IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Spring Searle Brothers' Plant Extravaganza!

Palmarum

I had my eyes glued to the weather forecast all week long leading up to the first day of the Extravaganza, and it was slowly painting a cold picture. We knew it was going to be cold, almost a record cold for my area of Broward county. As I sat freezing and shaking on my way to the nursery, the radio sputtered weather info and stated that as of the high 30's we had received this morning; it was officially the worst winter in S. Florida in over 40 years. As if we didn't know that already. My mind wandered to how many people would be waiting at the gate this morning as I drove up to the entrance, noticing that the canals appeared to be smoking...

- Friday, 6:56AM: A year has gone by since we were first graced by the visitation of Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) to the Spring Extravaganza, and he has kept his words "I shall return" true. Ironically, it was warmer in So Cal when he left than it was here in South Florida. When we arrived at the nursery, we all cursed the cold in rhythm and went to business in getting the sales area ready. A few of the nursery vehicles had the dreaded frost on their windshields so I told Bill to leave his mark.

RDG2010-03-05_06-56-58.jpg

- I almost posted a photo of the temperature via a thermometer, but figured this shot would have the same effect.

RDG2010-03-05_06-57-21.jpg

- 7:01AM: The incoming cold demanded some watering to be done to help warm up the plants in and around the shadehouse. Jeff Searle waters down the orchid selection. Some of the familiar Floridian Forum members might appear different than usual, covered in cold weather gear.

RDG2010-03-05_07-01-20.jpg

- 7:02AM: Gripping the camera was getting difficult as a breeze was picking up a bit. Prior to the sprinklers being turned on, I walked to the nearest thermometer inside and it read 38ºF (3.3ºC).

RDG2010-03-05_07-02-09.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 7:03AM: As the water started to stream from the sprinklers I could already feel it warming up a bit. Plus, the water added to the rainforest feel, but the cold was hard to ignore.

RDG2010-03-05_07-03-24.jpg

- 8:11AM: Instead of making all the early customers and collectors wait and freeze at the gate, it was left open earlier than usual to allow them to enter as soon as they arrived.

RDG2010-03-05_08-11-36.jpg

- 8:12AM: The cold added a new definition to the phrase "die hard collector" as there were many early ones with books and lists in hand. They went straight to the plant group they were most interested in first and started to grab plants.

RDG2010-03-05_08-12-22.jpg

- I look at these photos now and it is amazing the cold required so many jackets and warm clothes. Brrr...

RDG2010-03-05_08-12-28.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 8:17AM: Shortly after eight in the morning, the white tent inside the shadehouse started to look like an impromptu holding area as it usually does. Carts began to fill up as enthusiasts were grabbing plants. Grabbing plants was also a good way to warm up.

RDG2010-03-05_08-17-05.jpg

- The meeting of Forum members is always a highlight of the Extravaganza. Jeff Searle and volunteer, enthusiast, Biennial veteran Jim Glock (jglock1) look on as FMs. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) and Tom (tikitiki) shake hands over a cart.

RDG2010-03-05_08-17-25.jpg

- 8:23AM: "Satakentia coming through!" Greg K on the right carries plants to his cart as everyone makes way for the large Satakentia liukiuensis being pulled down the sidewalk.

RDG2010-03-05_08-23-31.jpg

- Many Friday customers are accustomed to the occasional giant plant traveling down the sidewalk so they know to part and move over to one side or the other. I knew this palm would need help exiting the shadehouse so I followed it down...

RDG2010-03-05_08-23-38.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 8:24AM: As soon as the 'way' for the large palm was made, it closed up and quickly became a traffic jam again as customers went about searching for plants. FM. and collector Jerry Pezzeminti (Pez) on the right talks with customers about different palms as he himself looks through the collection.

RDG2010-03-05_08-24-47.jpg

- 8:25AM: As the big Satakentia neared the exit, Jim helps by leaning the palm back so it can fit under the gate on its way to the holding area.

RDG2010-03-05_08-25-41.jpg

- 8:27AM: One customer needed something larger than a cart to carry everything, so a golf cart with a trailer was summoned to carry their plants out. The Nun's Orchids, Phaius tankervilliae, on the left were a new plant this Spring and the group was picked through very well, requiring a few reloads during the weekend.

