from www.ratpackers.com.au. This web site is under construction, well it's just an idea really, and the idea is under construction I suppose.

Abstract from the long version:

To give you an idea I hired a 3 ton truck one weekend in the shift to here and one of the truckloads was made up entirely of palms and one or two cycads, most were transplants, but still plenty from my potted collection.

After we got here, about two days after we arrived, the heavens opened and didn't stop for a month or so and I needed some water lovers.

On the subject of how much I've done in a short time ?, well that's got something to do with my drive to get back to where I was at with my palm jungle and the fact that the planting season was and is getting short, already the temps are cooling and the days of light are dwindling. It's been hard but satisfyingly enjoyable and I couldn't wait for a ratpack plant out, too anxious.

bye all and thanks for the encouraging words..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

or should we call you Bwana mana. The garden is coming along at a great pace and no hills hoist in site, Your place looks wonderful with all that space. Soon to be called Wal's botanical garden, Greenleaf the senior botanist on site.

well done Wal

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Looking good Wal. Good idea to get em in before winter so they can explode out of the ground in spring.

Will try and get up some day to check it out.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Well done Wal. You have been busy. I'm glad most things survived the move from your old place. Are you going to put in a bamboo grove of Dendrocalamus gigantueus or D asper, because you've got the room? :winkie:

Go on do it. You know you should. :drool:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well done Wal. You have been busy. I'm glad most things survived the move from your old place. Are you going to put in a bamboo grove of Dendrocalamus gigantueus or D asper, because you've got the room? :winkie:

Best regards

Tyrone

You read me like a book Tyronne. I have planted gracilis and chungii already near the back fence on the right side but there I was at the Caboolture markets the other day and this bamboo nut was selling the big stuff for a low price. The evil planning mind has not stopped since. He was selling Dendrocalamus Brandisii var. 'Black' and Dendrocalamus Latiflorus I think it was. Maybe on the other side of the back fence :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Best regards

Tyrone

You read me like a book Tyronne. I have planted gracilis and chungii already near the back fence on the right side but there I was at the Caboolture markets the other day and this bamboo nut was selling the big stuff for a low price. The evil planning mind has not stopped since. He was selling Dendrocalamus Brandisii var. 'Black' and Dendrocalamus Latiflorus I think it was. Maybe on the other side of the back fence :hmm:

Dendrocalamus brandisii var "black" Yeah. Awesome. :drool: I wish I had more room to plant more big stuff like that one here. That one will just go off in your much better climate. I've got D latiflorus here and it's huge. I've got canes maybe 15cm across and it's only 5 and a bit years in the ground from a stick. But Dendrocalamus brandisii var "black" is just one of those ultimates. Like a Cuban Royal with a red crownshaft.!!!!

The other night I dreamt I had two acres. I woke up. :(

One day I'll have to come and pay a visit if you'll have me.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I want those D. brandisii var 'black'!!!!! my one and only brandisii didn't make it, when the dog knocked it of the table... :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice plantings Wal! I look forward to watching your new garden grow and mature.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 1 month later...

What could possibly complete two Chambeyronia macrocarpas ? Why, a Chambeyronia hookeri of course. Collected this yellow devil while I wasn't even looking at the local markets this morning. You know how it goes, you get your car to drive home and when you get home there's this mysery palm in the back, "now how did that get in there ?".

post-51-12746043495224_thumb.jpg

post-51-12746044110666_thumb.jpg

While I was positioning this Chambey I noticed some lovely red on this Dypsis dwarf lasty, thought I'd show it off to the red neck red necks.

post-51-12746044649015_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very nice work on the garden Wal! It's going to be cool to see future pics as the plants fill in!laugh.gif

Randy

test

Wal,

Great photographs .....it is always VERY EXCITING at the start.........patch work is good like you said for now......more mulch to come..........smart move mulch during the winter...the heat in queensland is relentless..............the weather has been fantastic for gardening......and digging in general that is between the showers....bit odd this rain thing.......you must be bless by the gods...........we too had loads of rain after an extended dry upon move to utopia in the beings.............I am wondering with a name like BURRANG MANA if you have native title............or native blood that is?.............you might conjure up native spirit being near the glass house mountains.............

The Aboriginal Legend

The legend of the Glasshouse Mountains in Aboriginal told stories runs: Now Tibrogargan was the father of all the tribes and Beerwah was his wife, and they had many children.

Coonowrin, the eldest; the twins, Tunbubudla; Miketeebumulgrai; Elimbah whose shoulders were bent because she carried many cares; the little one called Round because she was so fat and small; and the one called Wild Horse since he always strayed away from the others to paddle out to sea. (Ngungun, Beerburrum and Coochin do not seem to be mentioned in the legend).

One day when Tibrogargan was gazing out to sea, he perceived a great rising of the waters. He knew then that there was to be a very great flood and he became worried for Beerwah, who had borne him many children and was again pregnant and would not be able to reach the safety of the mountains in the west without assistance.

So he called to his eldest son, Coonowrin, and told him of the flood which was coming and said, "Take your mother, Beerwah, to the safety of the mountains while I gather your brothers and sisters who are at play and I will bring them along."

When Tibrogargan looked back to see how Coonowrin was tending to his mother he was dismayed to see him running off alone. Now this was a spiritless thing for Coonowrin to do, and as he had shown himself to be a coward he was to be despised.

Tibrogargan became very angry and he picked up his nulla nulla and chased Coonowrin and cracked him over the head with a mighty blow with such force that it dislocated Coonowrin's neck, and he has never been able to straighten it since.

By and by, the floods subsided and, when the plains dried out the family was able to return to the place where they lived before. Then, when the other children saw Coonowrin they teased him and called "How did you get your wry neck - How did you get your wry neck?" and this made Coonowrin feel ashamed.

So Coonowrin went to Tibrogargan and asked for forgiveness, but the law of the tribe would not permit this. And he wept, for his son had disgraced him. Now the shame of this was very great and Tibrogargan's tears were many and, as they trickled down they formed a stream which wended its way to the sea.

So Coonowrin went then to his mother, Beerwah, but she also cried, and her tears became a stream and flowed away to the sea. Then, one by one, he went to his brothers and sisters, but they all cried at their brother's shame.

Then Tibrogargan called to Coonowrin and asked why he had deserted his mother and Coonowrin replied, "She is the biggest of us all and should be able to take care of herself." But Coonowrin did not know that his mother was again with child, which was the reason for her grossness. Then Tibrogargan put his son behind him and vowed he would never look at him again.

Even to this day Tibrogargan gazes far, far out to sea and never looks at Coonowrin. Coonowrin hangs his head in shame and cries, and his tears run off to the sea, and his mother, Beerwah, is still pregnant, for, you see, it takes many years to give birth to a mountain."

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Quite the dapper addition Wal.