IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Post-Winter Fatalities

palmsOrl

After this amazingly persistent winter (record cold in-fact), I have to-date lost only 3 palms. The first photo is what is left of my Cocos nucifera "Pacific Tall", brought back from Hawaii in 2005 as one of those bagged Cocos seedlings sold in gift shops. It was planted in too much shade and has never been a very strong grower, it has given up the ghost to fungus recently.

updatedgardenphotos32510011.jpg

Thank you Zeeth! I had a number of photos I was going to post, but wanted to get this first one posted correctly first. How exactly did you get the photo to appear like you did? Thanks a bunch.

-Michael

I've attached a screen shot of how I did it. You remove the text I circled in red and it should work

Untitled-1.jpg

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank you for taking the time to show me that Zeeth :) Ok...I also lost my Adonidia to a raging fungal infection, that despite many systemic fungicide treatments, has turned the top of the trunk mushy and has killed it.

updatedgardenphotos32510013.jpg

The Carpie (far left) was defoliated, but survived 25 F unprotected and is showing new growth and a new inflorescence. The Areca triandra just to its right was brought to the brink of death too, but will survive I think. Meanwhile, the Arch. cunninghamiana didn't even blink at the cold, pretty amazing!

updatedgardenphotos32510018.jpg

Things look remarkably well considering we had a record cold winter (Dec. 21 - Mar. 21). What this has taught me is that absolute lows trump chill duration with regards to damage, at least here in Florida. We bottomed out at 25 F in my yard, two nights total in the mid 20s, about 7-8 other nights in the upper 20s, and quite a few between 30-32. If, however, we had experienced even one night in the low 20s (ala 1989), I would have outright lost most everything in my garden.

updatedgardenphotos32510019.jpg

My foxtail is also showing signs of recovery, and should have nearly a full crown by next fall. I forgot to mention I also lost a scrawny 1 ft. Phoenix dactylifera that has struggled for the 6 + years I've had it. The wet cold must have done it in, in its already weak state.

updatedgardenphotos32510024.jpg

Your Palms look great considering the low temperatures. It is great to see folks pushing the limits. They all look like they will be completely back by July.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks Bubba, I think they will be mostly recovered by July too. If 19/20 of my palms can survive the coldest (on average) winter on record here on the edge of the Orlando urban heat island, I will continue and expand my zone pushing efforts!

-Michael

Add to the death toll a small (10 inch) Thrinax radiata that I had planted in a fairly shady, protected spot in the garden. It was defoliated this winter but the spear was still green, so when I went to trim off the dead leaves, the bases were mushy and the leaves easily pulled away. Well...the spear pulled and you know the rest. One of the stems of my triple trunked Dypsis cabadae might be next, as it has developed a mushy area on the trunk just below the crownshaft. I treated it with a stiff dose of systemic fungicide today so we shall see. Also, I believe I am know the grower who has pushed an Areca triandra closest to freeze death, without it actually dying. Mine was of course defoliated this winter, and the spear is brown (the trunk and crownshaft still look healthy though, so I have held out hope). The poor palm has had to push like 4" of necrotic leaf spear out (in addition to 3 ft. already exposed during the freeze) before, finally, the spear is emerging fat and healthy green. I would say 25 F is this species' minimum survivable temperature.

-Michael

Add to the list my 8 ft. Hyophorbe verscheffeltii. The trunk looks kinda withered, and the spear pulled today. I think I'm gonna put a triple trunk Ptychosperma bleeseri in its place, the fun continues.

-Michael