IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for the real D. ambositrae

neoflora

I was searching again for the thread on D. ambositrae. I believe Jeff Searle posted a picture of one in habitat. Do we still have it in the system? What was the link?Ron

Ron and Luis, THANK YOU so much for bringing back this post and pics as I could not find it. I now know with certainty this is the palm I have! I will post pics that show the similarities in the recurving of the fronds, red petioles and white crownshaft for you to compare. Thanks again, Steve

post-351-1165209706_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Another pic from last year.

post-351-1165209898_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Now some pics from this year.

post-351-1165210018_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple shots of the trunk detail.

post-351-1165210124_thumb.jpg

another close up. You can see the heel to the right.

post-351-1165210270_thumb.jpg

And here are a couple more recent pics.

post-351-1165210391_thumb.jpg

another showing the newly opened frond that recurves and has a 180 twist.

post-351-1165210533_thumb.jpg

and another from a differant angle.

post-351-1165210652_thumb.jpg

And one last close up of the trunk. I would be real interested in any pics if any of you are growing this one. Thanks, Steve

post-351-1165211059_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the link FossilNypa - so nice to go back over that thread and the awesome pics of this palm.

Steve in So Cal, great to see yours too, that's a very robust-looking ambo - what a gem!

But looking at the pics, I don't really see how the fine-leaf could have been confused with it.  The ambo looks quite different - it has a "bolder" look, thicker petioles and that pretty red - and the fronds seem to emerge at a more horizontal angle, is that right?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Steve,

By looking at the amount of pictures you just posted, do you think we can tell that your excited about your palm?? :D  I can't believe for one reason why your palm is not anything BUT Dypsis ambositrae. You should be very proud to have this palm doing so well for you!  Extreamly nice!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 04 2006,08:58)

Steve,

By looking at the amount of pictures you just posted, do you think we can tell that your excited about your palm?? :D  I can't believe for one reason why your palm is not anything BUT Dypsis ambositrae. You should be very proud to have this palm doing so well for you!  Extreamly nice!!! Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

Jeff, After seeing those pics of yours in habitat again I get very excited thinking my palm could look like that someday! This is a palm that needs to be in cultivation as it has been an easy and fast grower for me even growing through the winter. I still kick myself when I think that I had about 10 of these at one time and sold them all except this one. Anyone have more pics :P . Thanks,Steve

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 04 2006,07:41)

Thanks for posting the link FossilNypa - so nice to go back over that thread and the awesome pics of this palm.

Steve in So Cal, great to see yours too, that's a very robust-looking ambo - what a gem!

But looking at the pics, I don't really see how the fine-leaf could have been confused with it.  The ambo looks quite different - it has a "bolder" look, thicker petioles and that pretty red - and the fronds seem to emerge at a more horizontal angle, is that right?

Just to be clear...Steve from San Diego can grow Dypsis, Steve in So Cal kills them (at least mine are brown and crunchy...does that mean they're dead?)

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 04 2006,05:58)

Steve,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Did those in habitat have a heel?  If so I may be fortunate to have some of these.

Regards, Greg

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

Steve did you catch this from my post? I replied to the link hoping you would see it, not realising in it was in the "cable/dsl" section...("travel logs") It looked just like it when I perused that link.  COOL  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

So Steve (in SD), Since I know you've also got some of those D. onilahensis that came from Floribunda this year, do you think that they look like your D. ambositrae when it was young?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'll second MattyB's question for Steve.  Ron (neoflora) has a palm that is supposed to be the real ambositrae that I saw a couple weekends ago, and it look exactly the same as the palm that Floribunda is selling right now as D onilahensis.  I know that Steve has these (he gave me mine)...so Steve does it look the same as your "red decipiens"?  (that's what the palm he posted was sold as).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(MattyB @ Dec. 04 2006,12:03)

So Steve (in SD), Since I know you've also got some of those D. onilahensis that came from Floribunda this year, do you think that they look like your D. ambositrae when it was young?

Matty B and Matt, Unfotunately while the palms I got from floribunda as D. Onilahensis are extremely beautifull and something differant their just another Dypsis mystery and in no way resemble the palms in this post. In fact the only things they share in common is their both Dypsis and they have a heel. The palm I have when it was small looked like a strange D. Decipiens with recurved fronds and very narrow almost overlapping leaflets. The other differance was the newest petiole and new spear were bright red. The palms I recently got from Floribunda have a much more upright growth habit and a significant space between the leaflets also of the 10 or so that I have none have shown any red coloration, only purple, lavender to almost hot pink. Whatever these turn out to be their gonna be awesome. Here is a pic of one of mine shortly after I recieved them. Steve

post-351-1165283147_thumb.jpg

And heres a closeup to show some of the color.

post-351-1165283259_thumb.jpg

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Dec. 04 2006,09:59)

Just to be clear...Steve from San Diego can grow Dypsis, Steve in So Cal kills them (at least mine are brown and crunchy...does that mean they're dead?)

Steve in San Diego - is my face red!  I am so sorry - this is one of those faux pas that result when the old gal doesn't wear her reading glasses!  :P  

And thanks for clearing it up, Steve in So Cal.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 04 2006,22:24)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Dec. 04 2006,09:59)

Steve in San Diego - is my face red!  I am so sorry - this is one of those faux pas that result when the old gal doesn't wear her reading glasses!  :P  

And thanks for clearing it up, Steve in So Cal.