RDG2010-03-05_08-27-23.jpg

- 8:31AM: FM. Tom (tikitiki) pulls his cart back down the sidewalk while looking for which palms jump out at him and say "pick me". He seemed to be looking for Licuala sp. and he grabbed the one and only Dypsis ovobontsira that was out for sale. The brochure holders (on the table, right) held a new item this spring. Thanks to Bo, I got a box of IPS Membership brochures that I am now able to hand out and they came in handy. They made it much easier to explain the Society and the benefits of membership to new enthusiasts. I went through a few dozen but I have more, thanks again Bo.

RDG2010-03-05_08-31-44.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 8:34AM: In addition to palms, collector and FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) headed to the croton selection very early and filled a cart with cultivars. I know for a fact he beat a few other croton collectors to the selection as a few of the cultivars he got were limited to one plant.

RDG2010-03-05_08-34-47.jpg

- 8:46AM: Buddies from the Biennial... We got a surprise and welcome visit from FM. Robert Wilson (RainForestt Robert) who made the multi-nation jump over from Trinidad. Bill Sanford might have traveled further, but Robert had to go through more airports and countries to get here. He gets a welcomed hug from volunteer and croton fiend Judy Glock. Robert and Judy were fellow attendees aboard the infamous Bus #4 during the 2008 Costa Rican Biennial. Many of you might remember a certain talent contest aboard that bus and it involved these two and a certain dollar bill transaction that I won't go into here...

RDG2010-03-05_08-46-05.jpg

- 8:52AM: The chance to find an empty cart became low as the sale entered its second hour. Loaded carts became mobile holding areas as collectors didn't want to miss out on something while going back and forth to the holding area.

RDG2010-03-05_08-52-29.jpg

- 9:49AM: FM. Jeff Cramer (street124) [obscured by the Zamia pseudoparasitica] arrived at the sale just in time to see Bill shut down due to lack of Diet Dr. Pepper.

RDG2010-03-05_09-49-13.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 11:12AM: Bill likes to lick things, which makes greetings a bit awkward. He moved back and forth through the sales area with the energy of a Dypsis-crazed Californian overwhelmed at what to do next.

RDG2010-03-05_11-12-49.jpg

- 11:13AM: Back at the white tent, Bill explains how Jeff should be planting more palms around the nursery, especially the large Dypsis species; and not be keeping them in large pots. Irony has its many faces. FM. Rob van der Borg (Borgy230) becomes weary of Bill's enthusiasm.

RDG2010-03-05_11-13-13.jpg

- 11:15AM: The skies were spotless, which was the only welcomed side effect of the cold weather. Customers continued to arrive and filter through the sales area as the sun climbed through the sky.

RDG2010-03-05_11-15-26.jpg

- 11:17AM: The Bromeliad section got hit hard as it usually does, being one of the first collections customers see as they arrive. Landscape Designer Candace and Bromeliad volunteer Colleen Hendrix discuss the different color variations of Alcantarea imperialis.

RDG2010-03-05_11-17-08.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Great stuff so far Ryan! You're the best Forum-Journalist ever!

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB

Great stuff so far Ryan! You're the best Forum-Journalist ever!

Thanks Matty, I still got more to learn, not to mention finding ways to be more creative.

rafael

I would love to be in that movie!

It was a real fun time, and would be a interesting movie or documentary. If you made the trip you would probably break the record for longest-traveled Forum member.

- 11:17AM: The Bromeliad selection was vast and contained more varieties that I could count. I felt that a few customers might have been overwhelmed but we had volunteers to help. The area was divided into full sun and shade varieties.

RDG2010-03-05_11-17-49.jpg

- 11:27AM: The activity continued to increase inside the shadehouse as more customers found their way inside.

RDG2010-03-05_11-27-37.jpg

- A regular customer with a nearly full cart stops for a moment to talk history with FM. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle). They were discussing the Florida winter history, which went even beyond my own.

