IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Photos

Utopia Palms

Ravenea glauca

post-592-1165626348_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Clayton,

Your collection is nothing short of impressive! :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 08 2006,20:39)

Clayton,

Your collection is nothing short of impressive! :D

Jeff

Thanks jeff, but it would be great if we had the growth that they have in hawaii,our marojejya has about 1ft of trunk but jeff.M one leaves it for dead!!, same with those other large dypsis amazing!!!It would take us another 20 years to get our ones that big..We all might have to move to the tropics or even better we all move to jeffs place his going away i don't think he would mind!! :D  :D untill he got back anyway :angry:  :angry: !!

The back of the farm still alot to go

post-592-1165629725_thumb.jpg

Some other photos other than dypsis

Kentiopsis magnifica.

post-592-1165629865_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pritchardiopsis Jeanneneyi

post-592-1165630517_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Raphia hookeri

post-592-1165630905_thumb.jpg

Orania disticha from p.n.g

post-592-1165631079_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

(Utopia Palms @ Dec. 08 2006,21:15)

Clayton,

Nice to see this one! This is got to be one of the rarest palms in the world. Without being to nosey, is there any info. you can share with the group on how you were able to accquire a plant or seed? If not, no big deal. Thanks,

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Clayton,

Lots of beautiful palms and plenty of interesting Dypsis! I don't want to mess up your thread here, so I'm going to start a new one and bring up a couple of Dypsis mysteries!!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 08 2006,21:53)

(Utopia Palms @ Dec. 08 2006,21:15)

Clayton,

Nice to see this one! This is got to be one of the rarest palms in the world. Without being to nosey, is there any info. you can share with the group on how you were able to accquire a plant or seed? If not, no big deal. Thanks,

Jeff

Hi jeff ,this plant is over 16 years old, I got one seed years ago it took 2 years to germinate it also come in with some lavoixia seed which did not germinate.  I think Lavoxia beats the Pritchardiopsis as the rarest sp its near imposible to germinate, I would put it in with Hyophorbe amaricaulis which is also imposible to germinate, WHAT DO YOU THINK?? ???

(Utopia Palms @ Dec. 08 2006,16:18)

DYPSIS SP HIGH-LAND REDNECK

Clayton what a wonderful display!  Thanks for the photos!

I'm happy to see this Highland Redneck as I just bought a nice 15 gal (grabbed it just moments before Matt in SD got to it)

I hope it does well for me here in San Diego...

Thanks-

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 08 2006,23:29)

I'm happy to see this Highland Redneck as I just bought a nice 15 gal (grabbed it just moments before Matt in SD got to it)

Thanks-

Bill

HI Bill, if you need any more Jeff Marcus has some small ones again, if he has the same name still on them ask for D.hovitrendrindra they are a little slow but worth the wait.

This one has made it in a pot thus far, but I've heard its a difficult grow here in the San Diego area.  Maybe it would be wise to get backups!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Clayton, With all the Dypsis Mysteries thanks for clearing one up for me :D . I bought a couple Dypsis Hovitrenrindra from jeff just because it was something differant. Whats with these names anyhows ??? maybe the longer the name the more rarer it sounds and = more $. Cool palm though, even as a one leafer it looked like Lastelliana. Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(Utopia Palms @ Dec. 09 2006,00:57)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 08 2006,23:29)

Thanks-

Bill

HI Bill, if you need any more Jeff Marcus has some small ones again, if he has the same name still on them ask for D.hovitrendrindra they are a little slow but worth the wait.

Clayton,

I think I remember you asking JD about this species earlier, but he knows of no such(species) name. I also have a few small ones from Jeff M. They look like D. lastelliana. So what exactly are they? Is this "hovitrendrindra" a locality name? I want to know the correct way of writing the name, say on my plant tags. Would Dypsis sp. hovitrendrinda be the correct way of writing this out?? If JD dosen't know this as a legit name, who then came up with it and from where?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 09 2006,17:32)

(Utopia Palms @ Dec. 09 2006,00:57)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 08 2006,23:29)

Thanks-

Bill

Clayton,

I think I remember you asking JD about this species earlier, but he knows of no such(species) name. I also have a few small ones from Jeff M. They look like D. lastelliana. So what exactly are they? Is this "hovitrendrindra" a locality name? I want to know the correct way of writing the name, say on my plant tags. Would Dypsis sp. hovitrendrinda be the correct way of writing this out?? If JD dosen't know this as a legit name, who then came up with it and from where?

Jeff

Hi jeff, what can i say i was very supprised with john's reply ? My collector has been very good with his naming of  his seed and he always has his permits to collect, as you can see with my collection the naming has been very good. You have the right name or the name it was sent in under anyway, but I would probably label it like so Dypsis sp nova hovitrendrinda, and we will see what becomes of it once it has been botanicaly named! that's all we can do !!Im not going to stir the pot up but there are a lot of cities sp being sold over there when its quite clear that these sp can not be sold untill they are produced in cultivated plants or the goverment comes to some agreement with the land owners so as to protect the sp, you know the story on the carpoxlyon and whats been going on !!!!!

Dypsis fibrosa

post-592-1165715149_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
Brahea decumbens

Hi Clayton,

I have questions regarding your Brahea decumbens against the rain level in your area. Do you plant it under canopy or on open place which catch the rain and sun?

Thanks in advance,

Hendriks

Wow. Thanks for bumping this thread! I never saw this one until now.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hendriks,

We don't really mind you bumping this thread since lots of people probably havn't seen it. OR, forgot all about it. BUT, on a more general note, not really a good idea to bump a three year old Dypsis thread and ask a Brahea question!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo-

To be fair, There is a Brahea photo from Clayton in there. But in a way, it would be like asking you how to grow a Trachycarpus...

Anywho...Len, it was good to reread this and I spotted post 109 and noticed that it is more likely to be the Dypsis "hankona/USA-tsarantananenis/Bo-mystery" palm than what J. Marcus and some others are calling the "true bejofo". Both are dirt slow, but one tends to have a long petiole with short plumose leaflets that are small (hankona) the Bejofo has a more normal leaf/petiole arrangement but is thin leafed also.

Now if we could get Clayton to post some updates! :D

• Upvote 1

Bill, I'm fully aware of that (the Brahea photo). But, bottom line: the heading is "...Dypsis...". Someone who has a Brahea question would probably stand a better chance of getting an answer by starting a new thread. It's certainly more than conceivable that many "Brahea people" may not even bother to look at this thread. And, of course, we havn't seen Clayton around here for quite a while...

• 8 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2009‎ ‎1‎:‎11‎:‎52‎, LJG said:

Wow. Thanks for bumping this thread! I never saw this one until now.

Worthy of a second bump in my opinion :drool:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

A great snapshot in time. I must have blown through it back then, unable to relate to much. I didn't know there was a Pritchardiopsis anywhere outside of NewCal. Actually, Saribus now..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Still such an amazing thread especially considering when it was first posted.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii