IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Mans general observations of a cold spring break

BS Man about Palms

I'm sure you know where I went, heres what I saw. Mostly peoples collections or recollections... :D

Cold.

post-27-12683594634204_thumb.jpg

Dypsis "mealybug" (manajarensis or malcomberi)

post-27-12683595365932_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

More gems..

Large Dypsis "dark mealybug" (ovobontsira)

post-27-12683597974965_thumb.jpg

A recovering and a big Dypsis tokorahvina.

post-27-12683598733472_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A real Orania ravaka.

post-27-12683610625714_thumb.jpg

Jeff's much groped Dypsis mealybug only for teasing, not for sale.

post-27-12683611236492_thumb.jpg

A Dypsis "dark mealybug" for sale AND Dypsis basalonga for sale too.

post-27-12683613535545_thumb.jpg

All sizes of Ravenea krociana

post-27-12683614752476_thumb.jpg

Dypsis canaliculata. We would KILL for ones this size out here...

post-27-12683616651668_thumb.jpg

Dypsis hovomantsina

post-27-1268361706782_thumb.jpg

The edge of Jim Glock lends scale to the 10 year old Actinokentia divartica

post-27-12683620585749_thumb.jpg

Jim also thought this Phoenix might be root-bound. Second opinions?:huh:

post-27-12683621359798_thumb.jpg

Those basilonga's look really nice. Where's the white stem?

I have another 60 photo's or so to post, stay tuned...

Wait till you see the BIG basalonga's..

longest thread title EVER! :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Correction

Dark Mealy WAS for sale. :D

A Dypsis "dark mealybug" for sale AND Dypsis basalonga for sale too.

post-27-12683613535545_thumb.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

longest thread title EVER! :mrlooney:

Yurr just jealous because we had colder weather that one weekend than you San Diegoans. But were back to frequent rains and higher, warmer, near perfect, growing temps. :blink:

Bill,

Seriously, are you NOT interested in ANY other palm species BESIDES Dypsis and New Caledonia species???? I thought I saw many species of Butia, Syagrus, CIDP and other species of the genus Phoenix in your yard the last time I was out for a visit. Just asking.... :drool:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

jeff its "san diegans."

cant you floridoans get anything right!?! :mrlooney:

still "warning-free."

lets try jeffs method of just adding "-ans" to the end:

floridaans.

perfect! :blink:

still "warning-free."

floridaans.

Hey paul,

That reminds me, were you still planning a return trip back here around April? You know, by yourself this time. Just asking because, YOU filled the car after you finished, and it was YOU that sent Andrea a very lovely thank-you card and You changed the sheets on the bed before you left. Oh, and the cut flowers you put in the vase before YOU left was a nice touch, Andrea really thought that was sweet from you. So, by all means, YOUR welcomed back anytime.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

floridaans.

No, I think Floridaans is the language that rednecks speak here, the name being modeled after Afrikaans

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

What am I chopped liver?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

What am I chopped liver?

Don't make me answer that! blink.gif Jumped in before Paul could jump on you post. mrlooney.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

OKKAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY............. moving on then.... I think I am the chopped Liver here... :mrlooney:

Heres Jeff next to a freshly planted Dypsis prestonia from the capable havesting hands of Pete Balasky..

post-27-12684402617432_thumb.jpg

Jeff showing off the Dypsis caniculata I planted too..

post-27-12684403237659_thumb.jpg

Jeff-

As to those "other" palms.. I'll have to show you my property lines again, those were my neighbors palms.. :D

Now to Jeffs house..

His big Dypsis sp. mealybug..

post-27-12684405778813_thumb.jpg

the trunkal region

post-27-12684406240599_thumb.jpg

the trunkal region with my little size 9 for scale..

post-27-12684407142971_thumb.jpg

Jeffs largest Dypsis hovomantsina

post-27-12684407645859_thumb.jpg

OK. Follow me on this one Dypsis folk....

Jeff said he got this as Dypsis "fibrosa" about 14 years ago...

post-27-12684409406545_thumb.jpg

It is now generally regarded as Dypsis tokoravina after John Dransfields last visit to Floribunda..

post-27-12684409978404_thumb.jpg

this has been in mostly shade, but is now getting more sun...

Now remember what this looks like and go to the next post..

This is from the SAME seed batch as the above!!

It looks very much like the Dypsis "orange crush/pilulifera", but with maybe a smaller "trunkal region"?

post-27-12684413119965_thumb.jpg

This one has regular leaflets, not grouped..??

post-27-12684413566133_thumb.jpg

Is it a hybrid, or a different species or a variation...?? Jeff had just a few this way, most were like the others in the above post.

(I do this primarily to get Jeffs dander up)

Hey this is sporadic and chronological picturing taking here.....mostly.