RDG2010-03-05_11-27-46.jpg

- 11:35AM: There is no set pattern to what type of plants will find their way onto a cart. I find it interesting to see what customers combine together or what ideas they might have.

RDG2010-03-05_11-35-43.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

RDG2010-03-05_06-57-21.jpg

OMG!

Prior to the sprinklers being turned on, I walked to the nearest thermometer inside and it read 38ºF (3.3ºC).

Ryan

38 in the shadehouse?? unreal!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I feel for you guys. 38F in the shade house ain't right for Florida. I lived there for 17 years and didn't feel lows like that ever.

Those red ti plants in post 4 pic 3 are huge!

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Looks like a good time was had by all. When it's cold in Florida it seems colder than when in Calif. I guess we are used to it in Calif. Except for this morning which got down to 36.8F, it's been warmer in N. Calif. than Fla. This was my first light frost in 2010.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Wow, you guys had a great sale!

Dang, it was COLD, and you still had a screaming mob. Or at least a loudly murmuring one . . . .

Love that Sattie . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Why is everone in jackets? :mrlooney:

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

i saw some gloves/mittens,too! :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I received a post sale phone call yesterday from the jovial Florida clan; Jeff Searle, Andrea, WayKoolPlantz, Palmarum, MooseKnuckle, BS Man, not sure if Pete was there or not....but they were all having dinner at Mike's and were way too drunk for 5:00pm CA time. Jeff was hitting on me as usual. Come on Jeff, I'm married. Sounded like lots of fun was had by all. Congrats to a successful event! I wish I was there with all ya'll.:)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jeff was hitting on me as usual.

Hmm.. Jeff was hitting on you? Jeff is pretty hot. I'll have to flirt with him at the October sale!

-matthew

tikitiki

Why is everone in jackets?

'cause we're not all cold weather tolerant...

pohonkelapa

i saw some gloves/mittens,too!

I saw some cold weather gear I had only seen before in movies and on tv. The gear had to have been brought down here because I could not think of anywhere in S. FL. where one could purchase such clothing.

MattyB

I received a post sale phone call yesterday from the jovial Florida clan...but they were all having dinner at Mike's and were way too drunk for 5:00pm CA time.... Congrats to a successful event! I wish I was there with all ya'll.:)

It was a great dinner indeed and Mike had a great food spread for us to enjoy. A few were fairly drunk, and I have the photos to post at the end of the topic to prove it. It is a good thing I cannot record audio...

- 11:36AM: At close to noon on Friday, the Croton selection had been quickly reduced to only a handful of plants. Ron looks over the remaining choices and studies to see if there are any he doesn't already have.

RDG2010-03-05_11-36-44.jpg

- 12:28PM: Veteran collector, author and photographer Paul Humann gives Jeff a summary report of how his grand palm collection did through the past January freeze. He was describing the trunk diameter on one of his rare palms that did surprisingly well through the cold. Discussing the 'past' cold felt weird while experiencing the 'present' cold.

RDG2010-03-05_12-28-22.jpg

- 12:57PM: As soon as I sat down to eat my lunch, Jeff decided to walk off with my camera and started to take photos, or at least pretend to do so. Bill was doing one of his struts while almost punching Rob in the head while I wondered if I would ever get to eat.

RDG2010-03-05_12-57-48.jpg

- 12:58PM: With Jeff's instruction, Jim came over to pose with the rest of us.

RDG2010-03-05_12-58-27.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:26PM: I distracted Bill while he was eating and he bit off one of his fingers. That spinach dip was very tasty, as it always is. Volunteers on Friday get treated to a special lunch prepared by Jeff's sister Kathy and between the deviled eggs and homemade desserts it pulls you back to the office wanting more.

RDG2010-03-05_13-26-18.jpg

- 1:31PM: In the middle of the sale, during the afternoon, a Dypsis debate ensued and it caused many of us to migrate to the second shadehouse to argue the genus incessantly. This happened more than once during the weekend. As we entered through the usually locked and guarded gate, Bill forgot how to enter and came in backwards for some reason.

RDG2010-03-05_13-31-59.jpg

- 1:34PM: The Dypsis brain trust, Jeff Searle, Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms), Jim Glock (jglock1), & Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) in action. Guided by Bill, everyone was trying to figure out what species is what while comparing to ones seen on the Forum.

