IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Mans general observations of a cold spring break

BS Man about Palms

Hey, Bill -

cool pics, thank you for being a part of your trip. :)

Please, take along the 45.00 USD L. hoehnei from Jeff and start shipment. :D :D :D

Love, Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Here are some pics of my palms that I promised you Bill.

Any ideas what they may be?

post-63-1268795217594_thumb.jpg

post-63-12687952831959_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

some more

post-63-12687953489285_thumb.jpg

post-63-12687953946639_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Closer view of petioles showing the black striping. (The scale has been killed-this species seems to attract scale for some reason.)

post-63-12687955314099_thumb.jpg

another

post-63-12687956707511_thumb.jpg

another

post-63-12687957678383_thumb.jpg

another individual petiole shot

post-63-12687959091425_thumb.jpg

another

post-63-12687960635945_thumb.jpg

Each individual from above

post-63-12687961865438_thumb.jpg

post-63-12687962306799_thumb.jpg

The final two.

What do you think? Any ideas what they may be, apart from a palm of the genus Dypsis. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-12687963008626_thumb.jpg

post-63-12687963506547_thumb.jpg

Tyrone,

The fatter one appears to be Dypsis ovobontsira/dark mealybug. The other ones probably are too!

Great palms that luv heat.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That's what I initially thought too. Great minds think alike. :)

I'm glad no matter what they actually are because I love the look of these. They should look fantastic when they get bigger.

One question though. RPS sells both D ovobontsira and D sp Dark mealy bug. Are they the same???????????

Best regards

Tyrone

You know, I'm just not sure...but my hunch is they are the same.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You know, I'm just not sure...but my hunch is they are the same.

They are not the same. Not saying what Jeff Marcus and RPS is selling is the real D ovobontsira, but it is certainly growing different then the Dark Mealy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Well I have both growing from RPS seed so in time I'll be able to see if they're different.

Best regards

Tyrone

On Weds morning Jeff and I ran thru his yard again before taking me to the airport.

Here are Jeff's Dypsis Slick Willys.. He calls them the "upright leaf form of Dypsis onilahensis" Over 8 years in the ground?

post-27-12686183434373_thumb.jpg

Check out those heels still on the palm.

Well, if you could see them they would be amazing!

And For Peter and some of us out in So Cal. one of Jeff's Merta balanses ?

post-27-12686183876129_thumb.jpg

Please show us more trees... I know Jeff has SOME...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sorry Ari- Camera's empty, no more pictures fall out when I tip it upside down! :(

Plus, it was winter, most were just branches right now...

Well I have both growing from RPS seed so in time I'll be able to see if they're different.

Best regards

Tyrone

I got mine from Jeff Marcus. So I guess I should be careful in assuming RPS got theirs from the same source. Might be two different plants if they came from two different sources.

You should be able to tell after the first few leaves they are different.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

My D ovobontsira's from RPS tend to be getting that orange new leaf like the 4 unknown palms I posted, that appear to be what are being called D ovobontsira. So maybe they are the same. However my dark mealy bugs are just sprouts but do appear different to my ovobontsira's at the same stage. Still it's really too early to tell.

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like you had a great time homey.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My D ovobontsira's from RPS tend to be getting that orange new leaf like the 4 unknown palms I posted, that appear to be what are being called D ovobontsira. So maybe they are the same. However my dark mealy bugs are just sprouts but do appear different to my ovobontsira's at the same stage. Still it's really too early to tell.

Best regards

Tyrone

I know it is early but does one seem to be faster then the other too?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Best regards

Tyrone

I think ovobontsira may be quicker but maybe it's still too early to say.

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

I think ovobontsira may be quicker but maybe it's still too early to say.

Tyrone

This is what I noticed. At least at seedling stages anyway. Which might be good for me since the Darl Mealy is slow here in SoCal!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Looks like you had a great time homey.

:)

Kept wondering if you were in the front of the planes I was in...

Ohhhh my eyes!!!!!! You had to throw in the shots of your neked legs....ahhhhhh

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ohhhh my eyes!!!!!! You had to throw in the shots of your neked legs....ahhhhhh

Avoid Ryans thread at all costs then.....