IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa Experiment #1

Just1MorePalm

You are right...I will do that soon...Since I have been watering them so much this first month I wanted to see how the soil was draining first...the entire planter bed is not finished either because there are so many old palm roots in there that I need to remove...But I plan to mulch them soon...thx for the tip...

Looking at your pictures I see something that is important. Add more mulch! That little bit of bark is not gonna help you when it gets hot. Add a 2" layer of compost and then another 2" of your decorative bark. That decorative bark is pretty useless unless you pile it on super thick. But you need to get 4" of organics over that dirt and your palms will love it.

Are you questioning Ken's authority?? :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh, sorry, I guess I jumped the gun. I was just trying to help. My mom "mulches" her beds with bark that's only 1 bark chip layer deep. It hardly helps retain any water and the bark is really good at resisting breaking down, which is good for a decorative top layer, but not very helpful when trying to introduce water retaining organics into the soil.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 8 months later...

I love PalmTalk. I get to see what the outcome looks like. I live in Huntington Beach also and would like to plant a Chambeyronia Macrocarpa in my backyard. It was discussed about planting the palm in sun. The location I have is near a part shade and sun spot by the pool. Does the Chambeyronia Macrocarpa grow better in full sun eventually or will do as good part shade-sun?

Thanks!

I love PalmTalk. I get to see what the outcome looks like. I live in Huntington Beach also and would like to plant a Chambeyronia Macrocarpa in my backyard. It was discussed about planting the palm in sun. The location I have is near a part shade and sun spot by the pool. Does the Chambeyronia Macrocarpa grow better in full sun eventually or will do as good part shade-sun?

Thanks!

Keep it in part sun it's whole life. It will be happy. I have one in full shade that is growing slower than my other in light/filtered sun. They are both guaranteed not to get sunburned. They also have overhead protection from the cold.

Palms are life, the rest is details.

Thanks!

Keep it in part sun it's whole life. It will be happy. I have one in full shade that is growing slower than my other in light/filtered sun. They are both guaranteed not to get sunburned. They also have overhead protection from the cold.

Thanks for the advise. I will go and buy as soon as the weather gets better. Been raining all week and don't feel like getting wet.

Chambeys will tolerate full sun, the closer to the ocean the better, the more water the better, the bigger the better.

I've got about a dozen large ones out in full sun since the big tree above them got cut down, and they look good.

But, they always look better with a little bit of canopy.

I'm about 20 miles from the ocean on the hills above a coastal plain.

Little ones go seriously KFC with too much sun, though they survive.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...

How are your palms looking a year later? Would love to see some updated photos!

So far they have done good...normal burnt tips and lighter color that was all expected...they have seen a few days of frost...a few days of blazing 100f heat...the one on the end has taken the brunt of the wind and cold and it looks like it...It also had some untimely openings of the new fronds...But they all keep pushing and fattening up...now that they have new root systems in place I hope this year they can start to look better as they get more nutrients and all around stronger...They each pushed out about 3 fronds over the last year...

Again...I swear on the PalmTalk "Rules and Guidelines" that no artificial shade has been used.(I have been tempted though)

I will post more detailed pictures later...I only have one that I took a few weeks ago...

Last Year 3/2010...........................This Year 3/2011...

post-4259-031426000 1300924981_thumb.jpg post-4259-038744900 1300924920_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice! Happy to see they are all trooping along. Thanks for the update. You gave me a little hope my little dudes might make it out in a sunnier spot.

Looking good, J1MP!

Keep them well-watered. I've got 30 in teh ground, and biggest get full sun year-round, and plenty to drink.

Looks like that beachfront location is making a huge difference. Plants the size of yours here planted in full sun in La La Ha Ha end up in that Death Camp in the Sky in one season . . . :angry:

Keep us apprized!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How bout a photo of yours Dave. Your Chambeys of course. Thirty in the ground?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, for the slow response...But, here is the update..

They are steady growers for me..I can now walk under them but I still have to trim the ends of the walkway side fronds...Not rockets by any means...

100_3504.thumb.JPG.87d3eeb95caa0a809f407

• Like 3
  • Upvote 18

Many thanks for the updated picture! They look great!

I hope you can catch them all throwing a red frond, that would be quite a show.

• Upvote 1

They look great.

And I agree....not the fastest when it comes to growth.

I like the spacing of your palms, especially this one. I've planted singles by themselves and thought they looked rather sparse. Yours look great.

Kinda nice that they are slow growing, here in Hilo, they get so tall so fast you don't even see the emergent leaf anymore in the canopy. 

Tim  

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-4259-12681883060595_thumb.jpgpost-4259-031426000 1300924981_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the kind words...I like that they are steady, not fast growers. I planted these hoping they would not burn from the sun and stay a manageable size for a few years. So far, so good. I removed Queen palms from the same spot that grew into monsters in about 5 years. Expensive lesson learned.  The Chambeys did burn for the first few years and looked a little ratty at times. I trimmed back the brown as necessary to keep them looking decent. They haven't burned much in the last couple years. My area has had frost in the mornings and several days of blazing sun and they have not shown much damage from either.  I sill have my fingers crossed.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I happened to pass this garden today and thought it looked familiar. I had seen it here!

The Chambeys look great with no burn, as do the parkway Rhopies. Wow! Nicely done!

On Mon Jun 19 22:02:47, Just1MorePalm said:

Sorry, for the slow response...But, here is the update..

They are steady growers for me..I can now walk under them but I still have to trim the ends of the walkway side fronds...Not rockets by any means...

100_3504.thumb.JPG.87d3eeb95caa0a809f407

That is really cool!!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Wow, very nice Chambeyroneas. 

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 years later...

@Just1MorePalm how about another update on your Gauntlet of Chambeyroneas?

I'd open the window of the Dark Tower and howl obscenities, but the windows don't open . . . . .

• Like 1