RDG2010-03-05_13-34-57.jpg

- 1:43PM: We had to return to the main shadehouse as customer attendance increased into the afternoon hours. Plus we were getting radio reports of assistance being needed. "Come on Bill, we gotta go..."

RDG2010-03-05_13-43-32.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I arranged a short trip to Florida around the Searle Brothers' Sale. It was a real fun experience. Except for the cold. I left Trinidad where our highs were around 35 deg Celsius to frost warnings. My toes and fingers were freezing. I have not had to use the layered approach to dressing since college in Washington, D.C. And there was Jim Glock wearing mittens and thermal underwear. What a sight.

After reading about the sales, I must say that being there in person exceeded expectations. The volunteers were enthusiastic, the plants were diverse and the customers eager. One mentioned to me that she gets so excited when the flier arrives in her mailbox. If you have the opportunity please make it to one of the sales.

Besides oogling plants, talking to a customer or two, I spent some time schmoozing with PalmTalk members, Bill Sanford, Jeff and Andrea Searle, SunnyFL and her husband, Jim and Judy Glock, Borgy and others. Thanks for a great time. I hope that I can schedule swing another visit in October when I hope that Florida will once more be lush.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

- 1:44PM: As we exited the shadehouse, Bill kept on throwing words at Jeff until Jeff decided to show him what letter Bill reminded him of.

RDG2010-03-05_13-44-30.jpg

- 2:35PM: This is where things started to get weirder. Out of extreme impulse to plant something, Bill nagged Jeff into letting him plant palms around the nursery landscape, namely Dypsis species. I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't understand the fact that Bill had to travel across country in order to plant stuff.

RDG2010-03-05_14-35-27.jpg

- With typical Californian habit, Jeff told Bill to dig a hole for a 3 gallon pot and Bill thinks to dig a trench 3 feet across...

RDG2010-03-05_14-35-38.jpg

- 3:05PM: Volunteer and Pfc. Shane Tanner provides security over a situation where two customers got into a fight over a plant and left a mess on the sidewalk... No plants were harmed or injured during the confrontation.

RDG2010-03-05_15-05-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I arranged a short trip to Florida around the Searle Brothers' Sale. It was a real fun experience. Except for the cold. I left Trinidad where our highs were around 35 deg Celsius to frost warnings. My toes and fingers were freezing. I have not had to use the layered approach to dressing since college in Washington, D.C. And there was Jim Glock wearing mittens and thermal underwear. What a sight.

After reading about the sales, I must say that being there in person exceeded expectations. The volunteers were enthusiastic, the plants were diverse and the customers eager. One mentioned to me that she gets so excited when the flier arrives in her mailbox. If you have the opportunity please make it to one of the sales.

Besides oogling plants, talking to a customer or two, I spent some time schmoozing with PalmTalk members, Bill Sanford, Jeff and Andrea Searle, SunnyFL and her husband, Jim and Judy Glock, Borgy and others. Thanks for a great time. I hope that I can schedule swing another visit in October when I hope that Florida will once more be lush.

Robert

Well, guys, it looks like you've outdone yourselves again! Congratulations. Ryan the pictures make you feel like you're there and part of the fun; what a wonderful post. I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to Florida but hopefully for the October sale. All my best, Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

did bs man bring his own dr.pepper stash or does florida have an acceptabel "vintage?"

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I received a post sale phone call yesterday from the jovial Florida clan; Jeff Searle, Andrea, WayKoolPlantz, Palmarum, MooseKnuckle, BS Man, not sure if Pete was there or not....but they were all having dinner at Mike's and were way too drunk for 5:00pm CA time. Jeff was hitting on me as usual. Come on Jeff, I'm married. Sounded like lots of fun was had by all. Congrats to a successful event! I wish I was there with all ya'll.:)

Ryan,

First, an excellent topic once again has unraveled with some great company.

Matty,

I thought you would really enjoy the two phone calls last night. We were all having a great evening and since you and Paul were once here, we thought we would include you in for some fun, even though it was long distance via telephone.

