IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

3-20-10 FULL PRA day plus, tall Rhopys, Jubea's, rare Dypsis

BS Man about Palms

Great photos of an awesome garden!!! Thanks for sharing your experience with usdrool.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Len I left early because that guy in the purple pants was creepin me out. Hopefully we'll see some photos of the second garden. Very cool garden as well.

San Marcos CA

Love the sculpted soil around the palms in Bill's shots (#17). All very surreal, and incredibly tidy!

John- That was from the 3rd garden I went to that day. Dennis W. Like the other two, sadly not regular posters... :( However, Dennis son has posted here in the past..

I'll finish up my bit and I LOVE Kim's add in. Go ahead everyone, pile on!! (Don't forget to check where Vince posted in the original thread in Chapter news)

Dennis said he got this originally as Dypsis sahonofensis?

post-27-12692122947502_thumb.jpg

Like a moth to Flame, I went BACK to compare to the Mystery D. Hankona..

post-27-12692123334604_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Len I left early because that guy in the purple pants was creepin me out. Hopefully we'll see some photos of the second garden. Very cool garden as well.

Hey, I was just trying out as a live action Dr Pepper can...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dennis is managing to keep a Dypsis bejoufa chugging along. It will a long time before Kim or anyone else can stand under it admiringly!

post-27-12692125130225_thumb.jpg

A pretty healthy Actinokentia divartica.

post-27-12692125491883_thumb.jpg

Dennis and Ralph Velez are throwing down the gauntlet on blasting a Chambeyronia lepidota out of the park...I think he said 6-8 years to get to this size? Ralphs is barely larger.

post-27-12692126882229_thumb.jpg

And lastly some unknown large Livistona that Dennis has. I noticed the leaf has MORE than a 360 degree turn around the hastula!!

post-27-12692127634695_thumb.jpg

Sadly, that's it for the pix...

BUT, my friends spousal units called for them, so Bill dropped me like a hot potato at Kim's place nearby for a delish BBQ and relax-a-thon until her brother Alan (avb) dropped me off on his way home.

Killer Day!!!!

Please add on as desired! Snark away like I know you will..

post-27-12692125130225_thumb.jpg

Oh dear what's happening here ? Is that a scene from a space flick ?

Star Wars: The Bejoufa Wranglers

Edited by Greenleaf

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Post lunch break, the PRA team has sighted the garden of Leland Fletcher.

post-216-12692179310841_thumb.jpg post-216-12692179455198_thumb.jpg

Matt/Freakypalmguy gives the secret handshake to Bob/Palmgrover.

post-216-1269217962172_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You can sort of pick this place out from the street as being the home of a palmophile.

post-216-12692182395121_thumb.jpg

Pohonkelapa surrenders.

post-216-12692182586608_thumb.jpg

Young Hyophorbe lagenicaulis -- hey, wait a minute, they don't grow here!

post-216-12692182751841_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim,

I love your pics. Really nice. The K.oliviforms is frakin AWESOME! It was good to meet you too.

Good also to meet these guys too after being on palmtalk the past two years. I actually got close enough to witness the snarkism first hand! Luckily I escaped unhindered......for now!

Jim_Wright3-20-2010__45.jpg

Bill senior PRA official :)

Jim_Wright3-20-2010__19BS_Man.jpg

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Now here's something you don't see every day: Pseudophoenix sargentii.......and one you see more often, Bismarckia nobilis

post-216-12692185440339_thumb.jpg post-216-12692185574453_thumb.jpg

Another rarity, Copernicia prunifera................and the familiar Dypsis leptocheilos, nice and fuzzy!

post-216-12692186474208_thumb.jpg post-216-12692185838076_thumb.jpg

A study in contrasts with the Roystonea regia

post-216-12692186836377_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Amazing, an even bigger Hyophorbe lagenicaulis -- but remember, they don't grow here!

post-216-12692189358918_thumb.jpg

How about a nice closeup of that fuzzy teddy bear? It's right next to a Raphia farinifera with bright orange petioles.

post-216-12692189499789_thumb.jpg post-216-12692189659878_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Dennis and Ralph Velez are throwing down the gauntlet on blasting a Chambeyronia lepidota out of the park...I think he said 6-8 years to get to this size? Ralphs is barely larger.

post-27-12692126882229_thumb.jpg

6-8 yrs? Ralph's has to be the victim of some serious root copetition. Dennis does give his palms some room. A welcome change compared to my garden. I'm coming to the relization I'm a little over planted after seeing Jim Wright's.

San Marcos CA

Spread the love and the species and you'll be alright. (don't plant too much of one thing..)

What a great tour with so many palm nuts! And the collection of palms looked amazing. It was nice to see Jim Wright in some of the pictures. I had the pleasure to visit his garden many years ago. Legend.I hope there's more....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice gardens.... so how many gardens all up??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well- I had great dreams of a pic in front of the Jubea's at Mission Bay, but when Matty said "how about a picture here instead"? I realised the turnout was not as likely to be as good... :( But I made the announcements best I could and Pogobob and Shon, avb and I'm sure some others missed getting in the group shot at the base of the Kentiopsis....

