Sign in to follow this  
Alberto

What this critters have in common with me?

Alberto

They all love palm trees!!!!:mrlooney:

That is one of the few disadvantages when you have native palm species in your region...you will have palm pests...

Let me begin with the ´´nicest´´ of the two. I call it ´´besouro-vermelho´´. No it´s not the infamous Rhinchophorus ferrugineus! I read the latin name of this bug sometime ago ,but cannot remember it.This red bug is very slow,so you can easily catch them from the frond were they stay practically not moving at all. They probably tastes bad or are poisonous because there collor says to all the predators: Look,I´m here!!!

This was the last photo before execution (it lost it´s head!:D)

post-465-1268345207401_thumb.jpg

Alberto

The damage on the palms is more cosmetic. There larvae bores inside the spears making ugly windows when the frond unfold....:( Here on a S.minor. They also like P.robellenii very much.

post-465-12683454578337_thumb.jpg

Alberto

And now a bug name that makes palm cultivators and hobbyists around the globe have nightmares. RHYNCHOPHORUS.

Last I found 4 Rhinchophorus palmarum on a queen inflorescence that I had cut some of the branches to make it easier to pollenate. The lesions on the inflorescence probably worked as a magnet for this bugs. This bug can be very problematic in some places and they use feromones of the male bug to atract them to one point of plantations and kill them.

It´s not as voracious as its red counterpart from the Old World, but it´s also not inocent....:blink::unsure:

Last photo before it lost its head!:

post-465-12683463217872_thumb.jpg

Alberto

Lesions on the base of the fronds of another of my queens. I suspect it was the black critter!:(

post-465-12683464695887_thumb.jpg

Alberto

On the queen palms were I found the Rhynchophorus palmarum bugs, I saw today two perforations on this petiole, exsudating this resinous palm juice.... I think I´ll cut this frond and incinerate it!What do you think?

post-465-12683466482945_thumb.jpg

Alberto

Sight after the resinous substance was removed.

post-465-12683483556141_thumb.jpg

paulgila

thats the flip-side of having a good climate: lotsa hungry insects! :rage:

sick1166

wow thats a scary sight to see on your palm

Alberto

Today I cut the frond.

post-465-12684032718963_thumb.jpg