Matthew,

I seriously doubt your my type. But you can think I'm hot all you want, as long as your spending BIG $$$$$. BTW..make sure you introduce yourself if you come down. We'll make it very exciting for you, trust me.If not, maybe Matty's your guy. PM me, I'll give you his phone #. :mrlooney:

Bill,

It was a hell of a week having you stay here and hang out with all of us. We all really enjoyed your company and many,many,many,many,many,many,many Dypsis and New Caledonia stories. See you in the fall maybe. And especially thanks for the eleven palms you planted.

Robert,

And what a surprise to see you show up at our sale! It's really becoming..... ok, who's next that's going to travel long distances and show up. We all enjoyed having you over to the house that evening and "party" with us all.

Pohonkelapa,

Believe it or not, I had a case of Diet Dr. Pepper waiting for Bill. Hey.....we aim to please around here. When you were here, it was a case of beer, remember? :D Your about due back soon too.

But for everyone else that came, I want to thank you all for coming and supporting us in these tough times. Especially for those of you that drive hundreds and hundreds of miles. We really appreciate this. Hope to see you in October.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, better check to make sure the plants were not left in the pot and with 5 inches sticking out of the ground. We have seen how Bill "plants".

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I just got back in a couple hours ago and I had a killer time!!! I may or may not add to Ryan thread here. I may start "another".

As for different stuff. On the way to the sale, I saw my first ROCKET LAUNCH from the air. I was fly near Cape Canaveral as the lauched one, pretty cool to see. Sadly, my camera was stowed.

Len, no pots but the heeled Dypsis were elevated slightly. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The last two hours of the Extravaganza on Friday were spent restocking and reorganizing plants around the sales area in preparation for the Saturday morning rush. The late afternoon customers were helped in between grabbing plants and writing tags. As soon as the last customer went through the registers and the final details for Saturday were finalized, we traveled back over to Jeff's house for the traditional post-sale tour with volunteers and drinks.

- 5:41PM: The conversation comprised mostly of Dypsis talk and no Dypsis got more looks during the day than the Mealybug Palm, Dypsis mananjarensis. The two small, 1 gallon specimens that were put out for sale had been sold and the large 7 gallon positioned on the table got fondled more times than I could count. FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) takes a moment during the tour to make sure the markings were not just glued on.

RDG2010-03-05_17-41-01.jpg

- 5:43PM: This is one of the Mealybug Palms in Jeff's yard and it seems to show no signs of slowing down. It practically laughed at the cold we had back in January.

RDG2010-03-05_17-43-34.jpg

- 5:46PM: The man, the mystery, the Forum member. Bill posed with the palm and made sure his name was visible in the photo.

RDG2010-03-05_17-46-50.jpg

- 5:47PM: Bill had to conduct his proven taste test to verify that it is a true Dypsis.

RDG2010-03-05_17-47-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:06PM: When we were not looking at palms, we were studying the Crotons. When Jim & Judy Glock are looking through, the croton talk can be quite 'heated'. Judy can spot differences in cultivars that I can not see and it is a significant part of her plant addiction.

RDG2010-03-05_18-06-21.jpg

- 6:10PM: Back to the Dypsis talk... Bill had remembered from his last trip, where many of the Dypsis species were located in the yard. He and Jeff were comparing the growth rates of this Dypsis tsaratananensis near the corner of the yard. Notice the bright white petiole. Bill asked Jeff to show him his tongue for color comparison.

RDG2010-03-05_18-10-50.jpg

- 6:13PM: Near the center of the yard, Bill examines an unknown Dypsis sp. that has yet to be figured out while Jeff looks at a grouping of Dypsis psammophila.

RDG2010-03-05_18-13-38.jpg

- 6:24PM: "Feed Me!" The last photo from Friday shows Bill seconds before getting eaten whole by a Copernicia rigida.

RDG2010-03-05_18-24-30.jpg

...photos from a warmer Saturday coming next...

