IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dog Pee

Got Palms

Maybe i missed a previous topic so please bare with me if this has been asked before, but should i discourage my dogs from urinating in my planters and on the base of my palms, is thier urine harmful to the soil and or palms. My palnters are heavily mulched with about a four inch layer of redwood bark. Thanks in advance for any help. Sergio

Sergio,

I have always had a garden, and I have always had a dog (or two). Dog urine is highly acidic and will IMMEDIATELY kill a palm, especially if the palm is a small one. What is typical is that the dog will mark its spot, and continually come back to the same area to urinate. This repeated soil drenching of acidic urine will kill any and all plant material.

There are products on the market for dogs (and cats I presume) that will buffer the acid in the urine. It is a natural, organic product derived from garlic I believe. It works, but the side effects can be dangerous for their kidneys...and the product is expensive and can take up to three tablets per day for a large dog.

You CAN train your dog to mark a spot where YOU desire, with time, they will go to that area to urinate. This is what I did with my puppy, but I am sure with effort, you can do it with an adult dog too. A stake, a fence area, a rock, etc will serve this purpose.

Human urine, on the other hand, is not as acidic, and has been shown to be quite beneficial to palms...but that's another posting!

Good luck. :D

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I think I know why some of my Linospadix just start dying after growing vigorously. It has to be my dogs.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dog urine is VERY high in nitrogen. It's like dumping a pile of ammonium nitrate on you palm. Small palms can't take much but large established ones are tougher to hurt. I have two collies but they know the bedding areas are off limits. They "go" in the river rock and gravel or wait 'til their walk.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Sergio,

I have always had a garden, and I have always had a dog (or two). Dog urine is highly acidic and will IMMEDIATELY kill a palm, especially if the palm is a small one. What is typical is that the dog will mark its spot, and continually come back to the same area to urinate. This repeated soil drenching of acidic urine will kill any and all plant material.

There are products on the market for dogs (and cats I presume) that will buffer the acid in the urine. It is a natural, organic product derived from garlic I believe. It works, but the side effects can be dangerous for their kidneys...and the product is expensive and can take up to three tablets per day for a large dog.

You CAN train your dog to mark a spot where YOU desire, with time, they will go to that area to urinate. This is what I did with my puppy, but I am sure with effort, you can do it with an adult dog too. A stake, a fence area, a rock, etc will serve this purpose.

Human urine, on the other hand, is not as acidic, and has been shown to be quite beneficial to palms...but that's another posting!

Good luck. :D

Urine is a lot cheaper then fertillizer...and better for the environment.

:D Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

As the mother of 2 furry boys, unkindly referred to as dogs by the ill educated masses, I must say that one than one of my palms have suffered a tinkle or 2. Purely for hygeine purposes, I generally give them a squirt with the hose to rinse it away and no ill effects are suffered. Big inground palms make their own arrangements.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I had a small new planting of a dwarf bamboo that was easily killed by my dog releiving himself (the same one that unplugged the drip sprayer in a previous story). Mr. Clumsy got another stern lecture and I withheld nummies for a week....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Glad to learn all this. I would think that cat pee is as bad or worse. Now I'm not quite as bummed that we have become allergic to animals and can no longer have pets.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I do not know about dog urine, but I go green & pee on a palm. I figure I save 1000's of gallons of water a year, not to mention adding a little fertilizer. Should this be another thread?

• Upvote 1

I do not know about dog urine, but I go green & pee on a palm. I figure I save 1000's of gallons of water a year, not to mention adding a little fertilizer. Should this be another thread?

And, when visiting Mike's place, you will actually be encouraged to pee on a palm...rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifwink-1.gif

• Upvote 1

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

I've got a bottle palm that looks like it's on steroids. There is no explanation other than my golden retriever pees on it every day.

mrbiggs.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Me too. blush.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My dog has peed in this one spot the whole time we have lived here.... it is brown yellow dead grass now....

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

Please

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I don't know about dog pee either, but if mine harms palms then my chamerops is in serious trouble!

• Upvote 1

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Thamks 4 all the replys, will try to keep the dogs off the planters and high legging the palms!

• 3 weeks later...

Dog pee definitely hurts plants. Very high in urea; first bruns the grass, then the grass grows like crazy.

Cat pee is almost as bad, though most cats are pretty small, so there's not so much, and relatively little damage, compared to a moose-like Great Dane.

People pee is no problem. For palms, grass, etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sort of solved the problem i think temporarly. my neighbor brought his dog over and we let him pee at certain locations away from planters, for now my dogs will only pee where his dog relieved himself, ill probably have to invite him and his dog over after every rain.

• Upvote 1