IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops humilis var 'Vulcano'

ghar41

I haven't heard much about it lately, and I'm considering putting a couple in the ground sometime. I like the ones that ive seen that are dwarfed and spineless with a softer appearance on the leaves. Can anyone share pics or information on plants they are growing?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Is anyone selling C. vulcano in the USA? I haven't heard of any yet. I had a seedling but it got cooked in a summer heat wave.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi,

I'm growing Chamaerops humilis and the varieties cerifera and vulcano for years without any problems over here. The winter before last one was hard but last winter was even colder with the snow, and that was the first time I saw damage on my Chamaerops palms. The vulcano lost his spear and give it a treath, let's hope it will recover but they are good recovers have I heard from other people living over here.

Here it was last summer, lovely palms and in "normal" winters like I used to palms without any problems over here.

PICT0037.jpg

Robbin

• Upvote 3

Southwest

Does anyone have some detailed shots of the variety???? Would like to see shots of the fronds and spineless petioles. Thanks in advance. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Does anyone have some detailed shots of the variety???? Would like to see shots of the fronds and spineless petioles. Thanks in advance. Jv

Hi John, is it enough? :)

post-3292-12702970900505_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12702971177146_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael
  • Upvote 3

Hi John, is it enough? smilie.gif

I spy spines on your petioles, not nearly like the miniture "Shark Teeth" found on the tradition Chamaerops humilis though. biggrin.gif

post-1729-1270298305749_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Somewhere in the next week between Tuesday and Friday I will get some more for selling with my business. When they are arrived I will also take a few detail pictures from the leafes and petioles.

Robbin

Southwest

hi...

the left one is vulcano...the rihgt one my guess it is a vulcano x humilis... :unsure:

sergi.

post-1753-12703404436874_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

This thread reminds me of the time Scott Zona asked me what an example of one of my favorite palms was. I told him that Chamaerops humilis var. Vulcano was high on the list. I was able to get ahold of one about 3 years ago, and it is still loving it. It does not like overhead water, and can get small leaf syndrome from this. Here is a picture of mine today, flowering! It has small spines, I don't know if there is a spiny and spineless form, but what I have shows all the other traits of this variation.

post-36-12703405040839_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks for the introduction to the Vulcano variation - had not heard of it before. YUMMY! Hope I can find one here.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Happy Easter to all!!

Here you can see a nice " variation" ( probably a hybrid) of Vulcano,( I have shared seeds of this beauty with many of you)

and a new selected variation called

"Etna star", that should be on the market soon.

Best M@x

post-180-12703794782857_thumb.jpgpost-180-12703795018424_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 7

M@x

North Rome Italy

Max,do you know more about etna star.

When vulcano seeds are planted, around 40% are vulcanos and the others are different, can these other 60% be the etna stars or is it something completely different.

Incidentally, where I live in the UK all chamaerops are totally defoliated this winter, vulcano or otherwise at -12C.

• Upvote 1

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Max,do you know more about etna star.

When vulcano seeds are planted, around 40% are vulcanos and the others are different, can these other 60% be the etna stars or is it something completely different.

Incidentally, where I live in the UK all chamaerops are totally defoliated this winter, vulcano or otherwise at -12C.

Ciao Nigel !!

All I know ,about "Etna star" is in the photo!! Some others pics ( that I can't find actually) show that this palm have a "real blue" color, and a beautiful shape. How it could be cold tollerant, I don't know actually

Try to ask James for more info

For sure is a must have palm!!

Have a great Easter M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

My Chamaerops sp vulcano seeds arrived 3 days ago, so it was so good to see all the photos. I had only seen one small photo of it before. Now I have to hope some of the seeds germinate for me so I can grow these lovely little palms because I know for certain that they won't be on sale anywhere around here for a long time.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Happy Easter to all!!

Here you can see a nice " variation" ( probably a hybrid) of Vulcano,( I have shared seeds of this beauty with many of you)

and a new selected variation called

"Etna star", that should be on the market soon.