Ryan

South Florida

The second morning of the Extravaganza started out a little bit warmer than the day before. It was close to 45ºF (7.2ºC) inside the shadehouse shortly after opening at 8:00AM. The collectors that couldn't make it to the nursery on Friday morning arrived in groups steadily up until lunch time. When the BBQ grills started to fire up, a large surge of customers began to fill the sales area. I couldn't wait to see who would show up, but I knew they would be wearing cold weather gear yet again.

- Saturday, 8:35AM: Collecting plants has its hazards, especially to your feet. FM. Nyssa (SunnyFL) and her husband were in the first group to arrive to the nursery on Saturday morning. Even a busted foot couldn't keep her away and she piloted the wheelchair across difficult terrain very well.

RDG2010-03-06_08-35-31.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:56AM: It did not take long for Nyssa to fill her cart with various plants, including a Triangle-Teddy Bear Hybrid, Dypsis decaryi x leptocheilos along with a Croton and a Cordyline. There was room for one more plant...

RDG2010-03-06_08-56-32.jpg

- 9:02AM: To both thank and to surprise her, Jeff walked up and gave Nyssa a 7 gallon Dypsis onilahensis that she has always wanted. He put it right on their cart. She has been a fan of the species for a long time.

RDG2010-03-06_09-02-43.jpg

- 9:11AM: Brrr... Saturday morning came with a steady breeze that made it feel so much colder. Those who's desire for plants outweighed their irritation of the cold shopped along the main road with impunity. My fingers were starting to freeze so I sought shelter...

RDG2010-03-06_09-11-42.jpg

- 9:23AM: When Forum members start talking in person, it opens up all sorts of topics. One such conversation between FMs. Robert Wilson (RainForestt Robert) and Nyssa (SunnyFL) could only be interrupted by a customer shooting past while carrying a large Alocasia variety.

RDG2010-03-06_09-23-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:27AM: Sporting fashionable mittens/gloves; collector, volunteer and Forum member Jim Glock (jglock1) came over to discuss plant addiction and the Extravaganza with Robert and Nyssa.

RDG2010-03-06_09-27-15.jpg

- 9:51AM: I took a moment in between answering questions to make a run to the shed to see if there were any donuts left. :drool: The BBQ grills were being warmed up and other things were being done in preparation for the day's hungry customers. Tons of sodas were ready for the cooler and a good supply of chips were on hand for the masses...

RDG2010-03-06_09-51-53.jpg

- ...along with ample supplies of condiments and even more sodas and chips. By late on Sunday, all what you see here would be gone...

RDG2010-03-06_09-51-58.jpg

- 9:52AM: Pay dirt! I was surprised to find so many donuts left at close to ten in the morning, even with 4 boxes to start with. They were originally brought for volunteers but early customers are welcome to a sugary jolt. I knew Bill had not been here yet, so I grabbed a pair of donuts and headed back inside the shadehouse.

RDG2010-03-06_09-52-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:16AM: Traffic jams along the sidewalk are common during the Extravaganza and tend to increase in frequency approaching Saturday afternoon. This was near the side entrance to the main shadehouse and it worked itself out after a few minutes. I believe the woman on the left had cold hands...

RDG2010-03-06_10-16-03.jpg

- 10:19AM: The customer in the center looks a Caryota urens up and down, thinking on how to get it home.

RDG2010-03-06_10-19-34.jpg

- 10:20AM: With the arrival of Robert to the Extravaganza, it made remembering the past Biennial oh so much fun for Judy, Jim Glock and myself.

RDG2010-03-06_10-20-27.jpg

- 10:23AM: Let the planting continue. The planting vigor FM. Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms) brought with him to South Florida was hard to discourage. He continued with planting in the landscape area around the shadehouse and started with this Ravenea krociana volunteer. It has a lot of room to get very large.

RDG2010-03-06_10-23-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:24AM: “You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?” Bill does his best Clint Eastwood impersonation while standing over the newly planted Kentiopsis pyriformis.

RDG2010-03-06_10-24-04.jpg

- A young Cyphophoenix nucele poses with the BS Man... He was going for a New Caledonian/Madagascar look.

RDG2010-03-06_10-24-49.jpg

- 10:26AM: Bill had planted stuff so fast he started to pant... This Dypsis canaliculata was planted just across from the shadehouse entrance so it will be easily visible for years to come.