Next day, Jeffs "true" Dypsis ambositrae, again from the helpful harvesting hands of Pete Balasky... :rolleyes:

post-27-1268441567259_thumb.jpg

And now for completely different...

or at least a completely different Jeff.

Jeff Cramer as street124 was completely generous enough to pick me up and take me away like Calgon to his place, apologizing the whole way for all the cold damage I'd see...:( JC is cool!

First I saw this..I think its an Areca macrocaylx? outside, right next to Jeffs pool.

post-27-12684418890798_thumb.jpg

Then he didn't think it out of the ordinary when I spied the red leaf on his Chambeyronia houliou.

post-27-12684419458154_thumb.jpg

"Damn you Jeff Cramer"....:rage:

(Sorry, I was channeling Pohokelapa..)

I believe this was a little Cyphosperma balanse??

post-27-12684424289973_thumb.jpg

Not sure why I took this picture, nor am I entirely sure what it is... I was probably showing a New Caledonia palm that scoffed at his cold...

post-27-12684424999667_thumb.jpg

I AM sure why I took THIS picture. Jeff is standing next to his -possible- Dypsis "sp. "White stem"....

post-27-12684426283287_thumb.jpg

Jeff brought it up that Christian thought it might be after I took an interest in it. I took several pics of it and need to compare to ones I have of the others. The story/timeline adds up per Jeff C. , but odds are way against it. I am not sure yet and will bring it up in the mammoth D. "white stem" thread...

post-27-12684426907638_thumb.jpg

Mr Cramer has cool Sh*t all over the place just waiting to be planted. He said he has done a lot of planting at a tiny size.

Dypsis tennuissama?

post-27-12684429661729_thumb.jpg

Something else cool and rare.

post-27-12684430340408_thumb.jpg

More cool shtuff.

post-27-12684431653378_thumb.jpg

Is this the bomb or what?? :drool::unsure:

post-27-12684432064161_thumb.jpg

Happy New Cal B. gracilis or eurostachys...

post-27-12684433998291_thumb.jpg

Something else I can't remember, maybe a bigger D. betafaka? ?

post-27-12684434591834_thumb.jpg

Some reason I took this too...:huh:

post-27-12684436348585_thumb.jpg

I thought the leaf arrangement was cool on this palm but Jeff couldn't recall the name. It got pretty toasted, but may come back.. I hope... :(

Any ideas?

post-27-12684436728483_thumb.jpg

THEN, Jeff took me BACK to Jeff's just to get rid of me, I'm sure.. :D

Great stuff Jeff!

Next up, a brief trip to Homestead...

Stopped at Redland nursery on Monday to see what can be shipped.

Who says Chambeyronia hookeri's can't be grown in full sun..?

post-27-12684439665137_thumb.jpg

Here is a Heterospathe delicatula. :bemused:

post-27-12684440633104_thumb.jpg

Found the variegated Chamdorea not for sale..

post-27-12684442291357_thumb.jpg

Even the seeds were white!!

post-27-12684442793424_thumb.jpg

I'm pacing myself..more later..

I do have to Thank EllisB for piloting me around, great to meet the group down there!

floridaans.

Hey paul,

That reminds me, were you still planning a return trip back here around April? You know, by yourself this time. Just asking because, YOU filled the car after you finished, and it was YOU that sent Andrea a very lovely thank-you card and You changed the sheets on the bed before you left. Oh, and the cut flowers you put in the vase before YOU left was a nice touch, Andrea really thought that was sweet from you. So, by all means, YOUR welcomed back anytime.

Jeff

dewd,you got the WRONG pohonkelapa! i would never do all those things :rolleyes:

still "warning-free."

Pete Balasky MUST plant this Orania ravaka soon!! I may make a special trip there just to do it for him, but Mr Searle offered to act in my stead... :blink:

post-27-12684446155715_thumb.jpg

Its leaves are like 5 feet plus and the base is at least 6" across... :drool:

post-27-12684446945882_thumb.jpg

All the talk I've heard about the Florida boys being behind on the Dypsis game doesn't add up. I'm seeing the oppisite here, Dypsis galore! Dypsis: 'white stem', basalonga, 'mealy bug', 'dark mealy bug :drool:' prestonia, caniculata, pilulifera, ect. All the bad boys I want.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Dypsis canaliculata. We would KILL for ones this size out here...

post-27-12683616651668_thumb.jpg

Dypsis hovomantsina

post-27-1268361706782_thumb.jpg

I've got one of those D canaliculata's here about the same size. I bought it as D canaliculata as well, BUT, I personally don't think this is THE D canailculata that hasn't been seen since the 1940's.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Vince- They ARE behind, but when the South Florida stuff grows at twice the speed of us, it doesn't take long to catch up! :blink:

Tyrone- no real argument from me on that.