Best M@x

Dear Brother M@x :)

Its been a long time we all heard from you in this forum...And here are some stills of the Vulcano hybrid that you sent me...They are growing fine hope they can survive our hot wet humid tropical climate when planted in the ground.

post-108-12703928693467_thumb.jpg. . .post-108-12703928916239_thumb.jpg

post-108-12703929352627_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

kris :)

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Anyone know where I can find a few seeds??? :drool:

Hi Jay,

I bought mine from Rare Palm Seeds. You can check their website to see if they have any left for sale.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Here's my Vulcano - the crown is still not entirely full - following being transplanted approx 2.5 years ago. The spines are not altogether absent but are fewer in number and tiny compared to the standard C Humilis. Mine has also proved to be much slower growing than my standard C Humilis but far prettier in my opinion.

Cheers Jeff

post-4116-1270474498425_thumb.jpg

post-4116-12704746319625_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Anyone know where I can find a few seeds??? :drool:

Hi Jay,

I bought mine from Rare Palm Seeds. You can check their website to see if they have any left for sale.

Peachy

Thanks for the info, Peachy!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Luisd - I love your photos of the volcano!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

This morning I took photos of a Chamaerops that was given to me by a fellow PalmTalker in 2008 as a 1-leaf seedling. It is supposedly a var. vulcano but when I posted photos of it last spring on EPS member consensus was that it was not a vulcano but a "regular" Chamaerops because the fronds were too long. After reading this post I see why that may be the case, as apparently only a % of vulcano seeds come up true. No matter, because I like this palm a lot. It is vivid green, tough and just laughed at my wretched winter. And now it is cheerfully growing in spring sunshine. In some of my photos you can see a regular Chamaerops seedling I germinated from seed last spring.

What do y'all think?

Chamerops humilis (var. vulcano?)

post-1349-12706594246934_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12706594522049_thumb.jpg

Note Chamaerops seedling in pot in 4th photo

post-1349-1270659544095_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12706595679527_thumb.jpg

Overhead view of Chamerops humilis (var. vulcano?)

post-1349-12706596221799_thumb.jpg

Chamerops humilis (var. vulcano?) & potted Cham seedling

post-1349-12706596838706_thumb.jpgpost-1349-12706597022725_thumb.jpg

post-1349-12706597287847_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It hasnt the vulcano look, but still is very beautiful! :)

Thanks, Rafael. I really would like to try a true vulcano but they just aren't available. Seeds from RPS cost 17+ euros for 10, a lot of money for me, esp. considering they may not germinate true. Maybe someday.

Meg

Florida

I too just started some seeds from RPS. I hope I am able to germinate them and have them at sales as seedlings at least. I loved seeing all of the pix of the Vulcano. I am loving it.

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

more...

post-1753-12708479502875_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708479876162_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708480428772_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708480996815_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708481325662_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708481866007_thumb.jpg

best regards

Oh, wow, it's beautiful. I love it. Thanks for the photos.

Meg

Florida

I am so hoping I can get some of my vulcano seeds to germinate. Even though several species of seeds bought from RPS in the last 8 months have done nothing at all, I just had to take the risk and pay the money for a chance at growing some of these lovely palms. Meg I know what you mean, sometimes the higher priced seeds arent worth the risk involved, more so when on a limited income. I guess if we are meant to get one it will happen.

Peachy

27.35 south.

• 7 years later...
On 09. 04. 2010., sergiskan said:

more...

post-1753-12708479502875_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708479876162_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708480428772_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708480996815_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708481325662_thumb.jpg

post-1753-12708481866007_thumb.jpg

best regards

Beautiful palm. This one has the best '' Vulcano '' look. 

• Upvote 1

Same palm, about 10 years later. Leaves are still very small, top of palm is very crowded and the petioles are very broad and almost spineless!

Wim.

IMG_20170828_150120vulcano.jpg

IMG_20170828_150129vulcano.jpg

• Upvote 9

23 hours ago, sergiskan said:

Beautiful "palmitos" Vulcanos in this thread!

The same Vulcano seven years later.

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.2e78b0c9f4c05140f96c5

Regards.

I hope that mine will look like this. Awesome looking palm.

• Upvote 1

On 07/04/2010, 18:46:35, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks, Rafael. I really would like to try a true vulcano but they just aren't available. Seeds from RPS cost 17+ euros for 10, a lot of money for me, esp. considering they may not germinate true. Maybe someday.

Meg, did you get some seeds or seedlings, meanwhile?