RDG2010-03-06_10-26-54.jpg

- 10:27AM: Turning around 180º, the aforementioned entrance was busy with customers, coming and going...

RDG2010-03-06_10-27-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:29AM: The large Carpoxylon macrospermum planted at the nursery was working on its second, third and fourth inflorescences after making it through the January cold. I had Bill provide scale for the height and diameter of the trunk. Customers were brought over to see the palm numerous times over the weekend by different volunteers.

RDG2010-03-06_10-29-14.jpg

- 10:31AM: The BBQ smoke started to move its way through the sales area enticing those waiting for a good lunch.

RDG2010-03-06_10-31-16.jpg

- 11:20AM: Grower, collector, herpetologist and FM. Ellis Brown (EllisB) makes his way through the shadehouse and stops to talk with Jeff, Rob and Jim.

RDG2010-03-06_11-20-29.jpg

- 11:24AM: Bill came down with his lunch and couldn't wait to eat. He was doing that 'eating air' thing again.

RDG2010-03-06_11-24-29.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:26AM: So many plants, so little time...

RDG2010-03-06_11-26-04.jpg

- The area just inside the shadehouse is always a hub of activity as many of the new plants for sale will be put on display here, along with Crotons, Aroids, Cordylines and other familiar exotics.

RDG2010-03-06_11-26-13.jpg

- I heard the noise level over at the barn area increase as customers began to get lunch. I swung around to get a photo of customers beginning to park their carts out front.

RDG2010-03-06_11-26-16.jpg

- New grandparents Rusty & Ellis Brown pose with determination.

RDG2010-03-06_11-26-20.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:26AM: The maidenhair ferns placed on the table to the right were a new group of plants put out for sale this spring. They didn't last long.

RDG2010-03-06_11-26-41.jpg

- 11:27AM: Jeff takes a short shift in front of one of the grills, turning the burgers over and grabbing one for himself and Jim, waiting nearby. I was looking for lunch myself, but will often photograph while in line.

RDG2010-03-06_11-27-43.jpg

- 11:29AM: The side road was lined with a spread of plants, containing flowering trees, fruit trees, Heliconias, ground orchids, and a few other exotics. I noticed one or two customers that headed straight to the BBQ lunch area as soon as they arrived. The aroma is powerful.

RDG2010-03-06_11-29-57.jpg

- 11:30AM: The parking lot out in front of the tables and chairs began to grow in size before noon on Saturday. It was fun to watch customers talk plants they had on their carts with other enthusiasts sitting at their table. I always get asked a question or two about their chosen plants as I photograph...

RDG2010-03-06_11-30-57.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:33AM: "Photograph or food, photograph or food..." I kept seeing would be photo-worthy situations while waiting for food so I compromised. I went through a bag of chips one handed...

RDG2010-03-06_11-33-12.jpg

- 11:34AM: It was a good thing we had plenty of food...

RDG2010-03-06_11-34-56.jpg

- 11:35AM: The wafting smoke was really this thick, no photoshopped effects here...

RDG2010-03-06_11-35-28.jpg

- I reached in and grabbed a burger real quick, no one noticed...

RDG2010-03-06_11-35-50.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:42AM: "Shhh... I'm hunting wabbits." Volunteer Shane Tanner gets into surveillance mode while waiting for the next customer needing a golf cart.

RDG2010-03-06_11-42-10.jpg

- 11:43AM: More golf carts with trailers were added to the sales area as the day got closer to noon. After they drop plants off outside at the parking lot, they come back around and wait here in line. The block of Bismarck Palms, Bismarckia nobilis, on the right were very popular this spring, as they did well in the cold.

RDG2010-03-06_11-43-24.jpg

- 11:55AM: FM. Rob van der Borg (Borgy230) went to slap the bottom of Shane's lunch plate... Shane is used to this by the way.

RDG2010-03-06_11-55-29.jpg

- 11:57AM: The section of the main road extending between the holding area and the full sun palms area was well tread upon during the weekend. Every customer coming in, and all plants going out have to go through here.

RDG2010-03-06_11-57-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida