Sign in to follow this  
neoflora

Looking for the real D. ambositrae

Jeff Searle

Greg,

Your pic.#1 is for sure the Dypsis sp. Fine Leaf.

Your pic. #2 looks like a small D. ambositrae,I agree.

Your pic. #3 is not D. ambositrae, for sure. I'm not sure what it is. It looks like 3 or 4 different species, just don't know which one.

Jeff

edric
Steve,

By looking at the amount of pictures you just posted, do you think we can tell that your excited about your palm?? :D  I can't believe for one reason why your palm is not anything BUT Dypsis ambositrae. You should be very proud to have this palm doing so well for you!  Extreamly nice!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

Jeff, could you please re-post the photo of the true D. ambositrae in habitat, thanks, Ed

edric

Does anybody have a photo of the true ambositrae in Habitat, thanks, Ed

Kim

Ed, I have posted these photos a few times, but they don't clear up the confusion.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

juvenile

DSC_0176.jpg

edric
Ed, I have posted these photos a few times, but they don't clear up the confusion.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

juvenile

DSC_0176.jpg

I see what you mean, thanks Kim, I really wanted too see them though, Ed

Moose

On August 3 the South Florida Palm Society had a meeting. :D Pete Balasky very generously donated some very rare palms for the auction which he had wild collected. :yay: One was a Dypsis ambositrae which yours truly was the winning bidder. I will not tell you what the winning bid was because it would make you ill :sick: . There was alot of palms donated for this meeting and most attendees walked away with some outstanding deals. :greenthumb:

Here is a couple photos of the Dypsis ambositrae:I think I will wait until next spring to put in the ground.

post-1729-1250959604_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1250959678_thumb.jpg

edric
On August 3 the South Florida Palm Society had a meeting. :D Pete Balasky very generously donated some very rare palms for the auction which he had wild collected. :yay: One was a Dypsis ambositrae which yours truly was the winning bidder. I will not tell you what the winning bid was because it would make you ill :sick: . There was alot of palms donated for this meeting and most attendees walked away with some outstanding deals. :greenthumb:

Here is a couple photos of the Dypsis ambositrae:I think I will wait until next spring to put in the ground.

Mines approaching a 1 inch diameter stem, looks like that stem is nearly 2 inches? Ed

Moose

Ed - my stem is about 1.5 inches in diameter (3.5 cm). Including the heel, 2.5 inches (7.0 cm). The emerging petiole is very colorful (colourful) this morning. :drool:

Ron. :)

post-1729-1251026573_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1251026659_thumb.jpg

edric
Ed - my stem is about 1.5 inches in diameter (3.5 cm). Including the heel, 2.5 inches (7.0 cm). The emerging petiole is very colorful (colourful) this morning. :drool:

Ron. :)

I just received mine also, the new leaf was just finishing opening, so I haven't seen it push a new spear yet, but the rest is very red like that, shouldn't be long, Ed

palmcurry

Been researching Dypsis arenarum and Dypsis kindro and came across this thread. Love the pics in posts 104 and 124.

Tyrone

This is a blast from the past.