But thats OK, when had some other people wander into the shot that weren't Palmtalk folk too, so I guess it evened out...:P

Two versions..

This is gonna be hard, but I'll spot the folks I know in a general left to right fashion....kinda reminds me of the group Costa Rica shot.

PLEASE, if you are a Palmtalk member in this photo and I don't know it, point it out to me!!! I'll use folks "handles".

post-27-12691867597236_thumb.jpgpost-27-12691868452475_thumb.jpg

l to r.

doubravsky in the blue shirt, (the 5 people in back going l to r I don't know as Palmtalk folks but look familiar), bending in blue-said he was on Palmtalk- but I forgot his name? :( , Pohonkelapa in that cammo hat, freakypalmguy in the brown shirt in front, fallbrookjason with the shiny head next to Pohon., The immortal Louis Hooper with the slight bend with his wonderful wife in front of him- Louise?, Dave in SoCal in the black shirt in front, Mr rare above Dave, ljg in the white t-shirt in the back row, blond lady-unknown, BS Man in red in front, palmcurry in the black shirt next to me, Kim in the blue floral top above us, Cardiffpalmnut in back in Blur tropic shirt, Nakab next to him in Orange with his Ranch Hand Mary in front of Him, palmgrover next to him in Red tropical shirt, Phil in the blue tropical shirt, and Mattyb as the nut on the far right...

Whew!

BS Man,

Left side, back row, sunglasses & white shirt...Inland Palms (I'm a new IPS member) and Quaman58, sunglasses with light gray shirt.

Randy

Beaumont, Ca. In the wind tunnel between Riverside and Palm Springs.

USDA 9B , Sunset Zone 18, Elevation 2438'

Well- I had great dreams of a pic in front of the Jubea's at Mission Bay, but when Matty said "how about a picture here instead"? I realised the turnout was not as likely to be as good... :( But I made the announcements best I could and Pogobob and Shon, avb and I'm sure some others missed getting in the group shot at the base of the Kentiopsis....

But thats OK, when had some other people wander into the shot that weren't Palmtalk folk too, so I guess it evened out...:P

Two versions..

This is gonna be hard, but I'll spot the folks I know in a general left to right fashion....kinda reminds me of the group Costa Rica shot.

PLEASE, if you are a Palmtalk member in this photo and I don't know it, point it out to me!!! I'll use folks "handles".

l to r.

doubravsky in the blue shirt, (the 5 people in back going l to r I don't know as Palmtalk folks but look familiar), bending in blue-said he was on Palmtalk- but I forgot his name? :( , Pohonkelapa in that cammo hat, freakypalmguy in the brown shirt in front, fallbrookjason with the shiny head next to Pohon., The immortal Louis Hooper with the slight bend with his wonderful wife in front of him- Louise?, Dave in SoCal in the black shirt in front, Mr rare above Dave, ljg in the white t-shirt in the back row, blond lady-unknown, BS Man in red in front, palmcurry in the black shirt next to me, Kim in the blue floral top above us, Cardiffpalmnut in back in Blur tropic shirt, Nakab next to him in Orange with his Ranch Hand Mary in front of Him, palmgrover next to him in Red tropical shirt, Phil in the blue tropical shirt, and Mattyb as the nut on the far right...

Whew!

BS Man,

Left side, back row, sunglasses & white shirt...Inland Palms (I'm a new IPS member) and Quaman58, sunglasses with light gray shirt.

Thanks Randy! And I think I should have remembered "Bret"?:huh::(

Ari- I went to 3 gardens plus the Jubea grove. :D

Great tour of gardens, awesome displays.

I wish it was my backyard!

Regards

Wanderanwills

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

See Randy, I told you that you should have worn your John Daly golf pants.. people would have noticed more. I think Mr. King Ranch Hand stole the limelight with

the purple pants, (laker fan?) and Dave rocked the old school Converse.. Where was your fashion sense this weekend Inland Palms? It was a nice picture though.

I sure am glad Matty B stuck to the Girls Gone Wild theme and didn't go Full Monty! That might have gotten the moderator involved! Awesome gardens to both of the

tours! Sorry I was so late, I got stuck goofing off at Jungle Music when all I wanted to do was pick up that Joey for the auction!

Fins, Left, Right!

-Eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

See Randy, I told you that you should have worn your John Daly golf pants.. people would have noticed more. I think Mr. King Ranch Hand stole the limelight with

the purple pants, (laker fan?) and Dave rocked the old school Converse.. Where was your fashion sense this weekend Inland Palms? It was a nice picture though.

I sure am glad Matty B stuck to the Girls Gone Wild theme and didn't go Full Monty! That might have gotten the moderator involved! Awesome gardens to both of the

tours! Sorry I was so late, I got stuck goofing off at Jungle Music when all I wanted to do was pick up that Joey for the auction!

Fins, Left, Right!

