IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

WOW, Kentiopsis piersoniorum news!

BS Man about Palms

Man- I just wish it would open a leaf already! But if you look, thats A LOT of Material its pushing for a piersoniorum!!

post-27-12747450601832_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That's really great news Bill, looks like it's going to make it, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Its still slowly pushing out....

post-27-12757059533476_thumb.jpg

But...

post-27-12757060012795_thumb.jpg

The last "old" leaf has definitely turned downhill...It had better open the new leaf soon or ...

I'll..

Uhh...

cry.:(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No one has stolen that quarter yet?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Nope. Quarters and magnifica's are safe in this neighborhood...

OK Sorry. That was mean of me. :(

Its still slowly pushing out....

post-27-12757059533476_thumb.jpg

But...

post-27-12757060012795_thumb.jpg

The last "old" leaf has definitely turned downhill...It had better open the new leaf soon or ...

I'll..

Uhh...

cry.:(

Bill,

I'm surprise you didn't mark the palm with the famous pen line. Forgive me if you did and mentioned it in a previous post. If you can, maybe today you can go out and draw a big line across the spear for all of us and give us all a daily follow-up with up close pictures. :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Bill, this has been interesting to watch. I sure hop it makes it, but I guess this is the point where I'd remove some of the dead stuff so the plant can direct all it's energy into the new sprout. Is this not a good idea with palms?

Susan

From past info I've read and observed, palms have the ability to "uptake" nutrients from past growth, another reason to not trim unless "brown and down". Unlike Cycads that are "supplying" the leaves from the stores in the caudex.

All that being said, its getting close to time. I'll probably have an ulcer when it comes time to cut the old off.:(

I hope it pulls through for you Bill!smilie.gif Its very sad when a big slow growing palm starts decliningsad.gif Have you checked its roots and its base for rot/further damage? Is the spear maybe damaging the base of the old leaf in some manner?

I look forward to its recovery!!!smilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 2 weeks later...
:(

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

What happened Bill? Is there any chance you can take out whats left with whatever is living and place it in a very humid and sterile environment (preferably after surface sterilizing the plant too,especially if roots are dead or rotting)in a bright spot and hope it reroots and grows?

Otherwise...sad.gif My condolencessad.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Oceanside, CA. USA

On Jun 21, 2010 Miss Kentiopsis piersoniorum of Oceanside succumbed to her illness after a year of fighting. She had fought valiantly even trying to "take her life in a new direction". But in the end, it was all too much. She was a beautiful palm early in her short life (10 years) and only went downhill in the last year. The post mortem autopsy indicated a fungus, possibly brought on by her anxious owner overwatering without much heat as she appeared to make a turnaround in the last few months. A thought that is sure to haunt him for some time.

She is survived by her brothers and sisters all living in Oceanside also. Kentiopsis magnifica, Kentiopsis oliviformis and the youngest Kentiopsis pyriformis, a a fresh youthful model who looked up to her older sister for her beauty, fragile as it was.

Due to the ravages brought on by the disease, the family did not have a public service and was interred on June 26th with a small service. The family asks that you send Kentiopsis piersoniorum seeds or seedlings in lieu of flowers.

Oceanside, CA. USA

On Jun 21, 2010 Miss Kentiopsis piersoniorum of Oceanside succumbed to her illness after a year of fighting. She had fought valiantly even trying to "take her life in a new direction". But in the end, it was all too much. She was a beautiful palm early in her short life (10 years) and only went downhill in the last year. The post mortem autopsy indicated a fungus, possibly brought on by her anxious owner overwatering without much heat as she appeared to make a turnaround in the last few months. A thought that is sure to haunt him for some time.

She is survived by her brothers and sisters all living in Oceanside also. Kentiopsis magnifica, Kentiopsis oliviformis and the youngest Kentiopsis pyriformis, a a fresh youthful model who looked up to her older sister for her beauty, fragile as it was.

Due to the ravages brought on by the disease, the family did not have a public service and was interred on June 26th with a small service. The family asks that you send Kentiopsis piersoniorum seeds or seedlings in lieu of flowers.

Bill, so sorry for your loss. But thanks for the obituary, it made me smile...

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thanks-

I think I should include a beauty shot to show her colors from less than 3 years ago..it seems fitting somehow. :crying:

post-27-12775827297665_thumb.jpg

Nice eulogy. Would it make you feel better to come to my house and visit it's big brother?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Love the colors in that final tribute photo. Sorry, Bill. Is it time to ask yourself, "Why Oceanside...?"

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bill, since the rest of your palms were witness to the crime, how about placing them in the Levine witness protection program? They will be same here at my place.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Bill,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost such a rare,well respected palm from New Caledonia. These are not easy to come by, and take an extreamly long time to get some size on one.

Well, next time you come this way for a visit, I'll show you it's larger,first cousin that's growing in the shadehouse. :winkie:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Love the colors in that final tribute photo. Sorry, Bill. Is it time to ask yourself, "Why Oceanside...?"

Or why California?? Move to the Big Island and grow a grove of Kentiopsis piersoniorum.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html