IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Accuweather is wacked.

Palmy

(galveston1602 @ Dec. 16 2006,11:11)

I wanna know how larry is reclaiming water in his HOA neighborhood...  you do have a HOA dont ya larry?

I was wondering if anyone was going to think I was using a catchment type system!

The reclaimed water system here is far more complex than that (but the water is probably still not as good)----

http://www.pinellascounty.org/utilities/do...aimed_broch.pdf

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(NM_PALM_BOY @ Dec. 16 2006,13:36)

Hey All,

BOTH Weather.com AND Accuweather are wacked! They are for-profit, commercial entities that only care about making money! I have noticed that on both websites they are "inaccurate" on climatological data and forcasting. The NWS is the only reliable source.

I don't know if you guys have heard this one, but Accuweather is trying to sue the goverment, claiming that they are giving out free information and infringing on their right to "sell" weather data.

Doug

Hey Doug, how's that NM Trachy doing.  Have you gotten any new palms in the ground in ABQ yet.

(NM_PALM_BOY @ Dec. 16 2006,13:36)

Hey All,

I don't know if you guys have heard this one, but Accuweather is trying to sue the goverment, claiming that they are giving out free information and infringing on their right to "sell" weather data.

Doug

Doug, this is what I was referring to in my earlier post.  Sen. (soon-to-be-gone) Santorum is their errand boy in Washington - he introduced a bill that would have sharply curtailed the public's access to weather information - no NWS data at all.  No NOAA radio.   Btw, Santorum "represents" Pennsylvania - right where inaccuweather is located.  Whadda coincidence.

The excuse they use is that the NWS' charter involves  not duplicating any service that can be provided by commercial weather.  But there is one service that only the NWS can provide - and inaccuweather would prefer you not think of it:  the ability to deliver weather information free of the influence of ratings.  And free to the public.

Weather is an item of national security (don't believe me just look at Louisiana).  The citizens should have complete and free access to all weather data, in the interests of public safety, among other things.

Accuweather should be ashamed of themselves!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 18 2006,22:30)

Accuweather should be ashamed of themselves!

Unfortunately, most folks can sleep OK at night as long as it is on soft satin sheets......

Larry 

The premium/professional service I had for two months was $19.99 a month.  I couldn't justify paying for doom and gloom.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 19 2006,07:34)

I couldn't justify paying for doom and gloom.

You can get that for free here!

Larry 

This is true.  I am doom and gloom.

(Ray @ Tampa,Dec. 19 2006,07:34)

The premium/professional service I had for two months was $19.99 a month.  I couldn't justify paying for doom and gloom.

I used to read that stuff before it went to "premium."  I admit, I didn't understand all the business about "teleconnections," but I did notice one pattern - which was accuweather, making it sound as if we were all going to get blown away.  Didn't like the hype.

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 18 2006,22:32)

Unfortunately, most folks can sleep OK at night as long as it is on soft satin sheets......
  An excellent way to put it.  And it's just sad.

St. Pete

Sunny, the premium service is intended for meteorologists.  I consider myself an amateur meteo but some of the more technical stuff glazes my eyes over.

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 20 2006,07:37)

Sunny, the premium service is intended for meteorologists.  I consider myself an amateur meteo but some of the more technical stuff glazes my eyes over.

Yep, that's why I wouldn't spend a dime on it :D

I did read bastardi fairly regularly when it was free - and managed to understand a bit of it.  But the technical parts - yikes.  My eyes glazed over too.

St. Pete

Sunny, Bastardi's column was free at one time?  That would make for interesting daily gloom.

(Ray @ Tampa,Dec. 21 2006,08:00)

Sunny, Bastardi's column was free at one time?  That would make for interesting daily gloom.

Yup, it was free several years ago.  He would do long - I mean lonnnnng - discussions of weather patterns across the country.  During Season, a lot of it focused on tropical activity, and yeah - daily gloom.

I would attempt to understand the gist of it, but they moved it to their "premium" service.  I don't miss it much, I like Wx Underground better.

St. Pete