IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida v. Chatham Island

Darold Petty

This palm is 19 years old, has grown very strongly, and is incredibly fertile. The trunk is 42 inches tall below the crownshaft and is 9 inches in diameter. I propagated a recent seed crop and have 40 or 50 extras. I will divide and mail the extras to the first 3 people who PM their California address to me! Good growing to all!

post-31-12693742332294_thumb.jpg post-31-12693743059348_thumb.jpg

San Francisco, California

This palm is 19 years old, has grown very strongly, and is incredibly fertile. The trunk is 42 inches tall below the crownshaft and is 9 inches in diameter. I propagated a recent seed crop and have 40 or 50 extras. I will divide and mail the extras to the first 3 people who PM their California address to me! Good growing to all!

Hi Darold

I have 25 chatham Island Rhopalostylis that i germinated from PogoBob. What an awesome and robust palm for the cooler climate - if mine turn out like this one they will make quite a statement in the garden !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hello Troy; I think from previous photos that PogoBob's R. sapida Chatham is larger and more heavy-bodied than mine! It's great to hear you have his seedlings.

Game over, the seeds will be mailed soon. MattyB, Hollywood Palms, and Hadogenes are the three fast responders. Plus, I'm sending a few extras to others. Were you reading Palmtalk during business hours, MattyB ? naughty guy! :D

Beautiful palms! I have about 20 seedlings of these that I got as seeds from Malcom Thomas from New Zealand. They have grown fast for me. Will be planting them in the ground soon.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Thanks Darold! I don't work. I just sit on palmtalk 24/7.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks Darold! I'll give your babies a great home.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I just received the little Rhopies. "Just germinated seeds"? Dude, these things are seedlings already! Thanks for your gernerosity Darold!

-Matt

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Seedlings is the right description! Thank you!

Now to see how they'll fare in our borderline climate in Temecula.

Thanks,

Mike

Game over, the seeds will be mailed soon. MattyB, Hollywood Palms, and Hadogenes are the three fast responders. Plus, I'm sending a few extras to others. Were you reading Palmtalk during business hours, MattyB ? naughty guy! :D

Thanks so much! These seedings will enjoy their new Hollywood home.

Mucho Mahalo,

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Many Thanks Darold!,

Can't believe how fast they arrived...nice healthy roots,

and finally warming here so hopefully away they go.

That was very generous of you! My first non-natives I get to grow..

Thanks,Max

• 1 month later...

Hello, do you have anymore seeds left?

-Scott ( San Diego)

Scott Jaykell

San Diego, California

Zone 10b, location 10 miles inland from the ocean