IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Canariensis

Ampli

Twenty seedlings, about six months old, in a north facing veranda, have two low of -3.7°C (25.4 F), one of -2.9°C (26.8 F) and more subzero night.

All un-damaged.

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

That's good news for Phoenix canariensis, especially so young. I lost two four-footers to 12F just this winter.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Phoenix Canariensis. 5 yrs in ground from a 3 gallon. Trunk about 2 ft high, fronds maybe 10 ft high. Defoliated, 90% brown, except for petioles and very inner fronds. Trimmed off all the brown fronds, and all I have left is maybe 4-6 green fronds. Not in danger of dying at all, appears very healthy, and already regrowing fronds. Official low was 16F. My yard got to 14-15F.

Edited by syersj

Phoenix Canariensis. 5 yrs in ground from a 3 gallon. Trunk about 2 ft high, fronds maybe 10 ft high. Defoliated, 90% brown, except for petioles and very inner fronds. Trimmed off all the brown fronds, and all I have left is maybe 4-6 green fronds. Not in danger of dying at all, appears very healthy, and already regrowing fronds. Official low was 16F. My yard got to 14-15F.

Ditto. Same situation here in South Carolina with lows only down to 20 degrees... but lot's of them... night after night.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here in SA. Got down to 16ish (F). The 2 planted were totally brown except some of the base and very inner spears, but no spear pull. Half the 1.5 year old seeldings had spears pull and were treated with copper.

Same here in SA. Got down to 16ish (F). The 2 planted were totally brown except some of the base and very inner spears, but no spear pull. Half the 1.5 year old seeldings had spears pull and were treated with copper.

Same with mine, but it is already recovering rapidly. All the interior fronds stayed green, and are growing well now. Of course it was very healthy and robust before the freeze.

One weeks after 15.5 and high of upper 20s, many other nights of low 20s.

1weeklater.jpg

canary24jan2010.jpg

backyardcanarysnow2.JPG

backyardcanary3april2010.JPG

• Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 4 weeks later...

three nights in the lower to mid teens. completely browned . had to cut all the way to the center spear, plenty of green coming back nicely.

• 3 months later...

1 survived 13 degree low with most fronds tourched but for inner fronds and lower spear. No protection given in open southern exposure. Well recovered with 12 fronds opened so canopy has been replaced. About a foot of trunk. 1 died/defoliated in backyard but unhealthy to begin winter with.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I had one in my garden to test how much frost its able to survive. On -8C° after one week the palm was dead. Bigger ones can stay -10C° if its only for one night or two nights and the day temperature gets above 1C°. But if so all fonds gonna be torched and you can pull the inner spears. But its able to recover.

Also there are some phoenix c. they dont even stand -4C° so there are many differences also depends on microclimate near house etc.

best regards

Andy

• 1 year later...

I think these are Phoenix Canariensis, I'm not sure. They could be mixed with Cretan Date Palm which are supposed to be hardier but they survived a horrible record freeze occured in El Paso Texas this past February 3rd 2011. The pics were taken October 13, 2011 which means after the whole summer they lived pretty well. The freeze recorded went down one night -1 F and during the day in the teens F. It only lasted a day, the next three days temperatures went back to normal above 25 F during the night so I think that is why they surived. It is just amazing to me that these palmtrees (I know they all look the same in the pics but there's two of them) survived such a strong record freeze in the area that hasn't occured since 1965. They are living in front of a parking lot in a walgreens located at the foot of the Franklin Mountains, which I think also serve as a shield to the cold artic air that flows from the northeast. The cross streets you see there are Mesa and Sunland Park. I talked to one of the managers at the walgreens and he said they don't even water these palms. Considering it rarely rains in El Paso, it is almost a miracle they are alive. They were very little back in 2000 when they first planted them. We had relatively warm winters since I pray to all the Gods out there another freeze like the one on 2010-2011 won't happen again in the next few years because frankly I don't think they will survive them again. We are supposed to be a zone 8a in El Paso but sometimes temperatures in the winter registered are way lower than normal and some years we only get about 15 days of temperatures below 30 F... weather is very extreme here. The soil is mostly sand and rock everywhere in this area (as you can see).

post-6131-065049800 1318546115_thumb.jpg

post-6131-012147300 1318546175_thumb.jpg

post-6131-015855500 1318546197_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

A couple of P.canariensis, 7 or 8 years old, near an East facing wall, survived -8°C during more than 6 hours. One of the palms had its spear pulled in spring and recovered in summer, while another looked completely untouched.