IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Earthquake Alert? In Southern California?

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

One of the ladies in my office has a brother who works at CalTech's earthquake research center in Pasadena.

According to her, everyone at the center has been ordered home, because, they say, a big seismic event is imminent over the next 48 hours. Which might damage the center inconveniently.

So, let's see what happens, shall we?

Nighty night, sleepy tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite . . . .

As long as nothing falls on you, earthquakes, even huge ones, are highly survivable.

dave

P.S. Am I nutty? Well . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"As long as nothing falls on you, earthquakes, even huge ones, are highly survivable."

Same thing applies to hurricanes. Good luck out there. A 48-hour notice is always nice. I got <30 minutes with Charley.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

For an alert like that things must be creeping down there. Stay away from overpasses. I wonder what they based their prediction on?

Dick

Richard Douglas

I just pulled up earthquakes on the web and there has been a swarm of small earthquakes in S. Calif. today. I can see why the scientiest might be alarmed.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Oh, great. Just what I was looking forward to. It's a little disconcerting to know that the earthquake folks are ducking for cover. I hope they are wrong.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Oh, great. Just what I was looking forward to. It's a little disconcerting to know that the earthquake folks are ducking for cover. I hope they are wrong.

That makes several million of us!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So now they can predict earthquakes? I don't think so. One of the ladies who has a brother, who's cousin, who's dog is a......people are loco, don't listen to those ladies Dave. We've been having dozens of earthquakes every day since the large 7.2 quake on Easter.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

"As long as nothing falls on you, earthquakes, even huge ones, are highly survivable."

A couple hundred thousand plus people, if they were still around, might suggest you add "and you are not washed away" to that quote.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

A couple hundred thousand plus people, if they were still around, might suggest you add "and you are not washed away" to that quote.

Good point.

Usually, thankfully, earthie washie ain't a problem, unless you're right at the ocean's edge or a damn bursts above you.

There are very few places in Tierra d'La La that are like that, though a notable exception is Seal Beach, which has signs all over the place saying, "DAnger, Tsunami -- in case of earthquake, run to higher ground" or words to such effect.

I see Southern Calif. is still standing.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I see Southern Calif. is still standing.

Dick

Like Elton John!

Well . . . .

(Hooking thumbs into overall straps)

Guess it was just a false alarm!

• 6 years later...

The odds, eventdually are 100%.

• 5 months later...