-Eric

Wow, I didn't recognize you without the grass skirt. So you were the fella with the Joey you'd had all morning?

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Fins, Left, Right!

-Eric

Wow, I didn't recognize you without the grass skirt. So you were the fella with the Joey you'd had all morning?

My thoughts exactly Kim! :D

Bill and Kim, and everyone else who posted photos and comments here - thanks a lot for the great visuals and comments! Obviously an outstanding day in some great gardens. Truly wish I could have been there! :)

And Bill, good to see that you're finally getting on top of that color-coordination issue! :D

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

:drool: Ooohhh aahhhh ! - amazing older garden -all i can hear is the sound of my pools of drool hitting the floor !

Jim Wright if your out there ,your garden rocks !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Awsome coverage of an awesome PRA!!

Looks like it was a beautiful day and those gardens are really impressive. The carachters who joined the tours probably doubled the fun.

Haven't seen a thread like this in a LOOOOONG time.

Kim-- I have to complement you on your photos-- very beautiful.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

It was a really nice day, two excellent gardens, perfect weather, and a ton of good palm peeps. Good stuff.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Awesome tour! :D Thanks for taking time to post all the photos. I felt right along with you.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

The gardens were wonderful, and all the attendees were wonderful, a wonderful day with wonderful weather . . . .

WONDERFUL!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Two versions..

l to r.

Whew!

Me in the front with the black shirt (for reference); on my right is Carol Hooper; immediately behind Carol, with the cane, is Louis Hooper. The Hoopers have one of the premier gardens in So-Cal, which has been a Holy Grail destination for many a PRA. The Hoopers don't do the web thing, but there's no more solid PRA peeps than them.

I was the Hoopers' chauffeur for the day in our Green Monster carpool. (Or maybe they were my keepers? :hmm: )

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What a PRA garden tour!, also proves there is always one more spot for another palm.

beautiful garden tour, Thanks for the pictures of the gardens and all the CPA'a (californian Palm activists)

think i will look at the pictures again

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

l to r.

doubravsky in the blue shirt, Inland Palms is the 4th from left in back in white shirt, Quaman58 is next to him in grey shirt, (The group of 3 between "doubravsky" and "Inland Palms" I don't know as Palmtalk folks but look familiar), bending in blue-said he was on Palmtalk- but I forgot his name? :( , Pohonkelapa in that cammo hat, freakypalmguy in the brown shirt in front, fallbrookjason with the shiny head next to Pohon., The immortal Louis Hooper with the slight bend with his wonderful wife in front of him- Louise?, Dave in SoCal in the black shirt in front, Mr rare above Dave, ljg in the white t-shirt in the back row, blond lady-unknown, BS Man in red in front, palmcurry in the black shirt next to me, Kim in the blue floral top above us, Cardiffpalmnut in back in Blur tropic shirt, Nakab next to him in Orange with his Ranch Hand Mary in front of Him, palmgrover next to him in Red tropical shirt, Phil in the blue tropical shirt, and Mattyb as the nut on the far right...

Whew!

post-27-12692948178373_thumb.jpg

I tried to edit the group pic with names corrected above.....

Enjoyed very much this thread and the pictures folks...these gardens are incredible, the owners must be very proud of what they've been doing along the decades. Ooohhh...and the grown up Rhopalostylis is truly magnificent !!

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

More photos from the Fletcher garden...

Lytocarium weddellianum................. General views of the rear west-facing slope displaying a multitude of color, pattern, texture, and height

post-216-12693016092171_thumb.jpg post-216-12693016262502_thumb.jpg post-216-12693016582414_thumb.jpg

Small water feature on base level with young Rhopalostylis sapida

post-216-1269301673188_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Doubravsky and Steve in San Diego compare notes on the Pseudophoenix sargentii... This Pritchardia was outstanding with its huge, impeccable leaves

post-216-12693019041596_thumb.jpg ......................... post-216-12693019157269_thumb.jpg

Same Prichardia with Dypsis leptocheilos rising behind it amidst a multitude of other palms.... water channels for added humidity and a pleasant sound

post-216-12693019360257_thumb.jpg..............................post-216-12693019493185_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

The crowd below finds much to discuss....pathways are narrow and be-fronded...

post-216-12693022598934_thumb.jpg.....post-216-12693022737433_thumb.jpg

While Bill and friend Leslie take in the view from the top of the garden

post-216-12693022890453_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

A graceful Howea.............................Vince/Palmcurry checks out the seedlings in the lathe house up top

post-216-12693024539867_thumb.jpg........post-216-12693024678728_thumb.jpg

Orchids and staghorns to delight the eyes. This would be a great place for watching the sunset.

post-216-12693024817248_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Lia came with her dad Chris, and brought her tiger to visit the jungle........ LJG, pohonkelapa, and Steve in San Diego compare notes

post-216-12693026934489_thumb.jpg.............post-216-12693027055791_thumb.jpg

Some non-palms were very attention-getting, nice to mix it up.

post-216-12693027257794_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, out front on the drive, plants are readied for the auction

post-216-12693027604384_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr