IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas Revoluta 3-20-10

JASON M

I forgot my Sago Palm outside last night. I didn't know it was going to snow. Uh oh. I was up at 4:30 looking at it through my window. Some snow on it.

10:50 AM more snow on it. There is minimal damage.

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

i should be fine jason, it got to about 25 this winter here and most look great and it was only out one night anyway. :D

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

• 3 weeks later...

17F here...50% look 50% burned..rest look fine or barely touched.Canopy really helps.

-Jonathan :)

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 3 weeks later...

All mine completely lost all fronds, all eleven of them. but all will come back i feel sure. three nights of lower teens.

• 1 month later...

Minor leaf spotting to C. revoluta with 2 feet of trunk from 16F without protection other than leaves over growing point. Experienced several nights with lows in the upper 20's and low 30's as well. Plant is flushing now.

post-201-12756658403959_thumb.jpg

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Minor leaf spotting to C. revoluta with 2 feet of trunk from 16F without protection other than leaves over growing point. Experienced several nights with lows in the upper 20's and low 30's as well. Plant is flushing now.

I have had my palm for months, and there are these little brown nubs supposed to be new flush, but nothing is coming out??

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to report that cycas revolta

Pups survived the winter of 2013-14 unprotected. I am located in a suburb NE of Nashville, TN. We had numerous low temperature reading in the in the single digits! Even a few -0 readings! The coldest reading we had for that winter was -3F. That it should be added that, as this message is being composed; the present temperature outside is 4F. Anyway, The fronds burned, and did not start coming out until July, but they survived! These plants amaze me! The pups were planted in late summer/early fall of 2013 with NO roots. This, after they sat for a month in the yard! Yet, 2 of the 4 pups survived that winter. These plants give tough a new meaning!

I have transplanted a number of revolute from the Texas gulf coast and Houston area. The further south I get them from the worse they burn the first year here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Even a slight frost will burn the entire plant, but after 2-3 years they seem to acclimate and it takes a major ice event and <20F to burn them. All of my acclimated palms took 18.6 degrees at my house without issue last week, but there was no frost whatsoever. It was a bit colder 15-16F at the nursery but only newest arrivals burned. If you keep these dry the will take surprisingly low temperatures.

• 2 years later...

We dropped to 12F this year at the nursery with 30+ consecutive hours below freezing.  Any potted cycas revoluta with less than 8-10" of vertical trunk died at the nursery. Some of the larger revoluta pushed weird small flushes I presume in response.