No worrys Sunnyfl. We actually get each others PM's from time to time  :D . Steve

Here's what I bought as the wild ambositrae. I've got 5 of them. Do you think these are the real deal?

P4300161.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Another angle.

P4300160.jpg

These ones seem to be getting a tillering root too. If they're not the real deal they're something I don't have yet.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jeff Searle,

Would you happen to know if the ambositrae you saw in habitat had a heel?

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

(Tyrone @ Dec. 06 2006,07:50)

Another angle.

P4300160.jpg

These ones seem to be getting a tillering root too. If they're not the real deal they're something I don't have yet.

Tyrone, It's hard to tell but I like some of the things I'm seeing. It has that Decipiens look, recurved fronds and I'm seeing a little red in there too! I hope you have the real deal. Steve

Tyrone, that palm looks very similar to the palm going around now as Dypsis 'kindreo'.  I have a 'kindreo' and also an onilahensis that Steve posted the photo of these two are pretty hard to tell apart (I'm not even convinced yet that they are actually different palms).  I really don't know what either of these is going to grow up to look like.  Bruno once posted a photo of 'kindreo' and it looked very much like onilahensis.

I'm curious with the onilahensis currently coming from Floribunda.  I've heard (I think here) that Jeff Marcus is certain that these are onilahensis.  Does anyone know if the seed came off of his tree (I'm pretty sure he has a seeding onilahensis)?  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(Tyrone @ Dec. 06 2006,07:47)

Here's what I bought as the wild ambositrae. I've got 5 of them. Do you think these are the real deal?

P4300161.jpg

Tyrone,

I have plants also this same size showing some red in the new spear leaf. I am 99.9% sure this will turn out to be Dypsis ambositrae.

Greg,

I honestly did not remember if this has a heel or not. I have a sneaky feeling that it might get one at some point in time. My gut feeling.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tyrone,

I'm pretty sure you have the true D. ambositrae.  As Matt said, this palm has been sold as D. "kindreo", but it's identical to the palm labeled D. ambositrae at the Tsimbazaza in Madagascar.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 06 2006,14:03)

Greg,

I honestly did not remember if this has a heel or not. I have a sneaky feeling that it might get one at some point in time. My gut feeling.

Jeff

Mine all have a heel....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(Matt in SD @ Dec. 06 2006,12:31)

Tyrone, that palm looks very similar to the palm going around now as Dypsis 'kindreo'.  I have a 'kindreo' and also an onilahensis that Steve posted the photo of these two are pretty hard to tell apart (I'm not even convinced yet that they are actually different palms).  I really don't know what either of these is going to grow up to look like.  Bruno once posted a photo of 'kindreo' and it looked very much like onilahensis.

I'm curious with the onilahensis currently coming from Floribunda.  I've heard (I think here) that Jeff Marcus is certain that these are onilahensis.  Does anyone know if the seed came off of his tree (I'm pretty sure he has a seeding onilahensis)?  

Matt

Matt,

I also got some seed with the name Kindreo. These are turning out just like the ones in the pics. They are most certaintly not D. onilahensis in my opinion.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have seen the name 'Kindreo' used for several Dypsis through the years.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Tyrone @ Dec. 06 2006,07:50)

Another angle.

P4300160.jpg

The only thing I can say is that´s certainly not the ´´faky´´ambositrae!! :)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

It looks like the real deal. :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Well, the concensus seems to point to my plants being the real deal most likely. Super.

Now I'll just have to grow them all up and get them seeding, and get them into wider cultivation. See you in a few years.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Kindro is a local name. It represent many species. I got some seed a number of years ago as D. kindreo. It is not D. ambositrae. I saw a larger palm in Tana in Alfred's nursery. It looked like a thin leaf D. onilahensis. Very recurved leaflets. Very ornamental. Many things thru the years have been sold with this name. I presently have both D. kindreo & D. ambositrae. John Dransfield and Henk Beentje gave us a road map. That will need some revision. Mardy Darian gave us the inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Ron

(Steve from San Diego @ Dec. 04 2006,20:45)

(MattyB @ Dec. 04 2006,12:03)

Matty B and Matt, Unfotunately while the palms I got from floribunda as D. Onilahensis are extremely beautifull and something differant their just another Dypsis mystery and in no way resemble the palms in this post. In fact the only things they share in common is their both Dypsis and they have a heel. The palm I have when it was small looked like a strange D. Decipiens with recurved fronds and very narrow almost overlapping leaflets. The other differance was the newest petiole and new spear were bright red. The palms I recently got from Floribunda have a much more upright growth habit and a significant space between the leaflets also of the 10 or so that I have none have shown any red coloration, only purple, lavender to almost hot pink. Whatever these turn out to be their gonna be awesome. Here is a pic of one of mine shortly after I recieved them. Steve

These same looking palms were sold in Australia they were sold as wild collected D.ambositrae,I have some in 10" pots now and they look more like a form of D.baronii time will tell, and we are all used to waiting for things to  grow so this is another one to keep our eyes on over the next few years. :P

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com