IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your winter low for 09-10?

Xenon

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• 60°F +
    • 50-60°F
    • 40-50°F
    • 30-40°F
    • 20-30°F
    • 10-20°F
    • 0-10°F
    • Below 0°F

I was 38F at the top of my hill where our house is. This has been the same low for three years in a row.

At the bottom of the property we did not go below freezing this year, but the two previous years we did.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

41F was the lowest in our regional microclimate in southern Spain. The diversity of palms grown by members is as diverse as our total weather, so I'm not sure how I would interpret the poll results.

I recorded 39F\ 3.8C on December 8, 2009 [the only night below 40F this past winter].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Mine was 20... so which box should I check?

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

It hit a daily record low here in SLO on my birthday sad.gif. It's always cold on December 8th. Low was 30F. Meanwhile, my palm garden (which is in Oregon at my mom's house) saw 12F. Like Jonathan, the coldest in 20 years. Lost several intrepid zone-pushers up there.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

I have not seen a night below 72 F for a long time. But, here I don´t expect to very often.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We hit 25F for a couple of days in December and have not been below freezing since then. However, lots of cold and windy days, some rainstorms, did not allow for marginal palms to recover, as a rule. While the lows weren't bad, the overall temps stayed well below normal.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

My low has been 35F the past 2 years. It seems like a miracle after 5 years with below freezing temps before that.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

38 or 39. I can't remember. But, only on one night.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Record low of 28.5F on Monday, Jan. 11. The carnage continued all winter.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

at home 20°f (-7°C) :rage: on aix en provence on south france!! but no less 32°f (0°c) :angry: on the coast!it was the colder winter since many years!! :(

09 or 10 ? which one ? mind you we haven't had our 10 winter yet.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

09 or 10 ? which one ? mind you we haven't had our 10 winter yet.

Oh, sorry I left out the Australians...for the Northern Hemisphere winter is from December(09)-Febuary(10).

Sorry,

Jonathan :)

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

My 2009 winter low was 0c or 32f about average ,few very light frosts .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

My 09 winter low was 1.5C. (35F) for one night.

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

In spring hill, we recorded 16.7F, with 10 days in the 20s. Last year the low was 22F, with 3 days in the 20s. The two years before that were 27.0F and 27.8F, with only 1 day in the 20s. Talk about a bad trend. Tampa bay also had it's coldest Jan-Feb-Mar on record.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

31F was my low for one day in Dec, but like Matty, I'm on hill, so I would guess the lower portion of my property was apx 5 degrees cooler.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I was lazy this winter and didn't record the temps myself.

To get a general idea, I often look at National Airport (warm microclimate, in Virginia across a wide spot of the tidal Potomac from DC) and Dulles airport (in VA around 25 miles West of DC) and split the difference. There's typically about a 5-degree difference. This winter there was a 10 degree difference! An abnormally warm winter low of 16F at National, and 6F at Dulles. I'm guessing roughly a low of 8-10F here. This is 7a, so that's a fairly mild absolute low.

With all the snow and low -average- temps (different from the absolute low) a lot of late-winter plants bloomed/grew weeks late this year. Then we had several days of 88-91F, and a lot of early-Spring plants are coming out early this year! Quite the plant explosion the last couple of weeks.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

I believe we got down to 9F in Eugene OR. Not sure back home in the Bay Area... I would guess upper 20's. We did have that freak snow incident.

Looking from family room. That is a queen palm trunk there... Its still alive.

snoworinda2.jpg

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Just checked out the official low recorded at Fairchild according to their materials was 36F. on Jan.10,2010. It was not the low temperature that did damage here in South Florida but the long-term nature of the cold. Especially from Jan.2-10.

What you look for is what is looking

My data for 2010 is here. There is one bogus bit of data though related to dewpoint. It shows the min dewpoint of -3.1F on 1/3/2010, but this is a weatherunderground data glitch (actual low dewpoint on that day was 21.3F). The temps/humidity are logged at ~6 ft above ground. I am sure that temps at the ground were ~5F colder on some nights where he air was still.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLTARPO3&day=17&year=2010&month=4&graphspan=year

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Here in coastal NE Scotland we got to 20F, colder than the last five years but not by a massive amount. As for many, it was the duration of the cold that was unusual but at least we had a fairly dry winter. Many people grow Phoenix canariensis as bedding accent plants here - they're so cheap and readily available in smaller sizes, and many are still alive. We only get to about 77F briefly during summer but it's been nice to see some of the Phoenix still alive. As for me, I've managed to nurse a Joey altifrons through winter with no protection whatsoever...... :winkie:

Mark Peters

Indoor palm grower

Monifieth, near Dundee

Scotland's sunny NE coast

Amazing low of 26.....i think.... but down the road it must have been in the 30-40 range because there are green mango trees. I think frost hurts things the most, Things closer to main roads look better too, im happy things are coming back.

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

I'm sorry but I can't believe any of you because you are all freaking out about 20F... I don't remember it getting below 0F here this year but all that is warmer than my place... try walking a mile in my shoes :winkie:

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

29F

Woah! You must have had a mild winter for Vegas!

-Jonathan

Mild, yes! :) Las Vegas usually has very mild winters, but can get very cold on occasion. In 6 out of the last 7 winters, it has not dropped below 28. I have banana plants next to the house that didn't get damaged.

03/04 - 31,31,31,30,30,29

04/05 - 31,30,30

05/06 - 30,30

06/07 - 31,31,31,30,30,29,28,26,26,25,23

07/08 - 31,31,31,30,30,29,29,28

08/09 - 31,31,30,29,29,28

09/10 - 30,29,30

Edited by velutina

Adam 

Low was -16oC here on Terdal Farm, Oklahoma, USA. Not a record, but colder than usual.

I was lucky to be in Belize that day; unfortunately, they had near-record cold in January as well.

Can you believe +10oc! Brrr....

Terdal Farm, Tulsa OK, USA http://www.terdalfarm.com/

My location in south Brandon had 10 days in a row below 30 & 1 day @ 18.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

At my house in MoooooDestooo It was 25f for a lowest temp this winter... but nothing below frezzing after december.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry but I can't believe any of you because you are all freaking out about 20F... I don't remember it getting below 0F here this year but all that is warmer than my place... try walking a mile in my shoes :winkie:

i have =] haha i grew up in Park City, UT... our winter lows were often around -15F and sometimes up to 12 feet of snow =]

this is why i moved to southern utah haha